Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-12-2020, 06:36 AM
twirlerzmom's Avatar
twirlerzmom twirlerzmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10
Default Shut Down Policies Due to Coronavirus

So we have 2 confirmed cases of covid-19 in my small county. So far schools are not shut down but preparing for alternate learning arrangements just in case. My question is if the state shuts childcare centers down do you think parents should still be charged weekly fees or no? Iíd like to be nice and say no but unfortunately I canít afford weeks on end with no pay. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2020, 06:44 AM
Ac114's Avatar
Ac114 Ac114 is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 565
Default

I was just having this convo with the husband. I donít know what the right call is. I canít go weeks without pay either.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2020, 06:55 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirlerzmom View Post
So we have 2 confirmed cases of covid-19 in my small county. So far schools are not shut down but preparing for alternate learning arrangements just in case. My question is if the state shuts childcare centers down do you think parents should still be charged weekly fees or no? Iíd like to be nice and say no but unfortunately I canít afford weeks on end with no pay. Thoughts?
Are you a center or in home?

I wouldn't panic simply because schools are closing.

I am in MN next door and we are in the middle of the peak cold and flu season so like I posted in another thread, anyone with symptoms more than likely has a cold or the flu.

Just be firm and consistent with health routines and exclusion policies. That's all you can really do.

Unless I myself got the virus, I am open for business.
IF I had to close. I'd still charge as this is my business and bills still need to get paid. As always.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12 AM
twirlerzmom's Avatar
twirlerzmom twirlerzmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Are you a center or in home?

I wouldn't panic simply because schools are closing.

I am in MN next door and we are in the middle of the peak cold and flu season so like I posted in another thread, anyone with symptoms more than likely has a cold or the flu.

Just be firm and consistent with health routines and exclusion policies. That's all you can really do.

Unless I myself got the virus, I am open for business.
IF I had to close. I'd still charge as this is my business and bills still need to get paid. As always.
Iím an in home center. We already received notice we are to follow the CDC guidelines at this time. There is talk of possibly shutting schools and childcare centers down but itís not being done at the current time. Iím wondering what I should do if Iím forced to close down. I still need to pay my bills.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:19 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,949
Default

Im afraid my state is entering the panic mode. Many are working from home and the colleges across the state are closing along with state buildings.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:28 AM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,117
Default

This is my only worry...I can't afford to not work or not get paid.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:50 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,949
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
This is my only worry...I can't afford to not work or not get paid.
My contract states if the "state deems it necessary for us to close for no electricity or water, natural disaster, etc. (but not limited to) payment is due. So most are able to work at home so they will be getting paid anyway. Trump is doing things to help with this, too.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Tin Blues's Avatar
Tin Blues Tin Blues is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Montana
Posts: 93
Default

I already wrote a note to my parents letting them know I may close as the coronavirus gets close, told them to get ready and start making a plan. Iíll write them a check and refund money as needed. I plan to go to ground before thereís a mandatory lockdown or quarantine. My parents canít afford to pay me when Iím closed. The majority already live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings. Theyíre young and absolutely clueless.

Iím diabetic and also have high blood pressure.
The death rate for diabetics is 7.3% and for high blood pressure is 6%.

The health system in Lombardy Italy is rated a 9.9 out of 10, one of the best places in the world for health care. And they are totally overwhelmed. Thereís no way our small rural community will have the health resources to deal with this. So my best bet is to distance myself early. And I know my daycare parents arenít taking this serious enough. Iíve warned them a couple times, itís up to them to protect their family.

Iím hoping our government makes swift and proactive decisions, but fear they wonít until itís too late. Ground all flights, close the borders, enact lockdown in affected areas and close schools as needed.

