Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stars
Flowerchild 06:23 PM 04-30-2019
Out of curiosity does anybody go gung go for stars evaluators? Like buy all new crap nobody uses regular and put it up after they leave so it doesn't get ruined like books? I felt silly doing all this hotel catering type stuff with the kids but it never happens in daily care. Like we had a tent set up with chairs for preschooler to have shade but it was put in baby area for Friday stars day. We literally never had it. All our outdoor stuff is old until stars and we buy all new stuff, art materials. I was out of construction paper for weeks until stars. She said let her know when I'm out but once she told us yo do art daily with kids but gave us computer paper from her office. The back of my paper I use days page separator. Embarrassing
Michael 08:31 PM 04-30-2019
Here are more threads on the Stars Program: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=stars+program
Josiegirl 04:14 AM 05-01-2019
I think Stars is ridiculous in so many ways. I know more than 1 person connected with an agency used to advise us to more or less 'fudge' things to make our application look better, our environments be up to Stars standards, etc. I thought it was so ridiculous and why do it?? To look good for the state and their program requirements. To attain a 'quality educational experience' for state and parents' expectations.
So yes, I can see why managerial positions might do that but it's highly misleading and as I said....ridiculous.
Personally, being an in-home provider I've never bought something I didn't use. I do know a provider who bought a brand new changing table and she had to get another one because it wasn't up to Stars standards.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 05-01-2019
The one thing I really don't like about the stars (QRIS) program is that it's very similar to the food program.

The rules in general are one thing but then every state/agency/coach etc interprets them differently.

I've read about many of the things each state requires of programs to meet the max number of stars and it's so vastly different that its mind boggling.

I'm rated mostly based on performance and/or overall routine verses having a ton of focus on the equipment/materials. I don't think (other than doing the environmental rating scale) that I've ever discussed what toys and other classroom materials, furniture or equipment I have.

I know that each state's QRIS is suppose to be aimed at meeting the educational needs of the children in that area but like I said the differences between what types of goals each state has is straight up confusing.
Flowerchild 06:01 AM 05-01-2019
Yes! It is rediculous. There are worse day cares out there. It makes no sense. I guess I'm authentic and am tired of lying to people about things. It's like faking were good to look good. Makes no sense.
knoxmomof2 06:03 AM 05-01-2019
I'm license exempt, so it's not even a factor for me but I used to clean a daycare center as a side job. I knew when STARS was happening, because I'd see the memos laying around and suddenly every classroom had a new "class pet" or "class plant". They never lasted.... I feel the worst for the fish 😔
Flowerchild 06:10 AM 05-01-2019
I know. I'd feed mine and they'd die 😭 I loved my fish too.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
Yes! It is rediculous. There are worse day cares out there. It makes no sense. I guess I'm authentic and am tired of lying to people about things. It's like faking were good to look good. Makes no sense.
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I'm license exempt, so it's not even a factor for me but I used to clean a daycare center as a side job. I knew when STARS was happening, because I'd see the memos laying around and suddenly every classroom had a new "class pet" or "class plant". They never lasted.... I feel the worst for the fish 😔
So true!

A little off topic but this is why I've never "prepared" for an interview/tour. Others post about spending a ton of time prepping and cleaning for a tour only to be super disappointed as the prospective client doesn't show up so the hours were wasted.

My theory on all of that is why spend so much time being something that isn't real? I don't want a prospective client to come tour a picture perfect, spotless, organized environment because truth is if they sign on and start attending here that "picture" isn't what they're going to see so why go through all that effort to be something I am not?
Flowerchild 06:23 AM 05-01-2019
Unfortunately so true. I think it was part of my bad attutude. Nobody wanted to help me get ready till Thursday and then when the day came I found out nobody said who was lead teacher in my room despite me being in there all day with them. It made me mad. And having to do everything just so. No wonder I wasn't sure how to do my job and not frustrated. It was not a normal day with them there 😡😞
LostMyMarbles 06:32 AM 05-01-2019
Isn’t it dishonest to get stuff out for the inspection then put it away after. The star rating is based on our “extra or above and beyond”. In my area providers get more money per star for state pay children. Isn’t this dishonesty taking away from what we stated we were providing/doing on our applications for our stars? Isn’t it in a way scamming the government out of more money? My opinion, yes.
Tags:annalee, blackcat, qris, stars program
Reply Up