Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Ended Special Yesterday
Unregistered 07:33 AM 06-08-2016
I've been a pretty lenient home daycare, but also have had good parents over the past 2 years. Yesterday I ended all favors, special, and I am now charging late fees. It's in my contract, but has never been enforced.

I feel like a new person today My parents are awesome, but they also take advantage of me on occasion.

So my question is in regards to the winter months and travel. How do you handle parents who are late due to bad weather? I live in a state where it's not unusual to get blizzards and snowstorms for 3-4 months out of the year.
childcaremom 07:47 AM 06-08-2016
I still charge late fees. I have it written along the lines to plan their travel times accordingly as late fees still apply. I also state that if there are work issues or travel issues that would prevent them from being here on time that they are responsible for having one of their authorized pick up people come for their child. Late fees still apply.

I have to pay late fees NO MATTER WHAT at my dds afterschool program. I feel it is only fair to make the same policy here.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've been a pretty lenient hone daycare, but also have had good parents over the past 2 years. Yesterday I ended all favors, special, and I am now charging late fees. It's in my contract, but has never been enforced.

I feel like a new person today My parents are awesome, but they also take advantage of me on occasion.

So my question is in regards to the winter months and travel. How do you handle parents who are late due to bad weather? I live in a state where it's not unusual to get blizzards and snowstorms for 3-4 months out of the year.
I live in northern MN. We have winter for 10 months out of the year.... Everyone who lives here knows that extra planning has to happen when it's snowing and in all my years of living here we've never had a flash blizzard...it's always predicted so parents need to make plans to NOT be late.

I am at work every day as promised so I expect the same from them. If they are late, they are charged a fee.
BrynleeJean 08:11 AM 06-08-2016
I also am not charging my fees and think it's time for a change! Love it!

How do y'all go about charging the late fee?
(If in allowed to ask here I'm sorry if not)

Just a verbal, "hey it's a dollar a minute you owe right now?"
Or a notice you send home that day for payment the next day or next time tuition is due?
Unregistered 08:12 AM 06-08-2016
OP here. I'm realizing I've been way too lenient. Shoot.
Ariana 08:16 AM 06-08-2016
I give a parent 15 minutes after their scheduled pickup time. After that they get charged $15 plus $1 a minute afterwards. I have only had to charge a late fee once.
MunchkinWrangler 08:28 AM 06-08-2016
I expect them to plan ahead. It's not like there is a snowstorm everyday. Just like they would have to plan to get to work on time, I expect them to be punctual for pick up. I also give a heads up about possible weather situations.

So far, IME, no one wants to get caught in a storm while trying to get home with their kids, so I have had everyone choose to pick up earlier on their own.
Unregistered 08:50 AM 06-08-2016
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
I also am not charging my fees and think it's time for a change! Love it!

How do y'all go about charging the late fee?
(If in allowed to ask here I'm sorry if not)

Just a verbal, "hey it's a dollar a minute you owe right now?"
Or a notice you send home that day for payment the next day or next time tuition is due?
My fee schedule is set up to cause me the least amount of stress with late fees. If dcf's pick up by 4:00, they owe "x". 5:00, they owe so much more. 5:30 (closing time) is my highest rate.

My late fees start at 5:31 p.m. with a $5 initial charge and then $1 per minute. So 5:31 is $5, 5:32 is $6, 5:33 is $7. It's been in my contract (OP Here), I just haven't been implementing it.

As far as weekly fees, I charge the lowest possible rate, due in advance, by electonic payment by Monday. My lowest is $30 a day, so everyone owes me $150 on Monday. If they pickup after 4:00, I add the fees to the next weeks online payment. Generally only the first payment is $150. I only have 1 dcf that is here by 4 every day.
childcaremom 08:55 AM 06-08-2016
|I have a form that I put in their bag with the amount of time late they were and how much they owe. That it is due in cash tomorrow at drop off or no care will be provided.
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 06-09-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I give a parent 15 minutes after their scheduled pickup time. After that they get charged $15 plus $1 a minute afterwards. I have only had to charge a late fee once.
Me too. I have a 15 min grace period after my closing time, for OCCASIONAL situations, preferable WITH prior notification. If a parent consistently comes in 5 min late I'd charge a late fee.
Tags:late fees, no more mrs nice girl, special treatment
Reply Up