Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Movement and Sound/Breathing Monitors

I have a 15 month old dcg who's parents have asked me to go back to giving her a second nap. I don't mind doing that, but the other kids are awake at that point and I don't want to constantly be on them to keep it down so the dcg can sleep. I do have the option of putting her in another room, with the parents blessing. But, I'm very nervous about doing that. My daughter is a nanny for a 7 month old set of twin boys. Three weeks ago they lost one of them to SIDS. So, so sad. I am thinking about using one of the under the mattress monitors that detect breathing and movement. Does anyone have any experience with these? Thoughts?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:38 PM
Legally Unlicensed

My sister lost my nephew to SIDS and used both a prescription apnea monitor and some sort of sensor under the mattress for her next baby.

She said she felt much better using them.

With that said, after 6 months the risk of SIDS is greatly reduced and certainly by 15 months the risk is very, very minimal.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

That is terrible. I agree with Craftymissbeth that the risk should be minimal at her age. How sad for that family, your daughter, and everyone involved. I wish they knew why this stuff happens.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
My sister lost my nephew to SIDS and used both a prescription apnea monitor and some sort of sensor under the mattress for her next baby.

She said she felt much better using them.

With that said, after 6 months the risk of SIDS is greatly reduced and certainly by 15 months the risk is very, very minimal.
I am very sorry for your family's loss as well. It must be a nightmare for them.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:38 PM
mac n peas

I agree, I'm so sorry about the twin. That is truly terrifying.
I also agree that at 15 months it should be MUCH less of a worry (though *should* doesn't necessarily help).
I don't have experience with the sleep monitors, aside from the occasional story in both directions - either it saved the baby's life or didn't help to save the baby's life. I know they are also prone to false alarms.
Hopefully you can find something to put you at ease and get the baby another nap!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Home Daycare Provider

What a horrible experience for the family, and your daughter as well!
I don't think it'd work for that age, but a great one is the Angelcare Deluxe one- I used it with my girls and it was a great way to get rest knowing they were breathing. There were some false alarms where it didn't register her breathing and it started beeping, but I'd rather have that than the worry. However, once they start to move and get up, and it wouldn't work well. I'd just do a sound monitor in the situation with a toddler, but you could always try it
Old 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

I agree for a 15 month old there isn't much yu can do as far as prevention.

For the smaller ones the mats etc work.

Once they start turning over and moving around, they aren't accurate.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

I second the Angelsounds, I could have never survived the worries of motherhood without it. I STILL use it with my 2yo!

A natural worrywart, I did a lot of research on SIDS while pregnant. Granted, the numbers are in our favor but it IS a real risk and DOES happen just like other horrible things we don't expect. SIDS is rare after 6 months of age and almost unheard of after a year, but keep in mind that a baby's death is classified as "SIDS" when there is no known medical reason for the death (an autopsy will show a healthy baby, in other words). But babies can stop breathing for all sorts of other reasons (apnea, undiagnosed heart condition, allergic reaction, choking, etc.). Movement monitors can give so much peace of mind. We just kept using ours for our daughter because we both agreed why not, it can't hurt? :-) Now if she crawls out of her crib we will know as well. And for some reason they are much cheaper than regular monitors.

One thing about these monitors though is you need a steady room--if it picks up on movement then the alarm won't sound if the child stops breathing. For example in hotels, rooms with a window AC, pets or kids causing movement on the floors, etc. I am still only in the planning phase of my child care center (feverishly trying to find property!!), but I planned to do some research to see if these monitors can be used in a daycare effectively (like a few in one room).

Sorry to ramble on but I am just a huge proponent of movement monitors (obviously, lol).

Tags
baby monitor, cctv, monitor