Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stars
Flowerchild 06:23 PM 04-30-2019
Out of curiosity does anybody go gung go for stars evaluators? Like buy all new crap nobody uses regular and put it up after they leave so it doesn't get ruined like books? I felt silly doing all this hotel catering type stuff with the kids but it never happens in daily care. Like we had a tent set up with chairs for preschooler to have shade but it was put in baby area for Friday stars day. We literally never had it. All our outdoor stuff is old until stars and we buy all new stuff, art materials. I was out of construction paper for weeks until stars. She said let her know when I'm out but once she told us yo do art daily with kids but gave us computer paper from her office. The back of my paper I use days page separator. Embarrassing
Michael 08:31 PM 04-30-2019
Here are more threads on the Stars Program: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=stars+program
Josiegirl 04:14 AM 05-01-2019
I think Stars is ridiculous in so many ways. I know more than 1 person connected with an agency used to advise us to more or less 'fudge' things to make our application look better, our environments be up to Stars standards, etc. I thought it was so ridiculous and why do it?? To look good for the state and their program requirements. To attain a 'quality educational experience' for state and parents' expectations.
So yes, I can see why managerial positions might do that but it's highly misleading and as I said....ridiculous.
Personally, being an in-home provider I've never bought something I didn't use. I do know a provider who bought a brand new changing table and she had to get another one because it wasn't up to Stars standards.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 05-01-2019
The one thing I really don't like about the stars (QRIS) program is that it's very similar to the food program.

The rules in general are one thing but then every state/agency/coach etc interprets them differently.

I've read about many of the things each state requires of programs to meet the max number of stars and it's so vastly different that its mind boggling.

I'm rated mostly based on performance and/or overall routine verses having a ton of focus on the equipment/materials. I don't think (other than doing the environmental rating scale) that I've ever discussed what toys and other classroom materials, furniture or equipment I have.

I know that each state's QRIS is suppose to be aimed at meeting the educational needs of the children in that area but like I said the differences between what types of goals each state has is straight up confusing.
Flowerchild 06:01 AM 05-01-2019
Yes! It is rediculous. There are worse day cares out there. It makes no sense. I guess I'm authentic and am tired of lying to people about things. It's like faking were good to look good. Makes no sense.
knoxmomof2 06:03 AM 05-01-2019
I'm license exempt, so it's not even a factor for me but I used to clean a daycare center as a side job. I knew when STARS was happening, because I'd see the memos laying around and suddenly every classroom had a new "class pet" or "class plant". They never lasted.... I feel the worst for the fish 😔
Flowerchild 06:10 AM 05-01-2019
I know. I'd feed mine and they'd die 😭 I loved my fish too.
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
Yes! It is rediculous. There are worse day cares out there. It makes no sense. I guess I'm authentic and am tired of lying to people about things. It's like faking were good to look good. Makes no sense.
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
I'm license exempt, so it's not even a factor for me but I used to clean a daycare center as a side job. I knew when STARS was happening, because I'd see the memos laying around and suddenly every classroom had a new "class pet" or "class plant". They never lasted.... I feel the worst for the fish 😔
So true!

A little off topic but this is why I've never "prepared" for an interview/tour. Others post about spending a ton of time prepping and cleaning for a tour only to be super disappointed as the prospective client doesn't show up so the hours were wasted.

My theory on all of that is why spend so much time being something that isn't real? I don't want a prospective client to come tour a picture perfect, spotless, organized environment because truth is if they sign on and start attending here that "picture" isn't what they're going to see so why go through all that effort to be something I am not?
Flowerchild 06:23 AM 05-01-2019
Unfortunately so true. I think it was part of my bad attutude. Nobody wanted to help me get ready till Thursday and then when the day came I found out nobody said who was lead teacher in my room despite me being in there all day with them. It made me mad. And having to do everything just so. No wonder I wasn't sure how to do my job and not frustrated. It was not a normal day with them there 😡😞
LostMyMarbles 06:32 AM 05-01-2019
Isn’t it dishonest to get stuff out for the inspection then put it away after. The star rating is based on our “extra or above and beyond”. In my area providers get more money per star for state pay children. Isn’t this dishonesty taking away from what we stated we were providing/doing on our applications for our stars? Isn’t it in a way scamming the government out of more money? My opinion, yes.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by LostMyMarbles:
Isn’t it dishonest to get stuff out for the inspection then put it away after. The star rating is based on our “extra or above and beyond”. In my area providers get more money per star for state pay children. Isn’t this dishonesty taking away from what we stated we were providing/doing on our applications for our stars? Isn’t it in a way scamming the government out of more money? My opinion, yes.
In my state we have grant money available for what they call "Building Quality". This funding is available for programs to buy equipment and classroom furniture or toys or to pay for trainings for the program.

We have 4 star levels. If a program starts at 0 stars, they can get $1000 for EACH star level up to 4 they earn. So $4000! The kicker is, we have SEVERAL programs that initially rated at 4 stars PURPOSELY go back down to 0 stars just so they can get that grant money.

I think it's about as dishonest as one can be.

