Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Oh Boy... Email Received via my Website
Lyss 08:05 PM 09-22-2012
I got this today:

"Hello! I am a newly single mom of my 27 month old son. I work for a non-profit organization, managing a group home. I want to be able to stay in my current home with my son, but it only allows me about 200-250 a month for daycare. I work a typical 8-4 ish M-F work week. Can you help?"

That's less than half my full time rate (which is on my website)! I realize she's going through a hard time but because she wants to live outside her means I'm supposed to take a hit instead? Sorry! ugh! People!
Sugar Magnolia 05:48 AM 09-23-2012
"Hi Power Company. We are a family of four, and would really love to enjoy your electricity. We prefer to run the air conditioning, but I can only afford $50 a month. Can you help?"

The world just doesn't work that way. So frustrating.
EarthyMom 06:19 AM 09-23-2012
State help?

I am curious if you could redirect her to the department of children and family services for some help. She may not be aware of any childcare programs. In NJ we have a head start program for low income families, as well as state funding.

I cannot imagine someone is that rude to think you would discount your services by that much as a charitable service. Maybe she is really desperate and doesn't know her options?

I love this board, you really do hear it all!
Former Teacher 07:19 AM 09-23-2012
Oh brother....

Another sob story. Let me grab my tissues.
providerandmomof4 08:29 AM 09-23-2012
I find it hard to believe that she works at a group home, yet isn't aware of social and family services? My thinking was that even non-profit organizations relied on state funding to a degree, and she would be more likely than most to be aware of programs for low income people....
EarthyMom 08:32 AM 09-23-2012
true!

What did you tell her? Just trying to soak up all this for when I get started so I can learn as much as possible from the veterans. I tend to be a yes person, but want to be able to professionally and effectively say no when I don't want to say yes.
saved4always 10:44 AM 09-23-2012
Why are you not jumping to do this for her??? Just kidding!

I know childcare seems expensive but really, don't people like this realize that they are asking someone to work for pennies an hour? And, unfortunately, that is not much of an exageration on my part. I agree with the post that you should just answer her with information on how to get help from the state. I know that there are people out there that truly cannot afford childcare and do need local or state assistance so they can work. I have no problem helping people who are not as fortunate as I am. I try to be a generous person because God has blessed me so much. But, I do not do my charitable giving through my job and what I make as a wage every day.
Lyss 11:11 AM 09-23-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
"Hi Power Company. We are a family of four, and would really love to enjoy your electricity. We prefer to run the air conditioning, but I can only afford $50 a month. Can you help?"
Lol! This is what I was thinking!

Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I find it hard to believe that she works at a group home, yet isn't aware of social and family services? My thinking was that even non-profit organizations relied on state funding to a degree, and she would be more likely than most to be aware of programs for low income people....
I agree, the community program that runs most of the group homes in our area also has all kinds of programs for low income and single parent housing and offers help getting onto state programs.

I'm guessing her landlord is not willing to accept state housing assistance vouchers (they are not required to in our state). In her email she included pictures of her and her child, I didn't realize until I responded back but she also included ones of her home, honestly it looks nicer and larger than mine.

Originally Posted by saved4always:
I agree with the post that you should just answer her with information on how to get help from the state. I know that there are people out there that truly cannot afford childcare and do need local or state assistance so they can work. I have no problem helping people who are not as fortunate as I am. I try to be a generous person because God has blessed me so much. But, I do not do my charitable giving through my job and what I make as a wage every day.
I agree, I did send her links to the states housing assistance website and phone numbers for the housing program just in case but who knows if her landlord will accept it or if she qualifies. All I know is I'm worth more than that!
Unregistered 03:15 PM 09-23-2012
I guess I'd be asking her if her ex is picking up the other half of your fee!
dave4him 03:18 PM 09-23-2012
I dont know what you can really do. Even state aid through DHS doesnt pay much but is better than that.
Tags:bad economy, parents - are clueless
Reply Up