Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How should I handle this?
MCC 05:57 AM 09-17-2013
I have posted before that I have 2 families holding a spot, the Moms are sisters. They will both be 3 months old when they start, one Oct 1, and one Nov. 1.

I have already had issues with them getting their hold payments in on time (both families) and now I am having another issue. I'm sorry if this is long, but it does need some explanation.

I do not need the infants, I have two 2 year olds using those spots right now, and they both want to have the spot long term.

I have to hire an assistant in order to have the infants here, as it pushes me over my numbers. The original agreement was that Oct 1 baby would be here MWF, from 8:30-4:30, but b/c I do not offer a part time rate, it would be full rate. ( it sounded like a pretty good deal, and I needed to fill the spots)

DCM of Oct 1 baby just emailed that she will now need M-F 7:30-5:30 I only have one other client that maxes out my hours, and it's only once a week. Also- I will have to have my assistant here M-F, and will literally be paying her the baby's full tuition.

Also- She asked me about my hiring process for my assistant, making sure she is over 18, CPR cert, background check, and what experience she has with infants. I'm a little offended that she needs to ask any of this, as she should have confidence that I am hiring an individual who is competent and meets all licensing requirements.

My question is, How do I get out of this? I either need to charge them $50 more a week, or just get rid of them.

They have been paying to hold the spot at half rate, my contract says it is nonrefundable. If I term, based on the change of hours, should I refund their money? And then what to do about the sister?

After I filled these spots with infants, a daycare around the corner closed, and I took the 2 year olds on a temp basis, so that is what's going on with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have! Mom of Oct 1 baby is calling me at 1 to discuss.
momofboys 06:00 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
I have posted before that I have 2 families holding a spot, the Moms are sisters. They will both be 3 months old when they start, one Oct 1, and one Nov. 1.

I have already had issues with them getting their hold payments in on time (both families) and now I am having another issue. I'm sorry if this is long, but it does need some explanation.

I do not need the infants, I have two 2 year olds using those spots right now, and they both want to have the spot long term.

I have to hire an assistant in order to have the infants here, as it pushes me over my numbers. The original agreement was that Oct 1 baby would be here MWF, from 8:30-4:30, but b/c I do not offer a part time rate, it would be full rate. ( it sounded like a pretty good deal, and I needed to fill the spots). If she is not able/willing to pay more IMO you have a right to part ways & since your deposits are non-refundable no $$$ should go back to her. She changed the arrangement, I wouldn't feel bad about rescinding things with her. Of course I'd be concerned the other mom would not come now. I probably am not much help lol!

DCM of Oct 1 baby just emailed that she will now need M-F 7:30-5:30 I only have one other client that maxes out my hours, and it's only once a week. Also- I will have to have my assistant here M-F, and will literally be paying her the baby's full tuition.

Also- She asked me about my hiring process for my assistant, making sure she is over 18, CPR cert, background check, and what experience she has with infants. I'm a little offended that she needs to ask any of this, as she should have confidence that I am hiring an individual who is competent and meets all licensing requirements.

My question is, How do I get out of this? I either need to charge them $50 more a week, or just get rid of them.

They have been paying to hold the spot at half rate, my contract says it is nonrefundable. If I term, based on the change of hours, should I refund their money? And then what to do about the sister?

After I filled these spots with infants, a daycare around the corner closed, and I took the 2 year olds on a temp basis, so that is what's going on with that.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have! Mom of Oct 1 baby is calling me at 1 to discuss.
IMO the mom who is changing the hours is voiding her contract because your original agreement was only for care on MWF. When you talk to her I would tell her that & let her know child can still come (if you want him to or are able to have him come) but you have to re-do the contract & the weekly fee will now be higher.
MamaBearCanada 06:04 AM 09-17-2013
Don't term... If you don't want to take them tell them that you are unable to accommodate the change in hours but that their original spot is being held until they inform you otherwise. Then wait for them to term. If they term no refund.

If you do want to take them make sure you include the additional backpay for 1/2 of the new fees. Also add a late fee to any late installments or a rule that x late pays voids the contract. Make sure the new fees reflect having an assistant. They may decide it's too much & term. Again no refund if they term.

