Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Posting Your Address For The World To See?
earthtoashley 12:46 AM 12-20-2011
Hi all, on a lot of daycare websites, CL ads, and FB pages for daycares, I see people's home addresses posted for public to see. I understand this is your place of business, but does anyone not post their address for security/privacy reasons and because they feel unsafe? I would feel so unsafe displaying my home address. I think I would only give the exact address out to inquiring clients who would like a visit/interview.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Ashley
Michael 12:48 AM 12-20-2011
Originally Posted by earthtoashley:
Hi all, on a lot of daycare websites, CL ads, and FB pages for daycares, I see people's home addresses posted for public to see. I understand this is your place of business, but does anyone not post their address for security/privacy reasons and because they feel unsafe? I would feel so unsafe displaying my home address. I think I would only give the exact address out to inquiring clients who would like a visit/interview.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Ashley
Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.

We have had this question before. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22285

I see that you are in California and if you are licensed your state makes your information public. On our Daycare.com Registry we have many who list with us put a cross street or "Call for Location" in the address field.
snbauser 04:11 AM 12-20-2011
When I advertise I do not list my address. BUT if someone wants it they only need to look on our state's website since it is public information. I figure it is easy enough to find, but why make it easier.
Zoe 06:25 AM 12-20-2011
On my own ads, I do not put my address but more a "by this location". However, it's true what the other posters said, your address if you're licensed is public knowledge through the child care resource and referral and possibly through the state/county as well. Scary I know, but that's the breaks.
earthtoashley 01:01 AM 12-21-2011
I can understand that it's public information. I just expect that for being a licensed business. I just wondered if some providers just don't mind displaying their address on their own website and ads ... or if some are trying their best to maintain privacy and security.

Coming from the millitary and a military family, we have a code called "OpSec" which stands for Operation Security and it's just something we keep in mind every time we are in public, to not stand out or do anything to draw attention to ourselves. I still have that mind frame so the idea of putting my home address for people to see is not an option for me.
frgsonmysox 05:07 PM 12-21-2011
we are military too, and posting your address doesn't violate OpSec.
daycare 05:16 PM 12-21-2011
I dont but the state does!!! I don't really like that they do it, but its their rules not mine.. I didnt even realize that my address was out there for the world to see until someone on here told me that I should check with the state to see how they have me listed..
Abigail 01:04 AM 12-22-2011
Also, if someone knows yourr first and last name and what city you're in they can easily find you. Another way to be found is just by a landline....that is why I have a cell phone. I agree that it's public information for licensing and those who seek it through their so why make it easier to find?

I keep thinking I would love to own a different building nearby then I would publicly display the daycare address and a sign in the lawn. I want my home private, but I bet once more kids come into our home it will feel less and less private. I can't wait for spring to finish our side entrance, but not much I can do right now without an income.
earthtoashley 06:03 PM 12-27-2011
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox:
we are military too, and posting your address doesn't violate OpSec.
I didn't mean it violates OPSEC, I just meant I am in this strong mind frame of OPSEC and putting my address on the www sort of scares me. I know it will be public if I am a licensed day care, but I was just trying to see how others feel about it. Surely others are hesitant about that as well.
dave4him 06:06 PM 12-27-2011
i wouldnt post it
permanentvacation 05:47 PM 12-28-2011
I definately do not post my address for everyone to see. I actually use my cell phone number in my ads because all a person has to do is put your home phone number (if it's listed in the phone book) in anywho.com and they can get your address! However, I haven't yet heard of a website that does that with cell numbers.

There are a couple of websites that I advertise on - one that every licensed provider is automatically placed on by the licensing agency here in my state- that I have to provide a street on the address line, but I don't put my house number. I really am not even comfortable with the street being listed.

When I get daycare calls, I try to listen for children in the background. That makes me more comfortable about giving my address out for them to come for an interview.

I have actually talked to one daycare lady who schedules her first interview to be at a restaurant. That way she gets to know the people a little before actually giving them her house address and she gets to see how the children act - such as sitting to eat at a table, waiting while the parents talk, how the parents and children interact with each other when they can't be told to go and play, etc. If she feels comfortable with them and thinks they might be a good fit in her daycare, then she schedules a second interview at her home.
Tags:address, privacy, security
Reply Up