Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Personal FB and DCP?
providerandmomof4 04:02 PM 01-20-2013
I have a dcm that is requesting me to be her friend on facebook. Normally I refer my dcp to my daycare facebook page but she searched my name and is requesting my personal facebook. I don't have anything on there that I would be embarrassed for her to see but it does have some old party pics that friends have posted. I don't know... I just feel like this is crossing the line between friends and clients. Am I being paranoid? Wwyd? I went ahead and accepted her request because I didn't want her to think I had anything to hide or didn't like her for some reason.....just feeling awkward about it, like this is kind of invading my privacy
Blackcat31 04:08 PM 01-20-2013
Nope. No clients EVER have access to anything I have that is personal. EVER.
EchoMom 04:10 PM 01-20-2013
When I started a year ago I was pretty dumb and figured a ton of stuff out as I went along. In the beginning I MYSELF requested all my DCPs as my FB friends. I would post some things nice about loving my new job, excited about kids (didn't name names of course), and posted comments on their pics about how cute the kids were, especially their infant pics if that was before I met them at 2 year olds. It was nice and friendly and everyone got along and nothing turned bad about it.

However after awhile as my business developed more and more professionally I just didn't like it anymore. So I actually just quit FB altogether (I've recently decided how stupid and a waste of time it is! Now I just have a dummy account I use to lookup new potential DCfamilies I might be interviewing and see whatever might be public).

So I think it really is up to you. If you don't want them to be your FB friend then by all means DON'T. I seriously doubt she'll read as much into as you're thinking. You can always unfriend her and she probably won't even notice for awhile. And then if she friends you again, just don't respond, it seriously won't be a big issue, and if it is then she's weird. :P lol
Crazy8 04:49 PM 01-20-2013
I had some dcp's on my fb page from before I created a page just for dc parents. Its never been much of a problem because I'm not a "share everything" type on fb but I did get annoyed when they'd post about their kids being sick or about them having the day off (in both cases kid still comes here). And now I have a handful of former dc parents on my personal page and I enjoy seeing the kids get bigger. I don't mind having them on there at all.
Michael 04:59 PM 01-20-2013
You need to start categorizing your posts and pictures. You can set them for friends/family/all. You can choose who sees/reads what. No reason to set up another account.
AnythingsPossible 05:08 PM 01-20-2013
I do have daycare parents as friends on my facebook page because I have nothing to hide from them. I don't really care if they know what goes on in my life as I don't post anything I wouldn't want people to know about. They probably do it to be noisey and see if they can find out anything interesting, but there is nothing to find out, so I don't care!
DaisyMamma 05:50 PM 01-20-2013
I have a daycare facebook page and a personal one. The only DCP on my personal one are people who were friends before they were clients. Now I wish they weren't on my personal FB. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't feel comfortable. I don't post anything weird or too personal.
If another DCP tried to friend me I would feel obligated to accept, so I'm not sure what I'd do.
kitykids3 07:49 PM 01-20-2013
The only time any parents are friends on my personal fb page is when they are previous clients. No current ones. I feel so much of my life is wrapped up in my daycare, but sometimes I feel like having something personal.
LoraJenkins 08:13 PM 01-20-2013
All of my DCP have access to my personal FB as well as my daycare FB. I don't have anything on there to worry about. You can choose who gets to see your post before posting if you would rather have some things private. I have never had an issue though.
Daycarelady1979 08:27 PM 01-20-2013
I don't mean to hijack the post, but I set up a daycare facebook page & I think I may have done it wrong. It only has an option for people to 'like' the page, not actually be 'friends' with it. I have all the daycare moms as friends on my personal fb page, but I'd love to get them all off of there & only let them have access to the daycare page. Anyone know how I can change it from just a 'like' to an actual 'friend'?? I've tried everything I can think of.
snips&snails 10:21 PM 01-20-2013
I allow clients & business contacts as "acquaintences" & carefully limit what I show them. Even so it makes me uncomfortable
snips&snails 10:22 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
I don't mean to hijack the post, but I set up a daycare facebook page & I think I may have done it wrong. It only has an option for people to 'like' the page, not actually be 'friends' with it. I have all the daycare moms as friends on my personal fb page, but I'd love to get them all off of there & only let them have access to the daycare page. Anyone know how I can change it from just a 'like' to an actual 'friend'?? I've tried everything I can think of.
You will have to make a whole new page. Try making a group maybe?I have a "like" business page but I am thinking about a group page just for clients so I can post clearer updates about the children without privacy concerns
Patches 10:28 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
Did you make it a business page instead of as if it were a person? I'm pretty sure the company pages you can only 'like' but if you make an account as a person, you should be able to 'friend' people
mom2many 11:26 PM 01-20-2013
I am 100% transparent with my dcps and have nothing to hide from them. I am friends on fb with many of them. It has never once been a negative issue whatsover.
NeedaVaca 05:47 AM 01-21-2013
I wouldn't do it, I would have just said you have a DC facebook page and referred her to that and added her as a friend on that page. I don't have anything to hide on my FB page but the last thing I want to see during my off hours are the DCK's on facebook lol
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 01-21-2013
Just for clarification when I say NOTHING personal of mine is tied to anything work related, it isn't at all because I feel I have anything to hide.

I keep my personal and work life separate because they are. My daycare parents are NOT my friends and what I do in my free time and with whome is really none of their business. Just as I really have no interest in reading anything they post about or like either.

I've been in business for many many years and I don't think many of my daycare parents have ever seen my home, know who I socialize with or what I do in my free time.

Business is NEVER mixed with personal for me.

Has nothing to do with hiding anything but more about wanting privacy and space from people I already see on a daily basis.

Plus, I really dont' want to see or read about anything any of my DCP's do in their spare time either so .....
Provider_Manda 09:41 AM 01-21-2013
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
I do have daycare parents as friends on my facebook page because I have nothing to hide from them. I don't really care if they know what goes on in my life as I don't post anything I wouldn't want people to know about. They probably do it to be noisey and see if they can find out anything interesting, but there is nothing to find out, so I don't care!
Same ^^^
littlemissmuffet 02:38 PM 01-21-2013
I don't add daycare clients as friends on facebook because they are NOT friends, they are clients. I have a business page they are welcome to add themselves to - other than that I keep my work and private life 100% seperate!
MNMum 03:08 PM 01-21-2013
I recently set up a "Secret' daycare Group. I explained to the parents that they will have to friend me, I will add them to the group, then they will be unfriended. Only group members can see the posts. I just said that I keep my FB stuff personal.
Mom&Provider 03:53 PM 01-22-2013
No I wouldn't accept it. I also don't share my personal life with parents...unless its just a Monday morning how was your weekend type thing, then I might share what we did, but that's as far as it ever goes!
KEG123 04:05 PM 01-22-2013
Nope. They're not my friends, so they don't go on my FB. Only one of my old dcm's I became friends with after they left. They were here for about a year and she was honestly the type of person I'd hang out with. So we talk and she's a pretty good friend now. But if it would have been during the tie i watched her kids, no.
theycallmetaytor 05:16 PM 01-22-2013
I would not accept a request from a dcp on my personal fb. I do like to have fun on the weekends and it isn't any of their business. I am only friends with 1 dcp and she and I were friends before I starting caring for her daughter.
Familycare71 07:00 PM 01-22-2013
I am having a hard time having parents on my Facebook page... My original thought was "I have nothing to hide!" But now I find my self censoring certain things because they are friends on there.
I'm not sure how to un-friend those who already are...
I won't friend future clients
Live and learn I guess!
Tags:facebook, privacy
Reply Up