As for the questions about the assistant don't take it personally just reassure her. It probably makes her feel like a better mom for being on top of things especially if she doesn't really want to go to work and leave her child.

Their problems shouldn't become your problems. Hugs.
MyAngels 06:05 AM 09-17-2013
It sounds to me like this family is just not going to be a good fit for you. I would not start care at all. As to whether you refund their money, that's up to you, but I would. I just couldn't, in good conscience, keep it, especially since you already have had those spots filled with full-time kids while holding them.

I feel sorry for the mom though. Around here it would be very tough to find good infant care on such short notice.
Familycare71 06:08 AM 09-17-2013
I agree with PP. you can say: the new hours you requested do not work for me. If she doesn't have the ability to change back to her "contracted" rate then she termed herself and you get to keep the $. If she can still do original hours the if you term I do feel like you should refund.
As for the sister/other dcm - if I'm correct - didnt they want their babies at the same dc? So are you ok/willing to lose her too? Chances are either way the if the other dcm doesn't continue neither will she and then you get to keep that $because she termed herself
lovemylife 06:14 AM 09-17-2013
I would let her know that due to the hour changes the rate will increase by $x. Personally if she terms I wouldn't feel good about keeping the money. I would return it. The last time you posted you said the sisters want their kids at the same daycare so you would loose both correct?
Willow 06:17 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Don't term... If you don't want to take them tell them that you are unable to accommodate the change in hours but that their original spot is being held until they inform you otherwise. Then wait for them to term. If they term no refund.

If you do want to take them make sure you include the additional backpay for 1/2 of the new fees. Also add a late fee to any late installments or a rule that x late pays voids the contract. Make sure the new fees reflect having an assistant. They may decide it's too much & term. Again no refund if they term.

As for the questions about the assistant don't take it personally just reassure her. It probably makes her feel like a better mom for being on top of things especially if she doesn't really want to go to work and leave her child.

Don't term, just let her know that you can accommodate the original agreement. If she wants to alter that original agreement you're going to have to draw up a new contract and it's going to be xx amount more each week.

I would never be offended if a parent questioned the safety protocol in place for screening providers, assistants and other staff. As a parent I don't really care if someone is claiming to be Mother Theresa herself, I want them background checked *AND* you can sure bet I'm going to dig into their life and demand references. Frankly, I have no clue why more parents don't ask about it. They're leaving their child with a complete stranger, and are simply trusting the word of what could be a fabricated piece of paper (license). That would never be good enough for me anyway.
Familycare71 06:18 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
I would let her know that due to the hour changes the rate will increase by $x. Personally if she terms I wouldn't feel good about keeping the money. I would return it. The last time you posted you said the sisters want their kids at the same daycare so you would loose both correct?
I really wouldn't feel guilty just because she changed the times- if you termed because you wanted to based on changing your mind- then yes refund. But if your just not able/willing to make the change she requested- that IMO is on her.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 09-17-2013

I have to hire an assistant in order to have the infants here, as it pushes me over my numbers. The original agreement was that Oct 1 baby would be here MWF, from 8:30-4:30, but b/c I do not offer a part time rate, it would be full rate. ( it sounded like a pretty good deal, and I needed to fill the spots)

I would definitely e-mail the mom back that wants M-F now and let her know that you cannot accommodate the FULL week schedule (unless you want to) so that leaves the change in her hands. She needs to figure out what she has to do for care. If she decides to use the M,W,F space as originally agreed to, then it's all good but if she can't and really does need the full 5 days, then she will maybe term herself and then you won't owe her anything.

Truth be told if I were in your shoes and I didn't need to enroll infants because I had 2 two-year olds filling the space and wanting to stay permanently, I would term those two babies in a heartbeat and refund their money. But that's me....I much prefer older kids verses babies.

Either way if you decide to keep them, (or one of them) just make sure you don't take them if it is going to cost you money or if you are just breaking even.....there is really no point in doing that.

