Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diapers Way Too Big?
TwinKristi 09:56 AM 04-25-2014
What do you ladies do about diapers? I have an 18 month old who is itty bitty, like probably 22lbs soaking wet, and she's always had size 4 diapers even though she could probably wear size 3. Well yesterday dad brought me four size 6 diapers and I thought maybe they bought by accident or something but them today he brought a whole package of another brand in size 6!! Size 6 says 37+ lbs, even my biggest 2.5yr old who wears a size 4T-5 clothing wears a size 5, my DS who's 30lbs wears a size 4, the other 2yr old wears a size 4. She doesn't even FIT these and as soon as she pees they're saggy! It's awful!

What do I say? I feel like asking the big boy's mom to just bring me a size 4 pack of diapers and swap her's for his but I don't want to overstep my boundaries. This is the DCD who I have had numerous issues with over 3 month's time and cannot stand! Is it too much to ask to bring the appropriate sized diapers? I don't want to be a bossy B but this is crazy!
Cradle2crayons 09:58 AM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
What do you ladies do about diapers? I have an 18 month old who is itty bitty, like probably 22lbs soaking wet, and she's always had size 4 diapers even though she could probably wear size 3. Well yesterday dad brought me four size 6 diapers and I thought maybe they bought by accident or something but them today he brought a whole package of another brand in size 6!! Size 6 says 37+ lbs, even my biggest 2.5yr old who wears a size 4T-5 clothing wears a size 5, my DS who's 30lbs wears a size 4, the other 2yr old wears a size 4. She doesn't even FIT these and as soon as she pees they're saggy! It's awful!

What do I say? I feel like asking the big boy's mom to just bring me a size 4 pack of diapers and swap her's for his but I don't want to overstep my boundaries. This is the DCD who I have had numerous issues with over 3 month's time and cannot stand! Is it too much to ask to bring the appropriate sized diapers? I don't want to be a bossy B but this is crazy!
I don't accept he wrong size. I would have immediately handed them back and asked them to bring the appropriate size diapers.
TwinKristi 10:06 AM 04-25-2014
I just texted and asked that he bring size 4's on Monday and I will give him back the unopened size 6's. I told him they're just too saggy and don't fit.

They were in her backpack when he arrived so I didn't even see what size they were for about an hour. He said her mom bought a whole case of the wrong size and they're kinda stuck with them. I told him I can make them work but if they leak out I will need smaller ones because it would create an unsanitary environment if her bodily fluids can't be contained. He said to give them back and he'll try to return them and get the right size. He's blaming his wife... As always. Ugh
Naptime yet? 10:12 AM 04-25-2014
Maybe he's just clueless about diaper sizes. I don't think it's a big deal that you're asking for the correct size & if he gives you a hard time then he's an idiot.
TwinKristi 10:20 AM 04-25-2014
Sadly that's already been established! LOL I think they bought them because they hold more pee and she doesn't have to be changed as often or something. That seems more likely than mom just happened to accidentally buy size 6 twice! Once I could see and I would have tuned around and returned them ASAP, but twice?? No way! He always makes up excuses (cough cough.. Lies...) but this is a new weird one!
permanentvacation 11:14 AM 04-25-2014
Many, many years ago, I got tired of parents forgetting to bring diapers, pull-ups, wipes, or enough baby food, or enough bottles, etc. So I decided to supply EVERYTHING for the children. I supply baby formula, baby food, diapers, pull-ups, diaper wipes, the sleeping equipment (playpens, blankets, and sleeping bags), - Everything! That way, I have what I need, when I need it. It is a bit of a pain to have to add those items to my shopping trip, but it saves a lot of headache and hassle during my daycare day. I just raised my prices a little to compensate myself. Actually, the parents like the fact that they don't have to remember about, pack, and drag all that stuff back and forth to daycare.
TwinKristi 11:47 AM 04-25-2014
I've considered this, and it would probably be more appealing to some parents, but I worry that they may think I'm skimping on changing a diaper to save money? KWIM? I started supplying wipes this year because I just got sick of the shuffle and ended up using mostly mine anyway because they were easier and what I liked. So I picked up a case at Costco and just supply my own now. Diapers are so expensive that I don't know I could do that at the rate I charge now. As it is I have one who eats gluten free and that adds a pretty penny to my food budget which already is higher than it could be because we use a lot of Organic and local foods when we can. Some people like Huggies, some like Pampers, some like the earthy natural ones... I can't make everyone happy so that's one thing I won't supply at this point but this definitely makes me want to consider it more. Gauge now many diapers I go through per day per kid and how many sizes... It just seems like so much extra expense. I can't imagine someone who charges less per day doing it.
Cradle2crayons 11:57 AM 04-25-2014
I've considered this, and it would probably be more appealing to some parents, but I worry that they may think I'm skimping on changing a diaper to save money? KWIM? I started supplying wipes this year because I just got sick of the shuffle and ended up using mostly mine anyway because they were easier and what I liked. So I picked up a case at Costco and just supply my own now. Diapers are so expensive that I don't know I could do that at the rate I charge now. As it is I have one who eats gluten free and that adds a pretty penny to my food budget which already is higher than it could be because we use a lot of Organic and local foods when we can. Some people like Huggies, some like Pampers, some like the earthy natural ones... I can't make everyone happy so that's one thing I won't supply at this point but this definitely makes me want to consider it more. Gauge now many diapers I go through per day per kid and how many sizes... It just seems like so much extra expense. I can't imagine someone who charges less per day doing it.
I provide this service to parents as an OPTIONAL service for an additional charge. All of my parents take me up on it. It's made my life so much easier!!!!!

