Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Climbing On Furniture
Lilbutterflie 09:26 AM 01-13-2011
I have a 4 yo dcb who periodically has always had issues with climbing on furniture. Usually it's standing up on the couch (punishment is not getting to sit on the couch any longer), or standing or jumping on a bed (there is a twin size bed in one of the playrooms that is on the ground and used mainly for reading books or resting.

Lately, he has been doing all of those things AND yesterday he was using the bathroom, climbed on the countertop, and he was caught standing on the countertop (I have a double vanity in the bathroom they use). He was told at that time that if he was caught climbing on furniture again, EVER, he was going to be staying with me, by my side for the rest of the day. For safety reasons. He is old enough to know better, and if I cannot trust him he needs to be with me 100% of the time. My shadow.

Well, I just caught him climbing on top of a 3 foot high bookcase. It's a long bookcase, sturdy, pretty close to the ground; but still a major safety concern. I am LIVID right now! He is now sitting at my feet as I write this, he will be my shadow for the rest of the day. Any suggestions on what to do if he tries this again?? I hope this is enough to teach him a lesson, but what should be my next step if it doesn't do the trick?
marniewon 09:54 AM 01-13-2011
He is truly old enough to know better than to do all that!!! If he were here, he'd get a good talking to about how he is not allowed to "climb" on anything and then contain him to an area where there is nothing to climb on until he can earn back his freedom to play where he wants.
SandeeAR 12:22 PM 01-13-2011
Pop him in a pack and play with about 3 toys. Tell him if he tries to get out, that he will be standing in the corner. Tell him if he is going to act like a baby and climb on dangerous things, then you are going to treat him like a baby and keep him safe.
lvt77 12:35 PM 01-13-2011
I had a climber, age 2, knocked over everything that was not bolted down..
I try my best to keep the kids so busy that they dont have time to wonder off to do these things, but we all know we cant be every where they are.

I told him how unsafe it was and that he could get really hurt. Maybe he would cut his hand or his head or something to that extent.

We talked about who can climb and where...monkies climb , cats climb and etc. but he was a boy and boys don't climb on things... I tried to bing the humor out of it, since getting upset about it did nothing for this child....

I had to remind him every 30 minutes feet stay on the floor.

I eventually went out and bought one of those crawl through tunnles that he could climb through in and out of....
it was a phase and eventually stopped.
momatheart 12:43 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
He is truly old enough to know better than to do all that!!! If he were here, he'd get a good talking to about how he is not allowed to "climb" on anything and then contain him to an area where there is nothing to climb on until he can earn back his freedom to play where he wants.
agree with this one.
Lilbutterflie 03:53 PM 01-13-2011
He was my shadow for a good four hours until his mom came to pick him up. I purposely did lots of running around the house doing chores, and he did a good job of literally being my shadow. The worst for him was when they all got to watch his absolute favorite Thomas DVD while waiting for DCM to pick up, but he didn't get to b/c he was with me in the kitchen. I think he has learned his lesson. We shall see!!
After telling DCM about his behavior, her first reaction was to take away some of his toys at home and have a long timeout at home. I told her that I thought his punishment here would be enough, I kind of think it's a little much to punish at home too. I'm glad she supports me in trying to turn his behavior around, but sometimes I think she goes a little overboard & doesn't allow them to be KIDS. Which may be the reason that they act out. I dunno, I'm just rambling when I should be doing laundry...
legomom922 04:07 PM 01-13-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I have a 4 yo dcb who periodically has always had issues with climbing on furniture. Usually it's standing up on the couch (punishment is not getting to sit on the couch any longer), or standing or jumping on a bed (there is a twin size bed in one of the playrooms that is on the ground and used mainly for reading books or resting.
First of all, after what I have been through on my thread, is take the bed out of the room before anyone starts misinterpreting it's use......

Secondly, severe consequences are to be in order here and is a hill to die on, because of the extreme danger to his behavior, and his parents are going to have to talk to him about this every day until this stops, and if he continues, it may be time to let him go. Thats crazy that you have to go through this everyday!
Lilbutterflie 04:37 PM 01-13-2011
LOL Legomom! On a side note, I'm sorry if it all came off as harsh in your thread. I was one of them who was saying your dcg shouldn't be in your DS's room. Really, truly, I was just trying to give you some advice to prevent a future HUGE problem. I think that was most everyone's intent, too. Sometimes in this forum it comes off as judging, but I certainly didn't mean it that way.

Yes, the room itself is actually going to go from being playroom #2 to being my son's bedroom. The twin size bed will become his (he currently is sleeping in a toddler bed in his 6yo sister's room). I don't know if you read about my other thread, but my son is the one that is too scared to sleep alone in his room. So, in a couple weeks they only have ONE playroom with no beds!
Live and Learn 06:54 PM 01-13-2011
Lil butterfly,
How is your son doing with the idea of sleeping in his own room. Did you try sleeping in there to listen for noises?
QualiTcare 07:34 PM 01-13-2011
climbing is awesome
mac60 03:15 AM 01-14-2011
This first time he stood on the couch, he would have been immediately in the corner. The second time....back for longer....and so on.....same for the other behaviors. First time time out.....do it again.....back for longer TO. Crawling on your bathroom counter....hmm, he would be watched everytime he went pee from now on. I don't do shadowing, misbehave at age 4, you will have a nice quiet day in TO. Why is everyone so afraid to say no to a child and have a consequence for bad behavior and even behaviors that can cause injury.
BentleysBands 04:31 AM 01-14-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
This first time he stood on the couch, he would have been immediately in the corner. The second time....back for longer....and so on.....same for the other behaviors. First time time out.....do it again.....back for longer TO. Crawling on your bathroom counter....hmm, he would be watched everytime he went pee from now on. I don't do shadowing, misbehave at age 4, you will have a nice quiet day in TO. Why is everyone so afraid to say no to a child and have a consequence for bad behavior and even behaviors that can cause injury.
Ditto. At 4 he knows better! Period.
Tags:climbers
Reply Up