If you decide to term, then refund them
If they term, there is no refund
ONLY change baby #1 from M,W,F to M-F IF you really really want to.
momofsix 06:22 AM 09-17-2013

My answer would depend no how you handled the bolded part above. If, when you told her she needed to pay ft rates it was with the understanding that those hours would be available to her-then she technically is within her rights to use them. If she was told the ft price was for the pt hours then I wouldn't allow it.

I wouldn't worry about the questions about the assistant. Just as they interview us, I would expect them to make sure the assistant is qualified too.
lovemylife 06:29 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I really wouldn't feel guilty just because she changed the times- if you termed because you wanted to based on changing your mind- then yes refund. But if your just not able/willing to make the change she requested- that IMO is on her.

I can see why others say don't refund the money. Because it is a deposit and holding the spot. It sounds like a huge chunk of change. I personally just wouldn't feel right about keeping it if the child wouldn't be coming. If it was a smaller amount of money like a few weeks then I wouldn't feel bad about it. Again it's just me
Familycare71 06:39 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
My answer would depend no how you handled the bolded part above. If, when you told her she needed to pay ft rates it was with the understanding that those hours would be available to her-then she technically is within her rights to use them. If she was told the ft price was for the pt hours then I wouldn't allow it.

I wouldn't worry about the questions about the assistant. Just as they interview us, I would expect them to make sure the assistant is qualified too.
^^^ really good point! If she knew she was paying for a full time rate/space but was just choosing not to use it then I would say if you choose not to accommodate the change you would need to refund... And for me- because I knew the other family chose you based on the fact that the cousins could both come I would most likely refund the other family too if they pulled- just because I would be changing what I promised.
If the mom changing the schedule saw the fee as a part time fee- then my original statements stand
MCC 06:45 AM 09-17-2013
Wow, thank you for all this GREAT advice!

Blackcat- I do not REALLY want these kids, I'm really dreading it actually, I love the kids I have now, and I love that they are all older and we can get out of the house all the time. I just feel really bad about making this commitment, and then backing out, even if I refund their money, I still feel bad.

As far as the sister backing out if Oct 1 mom terms, that is fine by me.

In regards to them being entitled to the FT spot, we never talked about it, since from day one, the agreement was MWF, at the full time rate. I took on the infant based on the fact that 6 hours a day, 3 days a week, sounded like an easy deal. I sent them an email 2 weeks ago asking to confirm hours and days so I could hire the assistant, and that is what we once again agreed upon. I also would have to hire a separate assistant, as my current one is only available MWF, so that means more interviewing searching, paying for job postings on care.com etc.

This is becoming a mess. I feel like telling her that I can't accommodate the new hours sounds like the best way to go about it. Not to mention, I am going to M-Th care starting Jan. and they KNOW this, so I'm not sure why she is even asking/requesting M-F care.
Familycare71 06:48 AM 09-17-2013

Blackcat- I do not REALLY want these kids, I'm really dreading it actually, I love the kids I have now, and I love that they are all older and we can get out of the house all the time. I just feel really bad about making this commitment, and then backing out, even if I refund their money, I still feel bad.

In regards to them being entitled to the FT spot, we never talked about it, since from day one, the agreement was MWF, at the full time rate. I took on the infant based on the fact that 6 hours a day, 3 days a week, sounded like an easy deal. I sent them an email 2 weeks ago asking to confirm hours and days so I could hire the assistant, and that is what we once again agreed upon. I also would have to hire a separate assistant, as my current one is only available MWF, so that means more interviewing searching, paying for job postings on care.com etc.

This is becoming a mess. I feel like telling her that I can't accommodate the new hours sounds like the best way to go about it. Not to mention, I am going to M-Th care starting Jan. and they KNOW this, so I'm not sure why she is even asking/requesting M-F care.
Then IMO . Let her know it doesn't work- and I think- you have every right to keep the money from both families! . That is assuming the sister terms-
MCC 06:51 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
I can see why others say don't refund the money. Because it is a deposit and holding the spot. It sounds like a huge chunk of change. I personally just wouldn't feel right about keeping it if the child wouldn't be coming. If it was a smaller amount of money like a few weeks then I wouldn't feel bad about it. Again it's just me

They have given me $875 in hold fees, and a $500 deposit, that becomes their first 2 week payment.