No, all of the kids don't use he exact kind. I only have one kid that needs a special kind because she will break out. I provide pampers for her and Huggies for the rest.

And no they don't all wear the same size.. 3 of my 4 are in diapers. One wears a size two, one wears a size 4 and one wears a size 6.

I figured out the price based on the average of approximately 30-35 diapers a week and base that off of the cost of a case etc.

I actually end up making a dollar or two profit a week per child on my diapers charge lol. Not on purpose though.
kitykids3 12:17 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I provide this service to parents as an OPTIONAL service for an additional charge. All of my parents take me up on it. It's made my life so much easier!!!!!

No, all of the kids don't use he exact kind. I only have one kid that needs a special kind because she will break out. I provide pampers for her and Huggies for the rest.

And no they don't all wear the same size.. 3 of my 4 are in diapers. One wears a size two, one wears a size 4 and one wears a size 6.

I figured out the price based on the average of approximately 30-35 diapers a week and base that off of the cost of a case etc.

I actually end up making a dollar or two profit a week per child on my diapers charge lol. Not on purpose though.
I think even if you do make a dollar or two profit, that's ok. Consider it a 'handling' expense for going to get them. hehe. I don't think the parents would mind because it's saving them a little time and sanity to not always have to remember to bring stuff.
Cradle2crayons 12:18 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
I think even if you do make a dollar or two profit, that's ok. Consider it a 'handling' expense for going to get them. hehe. I don't think the parents would mind because it's saving them a little time and sanity to not always have to remember to bring stuff.
Yessssssss my parents LOVE this service and honestly so do I... It makes it so easy!!
TwinKristi 03:15 PM 04-25-2014
How much extra do you charge to provide diapers?

I can get them for 30-35 cents a piece, plus save 20% on their subscribe and save program, free Prime shipping. $1.40-$1.50 a day on average per kid... I have 4 in diapers, 3 in size 4, 1 in size 5 or 6. That's like $35/mo per kid.
Cradle2crayons 06:50 PM 04-25-2014
How much extra do you charge to provide diapers?

I can get them for 30-35 cents a piece, plus save 20% on their subscribe and save program, free Prime shipping. $1.40-$1.50 a day on average per kid... I have 4 in diapers, 3 in size 4, 1 in size 5 or 6. That's like $35/mo per kid.
I charge $10 per week per child for diapers.
nothingwithoutjoy 07:26 PM 04-25-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I charge $10 per week per child for diapers.
I added optional diapers a few years ago. I'd decided to buy some for the kids whose parents forget to bring them (but then charge them per diaper), and figured while I was buying them, I might as well offer to supply them for those who want me to. No one took me up on it. But your per-week charge sounds like a deal, though it's more than my per-diaper charge was. I may offer it this way next time. It'd be SOOO much easier just to use the same diapers for everyone. (I only buy one size--4--and it works for any of them; I have no kids under 2.)
Tags:diaper size
Reply Up