Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Made My Decision
dingledine 09:29 AM 11-26-2013
I typed up a post, saying... what should I do, and during the post I made up my mind.

I have two kids leaving in Feb, they are M-TH, I also watch a full timer, and that is it. I have a part-timer starting t-th, in January, and some interviews this Sunday.

I'm leaning toward letting my full time go, because although I like her, and love her parents, she bites, and is rough. The parents are working on it too. However, I am accepting a new little one, and I don't want her biting on her now too. I'm going to give this full timer a little longer her, then if she doesn't shape up, I am going to have to let her go. She only bites once in a while, and when she does, it is with force. She also hits, fairly regularly, generally with objects in her hand, to other peoples heads. I will give her 5 weeks, and if she doesn't get it together, I will give her a two week notice. Her parents can get her a nanny, and afford to do that, and maybe even like their experience better.

I just feel bad terming, I like her parents, I like the girl well enough. She has been coming since she was 4mo old.

If I do let her go, I can have most Fridays off. The part timer that is starting in January has said she will need SOME Fridays. I can fill the other spots with part-timers too maybe. I have two interviews on Sunday, that I am getting good vibes for. They want M-W. I also have another interview for days, or part-days Sunday as well.

I have to have a certain number of children here for Early Achievers. At least three. That means my daughter, and two more. I could also just keep the full timer, long enough to complete early achievers, which is no later than the end of March.

The idea of having most Fridays OFF though, sounds fabulous to me.
lovemylife 10:25 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by dingledine:
I typed up a post, saying... what should I do, and during the post I made up my mind.

I have two kids leaving in Feb, they are M-TH, I also watch a full timer, and that is it. I have a part-timer starting t-th, in January, and some interviews this Sunday.

I'm leaning toward letting my full time go, because although I like her, and love her parents, she bites, and is rough. The parents are working on it too. However, I am accepting a new little one, and I don't want her biting on her now too. I'm going to give this full timer a little longer her, then if she doesn't shape up, I am going to have to let her go. She only bites once in a while, and when she does, it is with force. She also hits, fairly regularly, generally with objects in her hand, to other peoples heads. I will give her 5 weeks, and if she doesn't get it together, I will give her a two week notice. Her parents can get her a nanny, and afford to do that, and maybe even like their experience better.

I just feel bad terming, I like her parents, I like the girl well enough. She has been coming since she was 4mo old.

If I do let her go, I can have most Fridays off. The part timer that is starting in January has said she will need SOME Fridays. I can fill the other spots with part-timers too maybe. I have two interviews on Sunday, that I am getting good vibes for. They want M-W. I also have another interview for days, or part-days Sunday as well.

I have to have a certain number of children here for Early Achievers. At least three. That means my daughter, and two more. I could also just keep the full timer, long enough to complete early achievers, which is no later than the end of March.

The idea of having most Fridays OFF though, sounds fabulous to me.
How old is the child? It can be hard to get biters to stop, not all the time. I had one daycare boy (4) that was here for 3 days before I terminated. He bit my hand so hard that you can still see the scar a year later.

I would love to only work 4 days a week!!!
dingledine 10:28 AM 11-26-2013
She is 18mo now. She has bit on and off for the past couple of months. She does it because she is mad, or wants a toy, food... whatever. She did it today, but the last time, was around Halloween. I just don't want her biting one of the new babies I have coming in January.
melilley 10:39 AM 11-26-2013
I had a biter who started here at 18 months and is now 26 mo. He bit when he was mad, wanted a toy, frustrated, what have you and is also mean. Iwanted to term, but decided not to, he would just go somewhere else and who knows. I worked with him a lot on it, he was my shadow for a lot of the time. He gradually stopped biting and hasn't bitten in a few months. He never bit the younger kids, just the older one's, you would have thought it was the other way around. He can still be aggressive, but is getting better, but it's taking a lot of work and mom is on board with us doing the same things at home and here. I guess it all depends on the child. 5 weeks may be enough time, or may not.
melilley 10:40 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
How old is the child? It can be hard to get biters to stop, not all the time. I had one daycare boy (4) that was here for 3 days before I terminated. He bit my hand so hard that you can still see the scar a year later.

I would love to only work 4 days a week!!!
He was 4? That seems a bit too old to be biting!

I so would love to only work 4 days a week too!
dingledine 11:03 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I had a biter who started here at 18 months and is now 26 mo. He bit when he was mad, wanted a toy, frustrated, what have you and is also mean. Iwanted to term, but decided not to, he would just go somewhere else and who knows. I worked with him a lot on it, he was my shadow for a lot of the time. He gradually stopped biting and hasn't bitten in a few months. He never bit the younger kids, just the older one's, you would have thought it was the other way around. He can still be aggressive, but is getting better, but it's taking a lot of work and mom is on board with us doing the same things at home and here. I guess it all depends on the child. 5 weeks may be enough time, or may not.
She started biting in September. I've watched her for 14 mo now. She also has hit for about that long, with hard toys, in peoples heads. She likes to hit anyone, but mostly the other 18mo. She likes to bite the 18mo. She does it because she wants his toy, or to sit where he is. She also has a scream from Hades, that I now am able to overlook. She does this when she wants something, is tired, etc. Today she seems pretty tired.

I am afraid to take on a new child, a little one, and have her bite the 11mo old I have starting in January. I also like the idea of having most Fridays free.
melilley 11:18 AM 11-26-2013
Originally Posted by dingledine:
She started biting in September. I've watched her for 14 mo now. She also has hit for about that long, with hard toys, in peoples heads. She likes to hit anyone, but mostly the other 18mo. She likes to bite the 18mo. She does it because she wants his toy, or to sit where he is. She also has a scream from Hades, that I now am able to overlook. She does this when she wants something, is tired, etc. Today she seems pretty tired.

I am afraid to take on a new child, a little one, and have her bite the 11mo old I have starting in January. I also like the idea of having most Fridays free.
Sounds like you already know what to do!

I would LOVE to have Friday's free!
dingledine 05:16 PM 11-26-2013
I gave the mom a verbal warning today. She and her husband work hard to have their daughter behave. She is just personality wise, a bit rough, in general. I told her that I wanted to keep her here, at least for a while, to keep trying to work on things. I suggested a nanny might be a good idea, as I know they had considered that in the past.

I said that I didn't want to let her go, because I like the mom/dad/girl, ect. I also don't want to change things up for the little girl. The mom was looking very sad, I felt bad. She is the second client that I had, when I opened a bit over a year ago. Her daughter is VERY attached to me.

However, she hit a LOT today, and she hits most days. She hits with objects in her hands, and hurts people. There are no children younger than her here, and I'd worry more about little babies... except I am probably going to get some babies part-time in January/February.

The mom said she would talk to her husband about it tonight, and get back with me. She said that now is not a good time for them to change. I said I wasn't giving them a final notice, or anything yet.

It is her screaming too. It is like a banshee wail. I can tolerate that though. When it is just her, and my daughter, it is great, but when there is more, it is a problem, because she hits more, and bites the boy that is her age. Ugh. I haven't had to let anyone go before.
Reply Up