Of course, those that have gotten that "free" money don't feel that way but I do and I'm vocal about it to my state and local reps but I am always told, it's not illegal. Unethical but not illegal. I literally cannot roll my eyes hard or loud enough to convey my thoughts/feelings about that.
Flowerchild 07:58 AM 05-01-2019
I didn't realize it was all about money
hwichlaz 08:18 AM 05-01-2019
Things like instruments, art supplies, and books are always available, just not always in reach. I always seem to have one kid that likes to tear that stuff apart. So yeah I put them lower on stars day, lol. But that's it.
Annalee 09:02 AM 05-01-2019
The money gradually goes away and there is no incentive except the state changing their licensing rules to comply with QRIS so we still get hung! Year 18 begins in August for QRIS here....
Flowerchild 09:18 AM 05-01-2019
Yeah my kids took play dough and lost some and mixed them. Now it's only out when I put it out for art or limited use.
Josiegirl 10:00 AM 05-01-2019
Yes, it definitely is. To me, it also takes away any credibility out of any program rated with high Stars because you have to wonder how much has been fudged in the paperwork of the whole process and how much is genuine. Plus of the very few 5 Star programs locally(most are centers) I hear so often through the parental grapevine 'I wouldn't bring my child there!'
Which brings up another topic. Do they ever interview or ask parents that attend these Stars programs, what's important to them? I truly believe parents should be much more involved when it comes to having a say of what actually makes a 'quality' program. Bet they could care less about the paperwork end of it or how many times baby Jimmy's diapers were changed. I also bet many wouldn't care about the parental involvement part of it either; what I mean is attending potluck dinners, seasonal parties or get-togethers I used to have as part of meeting that part of Stars requirement. All the times we ever did anything community related, there'd be maybe 1-2 parents who were very helpful and enjoyed doing anything but that was it. A lot of times I felt parents were feeling put out and stressed because of family engagement. Maybe I'm the odd ball here.
Annalee 10:15 AM 05-01-2019
QRIS is a game here and the provider decides how far they want to play it. Rumor is "unannounced" assessments are in the works. There have been many Q & A sessions in the past month for input how to make QRIS better and more Provider-friendly It will never be provider friendly in my opinion. There has to be a better way! A degree-certified Assessor whom I see for 4-6 hours once a year should not have the power to give me a grade that defines me for another year.

Yes, it is deceitful to count math or science items more during assessment time but who wants to fail the grade and have a "0" on their report card. Personally, I like emergent curriculum the best but QRIS doesn't allow for that....they dictate your supplies, play materials and how often you use them throughout the day.

FWIW, I received my annual report card today and had my assessment in January. Yep, I scored well as usual but should not have to spend four months of of my 12 month year EVERY YEAR relicensing for another year.

My suggestion to the state is to perform QRIS assessment every 3 years and make them voluntary. Right now they are annually and are mandatory within the law for all licensed facilities. Nope, they won't listen to that either.
LostMyMarbles 12:26 PM 05-01-2019
It’s all about the Benjamin’s baby! Lol
Cat Herder 12:47 PM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Rumor is "unannounced" assessments are in the works.
That is how it has always been, here. You complete your application, portfolio and hours then submit. They can show up at any time in the next 30 days.
Cat Herder 12:57 PM 05-01-2019
Not for everyone. Once they started advertising daycare ratings on TV, telling parents that we must suck if we are not rated, it kind of tied our hands.

Almost twenty-five successful years in business and this is how I must stoop.

So, yeah. I play the game when I must.
LostMyMarbles 01:01 PM 05-01-2019
The first year I did a star rating, there was a $500 sign up bonus. After that there has been no kind of bonuses whatsoever for renewing your stars. The benefit of the star rating is to help out with those parents that receive the DHS or state pay daycare. In my specific area, I do not get DHS parents. That bonus was a one time deal. We do not get yearly bonuses we do not get offered grants regularly.

I do my star rating for me andnot for anybody else. In my area there are only a few of us that have a star rating. At least when I interview parents I can say I have a star rating.If nothing else, it does make you look like you are going above and beyond.I still do not have a DHS child in my care. I just never get a call for them in my area. I did receive a pretty good surprise Last spring. I got a email stating that we could apply for grants. Our grants didn’t have anything to do with a number of stars that we had. It was based off of how many children that you cared for that receive DHS benefits. My grant was not nearly as high as mist, but it was certainly nothing to sneeze about. I was amazed with the things I was able to buy for my new day care room with the grant money.

I guess we all look at our star ratings and the benefits of having it differently. I just do it for me.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 05-01-2019
The first year I did a star rating, there was a $500 sign up bonus.
I was supposed to have received 3 cash bonuses and tuition reimbursement by now. Shockingly, every single time the funding fell through.

They do send "stuff" regularly from their "preferred supplier". Much of which has already been disposed of due to poor quality or not being age appropriate for my group.
knoxmomof2 01:26 PM 05-01-2019
In my state, one thing the STARS do is determine how much the government will pay a provider for child care. The higher the STARS rating, the more they'll pay a provider. I only take private pay, but I noticed it when looking into possibly becoming licensed.
Annalee 02:53 PM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by knoxmomof2:
In my state, one thing the STARS do is determine how much the government will pay a provider for child care. The higher the STARS rating, the more they'll pay a provider. I only take private pay, but I noticed it when looking into possibly becoming licensed.
Yes, I am in your state; they recently raised those subsidy rates but that still doesn't mean they pay you on time. It also still doesn't mean they pay you when you close. So I stick to private pay.

Stars really do nothing for providers if we are private pay!
Annalee 02:55 PM 05-01-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That is how it has always been, here. You complete your application, portfolio and hours then submit. They can show up at any time in the next 30 days.
I can see that happening here!
Flowerchild 11:24 AM 05-02-2019
This sounds shocking. Yikes
Tags:annalee, blackcat, qris, stars program
Reply Up