Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Days Off/Pay

I was curious if others stay open for like Presidents Day or Veterans Day? I stay open but the last 2 years I had only1 child come and they didn't even need to come, all the other parents had it off. So I was thinking about asking in my newsletter if people would use these days to bring their child or not. Would you ask this? And if you had only 1 child coming would you close even if it's for them needing to work?

Another question and this may be stupid but recently I changed my contract to where full time is 4 + days so if they are here 4 days they are charged for 5 days. I do not charge for any days off that I take (other than 6 major Holidays) so when I take a day off would you get the daily rate by dividing it by 5 days or would you divide it by 4 days since that's what they are here? They know they pay for the 5th day. I have next friday off so I know they are going to ask so I don't want to sound like I don't know or am unsure.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Daycare.com Member

If a holiday wasn't already part of my policies for the year, I wouldn't just close up. If a family needs me regardless of whether they're home sleeping all day, I stay open if my schedule said so.

I name the Holidays I plan on closing for in my policies in the beginning of the calendar year, and those are paid days for me. I don't close for President's Day or Veteran's Day. I do "observe" holidays on the Friday before or Monday after if they fall on a weekend. For instance, this year July 4th was a Sunday so I closed on Monday the 5th.

I would charge the full time rate as they would still be there 4 days in the week, right?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I've learned to close on all of those little holidays because either 1 comes or some come and their parents are off at home.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:09 AM

My conract is the same, 4 and 5 days are both full time and i charge the same. If a child is here only 3 days because I close, I just subtract my daily rate from the week. so say I charge 150/week and my daily rate is 30/day, I'd charge 120 for the 3 days. If a child goes down to 4 days from the 5 because I'm closed I would still charge the 150.

I stay open on light days too, I don't close to low attendance, I just do something special on the light days.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM

I am open those days, and if only one kid comes, so be it. I also do not charge PT or FT rates to avoid situations like that. I charge by the day, $35 per day with a 2 day min. A full wk is 175, and they pay if the holiday falls on their reg day, same with part timers. With part timers though I do have a 2 day min. I also charge by the day to avoid the "but my kid is only there 5 hrs". Its for the day weather its 4 hrs, or 10.

Tags
day off, holidays, paid days, paid holidays, paid vacations