The other family is paying FULL rate for the spot b/c I already had the 2 year olds wanting the full time spot, and I told them I would not hold the spot, b/c they desperately want their kids in the same place, they agreed to pay full rate for the spot. They have given me $2000. So I would be refunding $3375.

I would be paying the assistant $3000 before the end of the year, so really I would level out by refunding them and NOT hiring the assistant.
momofboys 07:00 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:

Blackcat31 07:28 AM 09-17-2013

I totally understand the feeling bad part....I am kind of there right now myself. I agreed to do an earlier than I open drop off and I am finding that agreeing to do it was MUCH easier than doing it....Yesterday, I finally sucked it up and just said to myself "BC, Why are you self-employed?"and the answer was so that I was the one in charge of my happiness and so that I don't really HAVE to do anything I don't want to do.

So I wrote up a letter and just told the mom that while I did agree to xxx things, I am finding that it just isn't working out like I had hoped and am now terming.

Bottom line, don't take on a child(ren) that will make you dread your job every day. If you don't want or need to take babies, then don't. Tell the families of the infants that you made the agreement at a time it worked and right now, there are some changes that make it so that it no longer works.

If you can afford to refund them, I would and I wouldn't look back nor would I feel bad. I am a Self-employed business person that offers services to others.....BUT I ONLY have to do what I allow myself to do and allowing yourself to feel badly about things changing will influence you on every decision you make.

I decided a while ago to put myself and MY family's needs first and to NOT allow the guilt of other people's situations to weigh on MY needs/wants/goals.

Good luck! Make the decision that works best for YOU and don't let feeling bad be an albatross around your neck or you will end up always putting other people's needs before your own and IMHO, that defeats the purpose of being your own boss.
Familycare71 07:42 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I totally understand the feeling bad part....I am kind of there right now myself. I agreed to do an earlier than I open drop off and I am finding that agreeing to do it was MUCH easier than doing it....Yesterday, I finally sucked it up and just said to myself "BC, Why are you self-employed?"and the answer was so that I was the one in charge of my happiness and so that I don't really HAVE to do anything I don't want to do.

So I wrote up a letter and just told the mom that while I did agree to xxx things, I am finding that it just isn't working out like I had hoped and am now terming.

Bottom line, don't take on a child(ren) that will make you dread your job every day. If you don't want or need to take babies, then don't. Tell the families of the infants that you made the agreement at a time it worked and right now, there are some changes that make it so that it no longer works.

If you can afford to refund them, I would and I wouldn't look back nor would I feel bad. I am a Self-employed business person that offers services to others.....BUT I ONLY have to do what I allow myself to do and allowing yourself to feel badly about things changing will influence you on every decision you make.

I decided a while ago to put myself and MY family's needs first and to NOT allow the guilt of other people's situations to weigh on MY needs/wants/goals.

Good luck! Make the decision that works best for YOU and don't let feeling bad be an albatross around your neck or you will end up always putting other people's needs before your own and IMHO, that defeats the purpose of being your own boss.

What if you split the difference and refund half?
momofsix 07:45 AM 09-17-2013

Agree with bolded. When you tell her that I'd wait for her to bring up the deposit though-don't just offer it up
As BC said, you're self employed-do what's right for YOU and your family!
MCC 07:45 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

You are seriously one of the best spoken people I have ever come across on the interwebz. You are right. I am self employed b/c I enjoy the flexibility of making my own hours, and my own rules. Also b/c I enjoy the time I get to spend with my daughter, which will be much different with these two babies in the house.

Now I just need to hope they term themselves, and if they don't, suck it up and refund the money.

I plan on offering them the refund in the way I received it, every 2 weeks I will give them a check until it is returned in full. Does that seem fair/appropriate?
Familycare71 07:58 AM 09-17-2013
You are seriously one of the best spoken people I have ever come across on the interwebz. You are right. I am self employed b/c I enjoy the flexibility of making my own hours, and my own rules. Also b/c I enjoy the time I get to spend with my daughter, which will be much different with these two babies in the house.