Iíve prepared as best I could, starting back in January when you could see this was coming. But Iím still terrified Iím going to get this despite my best efforts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2020, 09:51 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
My contract states if the "state deems it necessary for us to close for no electricity or water, natural disaster, etc. (but not limited to) payment is due. So most are able to work at home so they will be getting paid anyway. Trump is doing things to help with this, too.
My contract says the same thing.
This isn't something I can control so I would still charge and consider this a natural disaster type thing.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 AM
twirlerzmom's Avatar
twirlerzmom twirlerzmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
My contract says the same thing.
This isn't something I can control so I would still charge and consider this a natural disaster type thing.
But what if I donít have something in my contract pertaining to natural disasters? Do you think itís unfair to still charge parents? I think some of my parents could work from home so they would be getting paid. But if I have to close for more than 1 week and donít get paid ill fall behind financially. It wouldnít have been so bad but I just took off a week for vacation in February which I did not charge my families for. I do have in my contract that I can take 3 weeks vacation 1 of which would be paid.

Also, our Gov just declared a public health emergency in our state. We may be forced to close if more cases show up.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Firefly's Avatar
Firefly Firefly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 116
Default

I donít have anything in my policies about natural disasters either and I donít know what to do about payment should I need to close. I charge for days the kids donít come but I donít charge for days Iím sick or if I take a vacation. I havenít sent any memos or anything out to parents yet and I need to but I donít know what to tell them about payment. What do you all think is fair?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,949
Default

I also have listed "Fee is due 52 weeks per year, no exceptions!" That would suffice, too even if you didn't mention the natural disasters.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,904
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by twirlerzmom View Post
But what if I donít have something in my contract pertaining to natural disasters? Do you think itís unfair to still charge parents? I think some of my parents could work from home so they would be getting paid. But if I have to close for more than 1 week and donít get paid ill fall behind financially. It wouldnít have been so bad but I just took off a week for vacation in February which I did not charge my families for. I do have in my contract that I can take 3 weeks vacation 1 of which would be paid.

Also, our Gov just declared a public health emergency in our state. We may be forced to close if more cases show up.
Yes I still think it is fair and reasonable to require parents to pay IF the state makes you shut down temporarily.

If you are well and can continue providing services I would do so, excluding those that are showing symptoms.

If you should get sick or are required to close, I would let parents know they still need to pay because there are still costs associated with child care regardless of whether children are present or not. Just like rent/mortgage payments for parents....still due whether you were home or not.

I would probably only be comfortable doing this for 2 weeks. After two weeks, I'd review the situation and decide how to proceed at that point.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,639
Default

I sent out a little blurb to parents yesterday on my daycare’s FB page. I said I would be much more strict with my illness policy, meaning ANY flu like symptoms are going to be excluded for..not just excessive symptoms. I also said I would shut down if daycare centres are required to shut down and/or if any of my or their family members get it. I did not mention pay at all so have not decided.

My husband has severe asthma and I have elderly parents so it is not worth it to me. We are well prepared if I do not receive a pay check for a while thankfully. My husband is able to work from home so that is a relief. If not we would have to dip into savings.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2020, 12:05 PM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,292
Default

Generally, I don't charge for my closings because I work them into the front-end of my tuition rate. As such, during a forced closure, I intend to meet them half-way at 50% tuition since neither of us would have advance notice to prepare.

I think it would have to get really bad for them to shut down small family providers, though. With 6 kids, we really don't have the same statistical risks or comings and goings that large centers do.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 778
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Generally, I don't charge for my closings because I work them into the front-end of my tuition rate. As such, during a forced closure, I intend to meet them half-way at 50% tuition since neither of us would have advance notice to prepare.

I think it would have to get really bad for them to shut down small family providers, though. With 6 kids, we really don't have the same statistical risks or comings and goings that large centers do.
This was what I've been thinking of telling parents if I'm forced to close they will only pay 50%. Generally I dont charge for my sick days or vacation but this dose not fall into that category.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-12-2020, 03:45 PM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,639
Default

I have decided to close since schools here are all closed for 3 weeks. If my husband didnít have asthma I would probably stay open but donít want to take any chances.

