Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Dispose of Diapers?
dolores 01:58 PM 03-02-2020
We would put diaper in plastic bag, tie it tightly and place in sealed garbage can. We found this contained odors. However, plastic bags have been banned, for good reason, and whatever supply I have now will be gone soon. How do you dispose of dirty diapers and keep the smell out?
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
We would put diaper in plastic bag, tie it tightly and place in sealed garbage can. We found this contained odors. However, plastic bags have been banned, for good reason, and whatever supply I have now will be gone soon. How do you dispose of dirty diapers and keep the smell out?
I buy bio-degradable doggie doo doo bags for really smelly diapers.
Regular diapers get rolled and tossed into the covered garbage can out of reach of the kids.

The doggie bags are inexpensive and easy to use as they come on rolls. Some even have scents.
Cat Herder 02:12 PM 03-02-2020
I take them to an outdoor can just outside my back door after each cycle of checks/changes. I don't keep them indoors. At the end of the day, I take the outdoor can to the big bins that are taken to the curb once per week.

Right now I use the plastic grocery bags but in the past, I have used the paper ones, too. It depends on which store I buy from.
Valerie928 03:01 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I buy bio-degradable doggie doo doo bags for really smelly diapers.
Regular diapers get rolled and tossed into the covered garbage can out of reach of the kids.

The doggie bags are inexpensive and easy to use as they come on rolls. Some even have scents.
This is what I do too! It is working well
284878 04:11 PM 03-02-2020
Since I can't take diapers out side as easily. I can a steel diaper pail. (My plastic one was to stinky after 7 years) The one I got is Ubbi, I got it from Amazon marketplace, it has a dent on the side (just happens to be the side against the wall) so I got it for cheap.

It contains the smell well but it stunk when opened, so I put a box of fridge baking soda in the bottom and that has helped.

There are other brands, but I liked this one because it uses regularly bags.
Jupadia 06:53 AM 03-03-2020
I use a diaper genie. I just tie up the bag , and put it into the compost bin. (Our city actually takes disposable diapers in the compost bin).
Ariana 08:23 AM 03-03-2020
I use a diaper genie as well. I do use plastic bags to send home dirty clothes however so I am not sure what i will do when the bags run out as each grocery store phases them out.
daycarediva 10:51 AM 03-03-2020
we just invert our heavy duty plastic gloves over the diapers, one from each 'end' and it seals it pretty well without adding additional plastic waste. They go into a lidded wastebasket in the bathroom and I empty it 1-2x/day

Odoban helps with odors. Love that stuff!
AmyKidsCo 01:08 PM 03-03-2020
Wet ones go in the under-sink kitchen garbage. Poopy ones go right outside into the garbage can.
Unregistered 05:45 AM 03-04-2020
You can buy plastic bags on amazon if needed.
Unregistered 04:56 PM 03-04-2020
pooped diapers go inside gloves. Just grab a tightly rolled diaper and pull a glove off from your hand and on the diaper, Then grab it by the other hand and repeat the action with the second glove.
dolores 07:23 AM 03-05-2020
Thanks to all who replied! How many diapers does the diaper gennie hold at a time and does smell get out (from diapers already in there) when you open it to deposit diapers?
Jupadia 08:38 AM 03-05-2020
It depends on size of diapers. I have had five kids requiring changes then the bag would last a day to two before changing. When a only have a couple requiring changes then it last a few more days. Overall gets good at keeping smells down, but overtime the plastic dose abosobe smells. My upstairs genie used for about 7 years was tossed out. (My kids have now outgrown diapers so it was not needed). Got the daycare one for free from amazon, (they were giving a free one away if you made a registry, did not actually have to be having baby). When it start to stick (the plastic) I'll probably replace it with a metal pail.
Tags:biodegradable, diaper genie, diapers - storing, disposable - diapers, odor, poop smell
Reply Up