Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dear Michael...
Heidi 08:44 AM 02-08-2012
Is there any way possible to add a chat room option to this site?

Years ago we had another site (long since gone) with forums like this, and a "nap time chat", where registered users (only) could "come in" and talk.
Just wondering if that could be done?
Blackcat31 08:55 AM 02-08-2012
How is a chat room any different than what we do now?

(wow, that sounded snarky....) LOL!!!

It is NOT, I am just really computer illiterate and have no clue what that means....
MarinaVanessa 09:20 AM 02-08-2012
Oooh how fun. I wonder how hard that would be to do?

PS: Chat rooms are live and you can see what everyone is typing in real time without having to reload the page. There won't be topics and conversations and responses won't be saved however it would be nice to be able to just say hi.
Heidi 09:41 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Oooh how fun. I wonder how hard that would be to do?

PS: Chat rooms are live and you can see what everyone is typing in real time without having to reload the page. There won't be topics and conversations and responses won't be saved however it would be nice to be able to just say hi.
and since it's only registered users, hopefully it won't be quite so...uuhhh..trolly.

Also, there tend's to be more off-topic conversation because people feel like they can reveal more of themselves without the "whole world" being able to see.
MommyofThree 10:15 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
and since it's only registered users, hopefully it won't be quite so...uuhhh..trolly.

Also, there tend's to be more off-topic conversation because people feel like they can reveal more of themselves without the "whole world" being able to see.
Just an FYI, anybody could use a fake made up name and be registered and still be a troll lol. So not all that rather not take the time to sign up are trolls
countrymom 10:29 AM 02-08-2012
I think it would be fun.
Heidi 11:18 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by melissathayer28:
Just an FYI, anybody could use a fake made up name and be registered and still be a troll lol. So not all that rather not take the time to sign up are trolls
Oh, I know that! I did not mean to suggest that every unregistered user is a troll, either. I asked a few questions before I was registered myself.

And, registering is not guarantee against trolls, either. Obviously, we're not asking for ID and resume's.

It's just less likely, maybe...
Michael 11:58 AM 02-08-2012
This topic has come up before. The reason, as BlackCat stated, was content not being available for search. Chat is just that...chat, and not indexed. I am thinking of maybe starting a FaceBook page for Daycare.com but it bothers me that FB controls so much as it is and they save their chat logs. Their chat maybe helpful and our members could be the only ones we allow to sign up for the group. I will give it some thought.
Heidi 12:27 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
This topic has come up before. The reason, as BlackCat stated, was content not being available for search. Chat is just that...chat, and not indexed. I am thinking of maybe starting a FaceBook page for Daycare.com but it bothers me that FB controls so much as it is and they save their chat logs. Their chat maybe helpful and our members could be the only ones we allow to sign up for the group. I will give it some thought.
Just to be clear, the idea would be to still have the forums for questions. The chat room would just be an added feature, a place to "hang out" at nap time. Maybe there would be less venting threads because people could get in there, swear their little heads off, and then go back and be nice on the forums?
mac60 12:27 PM 02-08-2012
Why does everything have to be saved for future reference. Sometimes when having a bad day, or dealing with a bad situation, we may like to post things at the moment, to get an answer, but not want the issue to be on public display for ever and ever. A big reason I quit posting so much. I just feel if I post it, it is mine, and I have the right to remove it if wanted/necessary.
Heidi 12:31 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Why does everything have to be saved for future reference. Sometimes when having a bad day, or dealing with a bad situation, we may like to post things at the moment, to get an answer, but not want the issue to be on public display for ever and ever. A big reason I quit posting so much. I just feel if I post it, it is mine, and I have the right to remove it if wanted/necessary.
yeah like that...say it, get a pat on the back...move on...lol Grab a sandwich once the kids are down, sit down for a kaffe klastch.

There would always be threads of "how do I deal with biting", and "WWYD" and "Hi, I am a new provider...". But some of the more immediate things "I can't believe dcm did this!" and "My husband is such a creep today.." don't need to be archived (and it's probably better if they're not).

Anyway, if the technology exists, sign me up...
SandeeAR 12:55 PM 02-08-2012
That was why a while back, I suggested the "off topic" area to Michael. In hope that it could be used as a Daily Chat.