Only one of my families will be negatively impacted but that family is part time, has family in the area and dad can work from home. Not ideal for them but hopefully doable. The other two families are off anyway.

Was really hoping it wouldnít come to this. Time to hunker down and stay healthy everyone!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-13-2020, 03:47 AM
Gemma's Avatar
Gemma Gemma is online now
Childcare Provider
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: U.S.A
Posts: 1,024
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
I have decided to close since schools here are all closed for 3 weeks. If my husband didnít have asthma I would probably stay open but donít want to take any chances.

Only one of my families will be negatively impacted but that family is part time, has family in the area and dad can work from home. Not ideal for them but hopefully doable. The other two families are off anyway.

Was really hoping it wouldnít come to this. Time to hunker down and stay healthy everyone!
I'm sitting here wondering if I should do the same, now that they closed All school in the State.
Are we allowed to make the decision to close or do we have to wait till DHS makes the call?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
I'm sitting here wondering if I should do the same, now that they closed All school in the State.
Are we allowed to make the decision to close or do we have to wait till DHS makes the call?
I am in Canada so I donít know. I would assume if you are licensed you would have to wait for an authority to tell you to close? Government run daycares here are closed but for profit daycares are open.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-13-2020, 11:33 AM
kidsncats's Avatar
kidsncats kidsncats is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 21
Default

I care for very young kids from 3 families. All three families have at least one parent that travels frequently for their job, and this is a concern for me as my husband is a vulnerable person in regards to this virus.

I have already given them notice that I will be closing. I hope to stay open one more week, but two more positive cases of coronavirus have been identified within 20 miles of me. I won't be charging the parents while I'm closed, but I also won't be issuing refunds of deposits/holding fees. I am planning that I will be starting over when this is all said and done.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 PM
flying_babyb's Avatar
flying_babyb flying_babyb is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 860
Default

Well wisconsin just shut down schools. Hopefully daycares are not next
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2020, 12:02 AM
Lil_Diddle's Avatar
Lil_Diddle Lil_Diddle is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 172
Default

Iím a home provider that watches mostly teacher kids. Our school district starts spring break Monday, and is considering staying closed an additional week or two. Today I had 3 of my teacher parents ask if I was going to be closed if school closes. The parents will be home! Iím not sure what kind of work they will be doing from home, so I donít want to judge. But I did just say, Iím not making any decisions until it gets closer and see how things are. My handbook does say that they pay from the first day of school until the last day.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-14-2020, 05:45 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle View Post
Iím a home provider that watches mostly teacher kids. Our school district starts spring break Monday, and is considering staying closed an additional week or two. Today I had 3 of my teacher parents ask if I was going to be closed if school closes. The parents will be home! Iím not sure what kind of work they will be doing from home, so I donít want to judge. But I did just say, Iím not making any decisions until it gets closer and see how things are. My handbook does say that they pay from the first day of school until the last day.
All of my teacher clients will be doing their lectures and classes via skype meetings. They have to write and edit lesson plans as needed for the kids with no internet and mail or personally deliver their work to their homes. They were forced to give out their personal phone numbers. They still have to meet all the same educational requirements.

I am staying open and all of my teacher's kids were here. Our schools shut down Friday through the 27th. They are considering going through to April 10th, now.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
billing, closing due to covid-19, closing due to illness, closing due to pandemic, coronavirus, illness policy, tuition - discount, tuition - pricing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Family That Doesn't Get Policies Mom2Two Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 08-22-2017 05:05 PM
How Do You Conduct Interviews? Present Policies? etc DaisyMamma Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 08-19-2014 01:12 PM
Policies and Clients Second Home Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 03-27-2014 07:48 AM
Why Was A Daycare Shut Down? Angelmamaof2 Parents and Guardians Forum 5 09-20-2012 07:03 PM
Policies chouavang Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-11-2010 03:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:24 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming