Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:53 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default For Tom: Record keeping & MMK

I have been reading your record keeping book and of course it talks about keeping records for milage, expenses, time spent cleaning daycare things etc etc., My question is, if we log all this info into MMK, is that a good enough record? Or are we suppose to also have a written log of things like this? If would seem kinds redundant to keep a log and log everything into MMK.

Also, as fat as keeping track of milage, is it good enough that we keep track of the TOTAL miles to the grocery store etc, such as "went to grocery store, 20 miles round trip" or do we HAVE to write the odometer reading each trip? I keep alittle note book in my car, and have only been keeping track of date, destination and total miles, then I transfer the info into MMK and throw out the notebook paper.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:34 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Record Keeping

You can use Minute Menu software to track mileage and hours worked. You shouldn't use it as a substitute for business receipts. Also, you do not need to keep odometer readings. Since you are already writing down mileage on notepaper I'd advise saving the note paper because it might help if audited. For tracking mileage your Minute Menu records should be adequate for places you went where you didn't spend any money. But you should save receipts and other records (calendar notations) for places you go where you did spend money. This can help support your claim.

As a general rule you need to be keeping "adequate records" to track your business expenses. A receipt is the best type of record. So, don't throw away a receipt after entering it into Minute Menu.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Thanks Tom. What about working at home when children are not here and computer time? Do I still need to keep written records of that too or is it ok that I just log that info into MMK daily?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Recording Time

Logging it into MM should suffice. I would do one more thing. Write a note to yourself that describes how you keep your records on MM. Indicate what records you do keep on MM (tracking of hours) and when you record this (evenings, etc.). Put this note into your files. That should do it.

Tags
expenses, minute menu kids, mmk, record keeping, tom copeland