We did that on an ebay forum years ago. Whomever was on first in the morning (usually the West Coasters) would start an thread that said... Example: Wednesday Morning's Coffee Pot.

Everyone would go there when they were on and chit chat. We would constantly check the threads on the forum to see if we needed to replay and then go back to the "chat thread".
godiva83 01:00 PM 02-08-2012
I LOVE the idea
Would really keep me entertained on bed rest!

If on Facebook, would that then mean we would lose the 'anonymity' of our user names? I am not 100% certain I would utilize it, if that were the case. I like to still remain somewhat anonymous - nothing to hide, but if I wanted certain people's opinions I would ask them directly KWIM

I also agree that not EVERYTHING needs to be archived, like the typical 'water cooler' talk get it out, get it over with, move on. Maybe then the parents that utilize the forum would not see as much venting and paint such a bad picture of the providers that sometimes use the forum as a place to vent certain frustrations.

I think it would only add to the forum not take away from the board. I know I would still post important questions I need advice on.

We could always make a thread 'Wednesday's Chat'
Countrygal 02:24 PM 02-08-2012
Great idea, bbo!

For nap time, but maybe eves, too??

I've been on forums with chat before and you feel like you get to know the people better. You tend to get a better "feel" for their personality as well, which I think lessens "misunderstandings" on the board, at least for the ones who choose to participate in chat.

I've only been very active on one chat board that was connected to a forum before - that was an ADHD site. Seems like a pretty similar situation to me. I think it might not only be fun, but helpful.

Someone could get on and say "QUICK" I need a snack idea! Instant answer, if anyone is online!
Michael 02:55 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:
Well FB saves everything. It is going to cost me several hundred dollars but if it makes all of you happy I will buy it.

I hope it turns out the way you had hoped. Be looking for the CHAT link in the dark blue link section near the top of the forum.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 02-08-2012
Just a thought, but I think we should take more advantage of social groups as well. It is a neat way to share with those who have similarities and such... https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.ph...l&titlesonly=0
Crazy8 03:22 PM 02-08-2012
I think its a great idea. I am on a finance and budgeting board and they have all their forums for regular posting/questions, etc. but there is a chat option up top that you can go in to talk "live" to whoever else is on there. Its more of a conversation than a post/answer thing.

And I wouldn't want to do it thru FB at all.... no matter your privacy settings, there are too many things on there that can be seen by others!!
MommieNana4 03:50 PM 02-08-2012
I also would not do it on FaceBook!
Michael 05:00 PM 02-08-2012
OK, I did purchase a chat program but I realized I could use a free one first. CLick on the CHAT link and let me know if that works ok for you.
Heidi 05:16 PM 02-08-2012
Chat link? I am not seeing it. probably could bite me, right?

Once we all find it, anyone who's interested, please "meet" me in the chatroom at 12:00-1:00 central time tommorow. I'll stay for a while as people come in and out.

From past experience, it'll be a lot like a classroom. The first day will be akward and no one will really get into the discussion. A week later, we'll all be pros and have 7 conversations going at once!
Crazy8 05:20 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Chat link? I am not seeing it. probably could bite me, right?

Once we all find it, anyone who's interested, please "meet" me in the chatroom at 12:00-1:00 central time tommorow. I'll stay for a while as people come in and out.

From past experience, it'll be a lot like a classroom. The first day will be akward and no one will really get into the discussion. A week later, we'll all be pros and have 7 conversations going at once!
looks like it is up top, between User CP and FAQ.
PitterPatter 06:03 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
On FB we wouldn't be in secret though. Assuming we would all post under our current accounts and not make up a false one to use there.
MyAngels 07:21 PM 02-08-2012
I just clicked on the chat link - I only stayed for a minute, but only Michael and Michelle were there - but it looks like it has potential. I'll be checking in tomorrow at naptime .
Michael 07:28 PM 02-08-2012
There were about 10 members when I first put it up around 6pm pst. It is only the free version at the moment. I am stil trying to get the paid, licensed version up in the next couple days. It has an admin and other functions that I hope to get working soon. PM me if you have any concerns or questions.
Countrygal 04:38 AM 02-09-2012
I thought there was one available on this provider. Used to run a forum through this - it's PCPP or (whatever???), isn't it? Sorry I didn't speak up sooner. As you get older the memory is the first to go.............
Tags:chat, chatter
Reply Up