Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Took A New Job. . . Excited!!! Advice On Giving Notice To My Current Family
momofboys 12:00 PM 01-04-2011
I have had a TON of problems getting clients. I have done everything under the sun to get more clients (ads in paper, referral bonus, CL ads, brochures hung at the library/post office, trying to tell tons of people what I do, etc) but nothing. So I started thinking outside of the box & thought I might enjoy working as a nanny if the hours/location were right & the potential family could work with me in the summer (I have 2 SA boys of my own & would not want to have to take them with me to another family's home). So I interviewed with a family last week who live about 1.5 miles from my house . They have 2 kids & would allow me to bring my 3 year old to their home. The hours are SUPER (4 days a week 8:30-4) so I can sleep in, get my older kids to school before going to work. In the summer they will bring kids to our home instead of me coming to them. I know there are some negatives like I won't be home everyday but I will be making more $$ & still be home with my own kids this summer & get one day off a week during the school year. I am super-excited.

Now the BAD part. . . .I LOVE my current family & they treat me pretty well (always honest, pay on time, pick up on time, etc). The reason I looked in the first place was b/c I needed to bring in more $$$ & their schedule is sporadic in that they don't need me for big chunks of time (3 week break over Christmas- - very hard on the checkbook since I don't charge when they don't come). So what is the best way to give notice? I am afraid they will be mad at me but I am not terming them b/c of anything they did wrong, only that I needed to pursue opportunities that could give me more $$$. Any advice anyone can give is appreciated. Thank you so much ladies!
Cat Herder 01:13 PM 01-04-2011
Just tell them the truth and give them as much time as possible to find alternative care. You should be fine.

Good luck on your new job!
momatheart 01:21 PM 01-04-2011
I agree be honest and is there someone you could refer them to when you give them notice? Is there a way this nanny job could just come to your house? THen you can keep the other family.
gbcc 01:23 PM 01-04-2011
Just be honest and let them know that you wont be doing daycare in your home any longer. That you are very sorry and they were a great family to work with but this is what you need to do for your family at this time.
tymaboy 02:52 PM 01-04-2011
Yep best way is the the truth. I had 1 family in care. They knew I was looking. Yes they were disappointed when I found a job (same place DCD works) but at same time happy for me cuz they understood.
momofboys 05:41 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by momatheart:
I agree be honest and is there someone you could refer them to when you give them notice? Is there a way this nanny job could just come to your house? THen you can keep the other family.
I don't think they want that (to come to my home full-time), they are already at an in-home provider. They really want more individualized care; however, they are willing to bring my kids to my home in the summer but it will only be about 9-10 weeks then back to their home in the fall. I am going to call a lady I know from church who also does care & possibly ask if she has any openings. And there is also a neighbor of mine I may contact who also is a caregiver. Hopefully one of these individuals will work out for them. I plan to tell them tomorrow & that will give them 2 1/2 weeks notice.

Oh my goodness! I just realized that I could ask the woman who I will be working for for her current in-home provider's name/address!!!! Maybe my current client could go to them since they will now have a possible opening! Too weird but it could work!
Former Teacher 05:51 PM 01-04-2011
I am soo happy for you! Congrats! ~hugs~
misol 06:07 PM 01-04-2011
Great news janarae! I am sure you will make a fabulous nanny and it's awesome that you can bring your own child with you.
momofboys 06:14 PM 01-04-2011
Thanks everyone! I will still be on here for advice but will only be in the evenings or weekends.
momofboys 06:15 PM 01-04-2011
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
Yep best way is the the truth. I had 1 family in care. They knew I was looking. Yes they were disappointed when I found a job (same place DCD works) but at same time happy for me cuz they understood.
How is the new job going? Are you happy with your decision?
tymaboy 06:43 AM 01-05-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
How is the new job going? Are you happy with your decision?
I have not started yet. Mon (Jan 10) is my 1st day. I am excited yet scared. Hope we both made the right decision.
Tags:closing letter, notice, notification letter
Reply Up