Now I just need to hope they term themselves, and if they don't, suck it up and refund the money.

I plan on offering them the refund in the way I received it, every 2 weeks I will give them a check until it is returned in full. Does that seem fair/appropriate?
Personally I still think- if they term themselves- the most I would refund is half. Maybe im greedier than i know! And yes- I think it's perfectly fair to space it out
MCC 08:08 AM 09-17-2013
Personally I still think- if they term themselves- the most I would refund is half. Maybe im greedier than i know! And yes- I think it's perfectly fair to space it out
Thanks so much. I really do not want to refund ANY of the money, I just feel a little obligated. I have been putting that money to good use, and paid of my student loan that's been lingering around. I will see how the conversation goes later and hopefully we can come to an agreement.
Familycare71 08:14 AM 09-17-2013
Thanks so much. I really do not want to refund ANY of the money, I just feel a little obligated. I have been putting that money to good use, and paid of my student loan that's been lingering around. I will see how the conversation goes later and hopefully we can come to an agreement.
Here is where I am coming from:
If you can't provide care because she changed the schedule- that is on HER
IF the other parent pulls because the sister does- HER CHOICE.
IMO it has no bearing on one situation that you were able to use the spots while you waited. I am assuming you filled temp because of the infants.

Now- if first mom says: oh ok- ill just use the original times... And you still term- refund.
If second mom says: oh well even tho sister dcb isn't coming ill still bring my baby within the original agreement- and you term - refund.

In NO other business that I am aware of would they refund a deposit (or feel bad!) if the original deal was changed-

Hope the convo goes well!
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 09-17-2013
Here is where I am coming from:
If you can't provide care because she changed the schedule- that is on HER
IF the other parent pulls because the sister does- HER CHOICE.
IMO it has no bearing on one situation that you were able to use the spots while you waited. I am assuming you filled temp because of the infants.

Now- if first mom says: oh ok- ill just use the original times... And you still term- refund.
If second mom says: oh well even tho sister dcb isn't coming ill still bring my baby within the original agreement- and you term - refund.

In NO other business that I am aware of would they refund a deposit (or feel bad!) if the original deal was changed-

Hope the convo goes well!
I agree. ^^

However, don't bank on the mom(s) pulling out. If they decide to keep the original agreement without the changes, then you are stuck taking one or both babies.

I'm only leary because I have seen way too many providers try to "force" a parent's hand (so that the parent is the one terming) only to be bitten by it.
Unregistered 08:27 AM 09-17-2013

Aren't you suppose to put that money into a savings account and not spend it? Refering to the fact that they havent started yet. This sounds like a legal battle just waiting to happen.
Laurel 08:38 AM 09-17-2013
If you really don't want to take infants then don't. It seems too big of a hassle with hiring someone and all. Plus if it is going to make you unhappy then just don't. I wouldn't. For all you know, you could hire someone and then one or both moms would leave. It happens every day.

I would tell them like Blackcat said that you agreed to take them but sorry you now find it isn't going to work for you. (because you have to hire someone, etc. if you WANT to give a reason).

I personally think that you owe them all their money back if you decide to tell them you have changed your mind. I also think it is fine to pay them back in payments like they paid you. You really aren't out any money as you had two other children paying for those spots.

I will only hold a spot for 2 weeks and then they just have to take their chances that something will be available when they are ready. There are too many things that can change over time.

I think you are taking a gamble just telling Oct. mom that the hours won't work and hoping she terms. What if she doesn't and then you are stuck with infants that you really would rather not have. I would just bite the bullet and do the above.

Laurel
MCC 10:27 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Aren't you suppose to put that money into a savings account and not spend it? Refering to the fact that they havent started yet. This sounds like a legal battle just waiting to happen.
I'm not sure why, since it is a non-refundable payment to hold the spot. Their deposits are in a separate account, but that is also non-refundable.

The agreement was since I was able to fill the spot with someone else, they are PAYING for the spot, as if they are using it.

Also- I am not the only one working, my husband makes pretty good money as well, and we have money in multiple savings accounts, so IF I had to pay them back all at once, it wouldn't be a problem, it would just kinda sting.
Reply Up