Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Time Has Become A Nightmare!
Unregistered 10:30 AM 04-03-2012
I have a couple of 2 yr olds who jump out of their playpens so I have laid them on the floor. However they continually get up and I spend at least an hour trying to get them all stay on their blankets. Sometimes the 4 year old starts also and they all think it is a game, some day there is multiple trips the time out during naptime! I feel like I have lost total control. Help please!!!
Heidi 10:42 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a couple of 2 yr olds who jump out of their playpens so I have laid them on the floor. However they continually get up and I spend at least an hour trying to get them all stay on their blankets. Sometimes the 4 year old starts also and they all think it is a game, some day there is multiple trips the time out during naptime! I feel like I have lost total control. Help please!!!
back to the playpens...this time with sleep sacks-zippers in the back!

We made some, but you can also buy them online. Worth every penny!

http://www.diapers.com/buy?freetext=...for%20toddlers
Mary Poppins 10:44 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
back to the playpens...this time with sleep sacks-zippers in the back!

We made some, but you can also buy them online. Worth every penny!

http://www.diapers.com/buy?freetext=...for%20toddlers
Isn't that considered restraining? Not that I probably wouldn't try it if I had a similar issue as the OP, but I just wonder if it could be construed as "abusive"?
Heidi 10:49 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Isn't that considered restraining? Not that I probably wouldn't try it if I had a similar issue as the OP, but I just wonder if it could be construed as "abusive"?
Holy Crap No! lol...

They are actually designed for SIDS prevention. I have one from Germany that I got when my son was born (22 years ago). If that's restraining, then so it putting a baby in a crib in the first place, IMO. This is called keeping them safe and warm!
Mary Poppins 10:53 AM 04-03-2012
Holy Crap No! lol...

They are actually designed for SIDS prevention. I have one from Germany that I got when my son was born (22 years ago). If that's restraining, then so it putting a baby in a crib in the first place, IMO. This is called keeping them safe and warm!

Ok, so using one WON'T land me on the front page of Fox News for child abuse? Whew.

I have one little guy that I think would do better sleeping in a playpen but he is 2.5 so I'm iffy on whether or not to do it. I know he can climb out, the little bugger.

I will check out the sleep sack thing.

Is there an age limit?
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 04-03-2012
Sleep sacks are way cool but at 2 years old I find that the "alpha stance" and "mean mommy look" to be far more productive.
KDC 11:16 AM 04-03-2012
Maybe a sticker chart, and after 10 successful naps a toy from the $1 store is awarded? Positive re-inforcement instead of negative? Kids LOVE being the center of attention at that age. Instead of toys you could also award them helper of the day, make a small certificate up and plop a smarties candy roll on top? This way they have something great to show mom, and are well rested instead of you explaining to Mom there was an another unsuccessful nap.

I have a nap song, kids line up and can't wait to go downstairs to nap. Kinda weird, but I dig it =)

Good Luck! They can be such stinkers at nap time! BTW, this worked with the daycare kids, but mine... not so much! ha! LOL
wdmmom 11:16 AM 04-03-2012
Sleep sacks are a remarkable product! I had a 20 month old ( a hefty boy ) who thought swinging his leg out of the pack and play and getting out was the cool thing to do. Welcome sleep sack. Zipper to the back and laid down for night night time. No more lifting any legs going on here. After 2 weeks of the sleep sack, he learned pretty quick to stay where he was put. Training him from a pnp to a cot was super EASY too!
Heidi 11:18 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:

Ok, so using one WON'T land me on the front page of Fox News for child abuse? Whew.

I have one little guy that I think would do better sleeping in a playpen but he is 2.5 so I'm iffy on whether or not to do it. I know he can climb out, the little bugger.

I will check out the sleep sack thing.

Is there an age limit?
I asked my licenser just last week, and she said that they go by the weight restrictions on the pnp, not age. Whew! I would have a nightmare on my hands if my 20 mo's had to sleep on mats. They are staying in those pnp's until the last possible second!
Heidi 11:21 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by KDC:
Maybe a sticker chart, and after 10 successful naps a toy from the $1 store is awarded? Positive re-inforcement instead of negative? Kids LOVE being the center of attention at that age. Instead of toys you could also award them helper of the day, make a small certificate up and plop a smarties candy roll on top? This way they have something great to show mom, and are well rested instead of you explaining to Mom there was an another unsuccessful nap.

I have a nap song, kids line up and can't wait to go downstairs to nap. Kinda weird, but I dig it =)

Good Luck! They can be such stinkers at nap time! BTW, this worked with the daycare kids, but mine... not so much! ha! LOL

Just want to clarify-the sleep sacks are NOT a punishment. My sister made ours (she also does dc), and made them with a cute print. I gave them to my twins dcb's as gifts, and they LOVE their super cozy sleep sacks! They snuggle right in!
Mary Poppins 11:32 AM 04-03-2012
I asked my licenser just last week, and she said that they go by the weight restrictions on the pnp, not age. Whew! I would have a nightmare on my hands if my 20 mo's had to sleep on mats. They are staying in those pnp's until the last possible second!
OK, now I will have to weigh dcb to be sure but he is on the small side. The problem I have with this one is he starts out on his mat but ends up sideways, off of it, etc. He also takes a bit longer to settle down to go to sleep but that I can deal with.

I want MY OWN sleep sack from Germany now. That German engineering...
Mary Poppins 11:35 AM 04-03-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Training him from a pnp to a cot was super EASY too!
I have floor mats. Maybe cots would solve my issue with the sindwinder dcb I have, rather than a sleepsack and pnp. Hmmm...

Except then he'd probably roll off the cot. Sideways.

The funny thing is, he instinctively heads for his brother who could be in another room sleeping. It wouldn't matter, he'd find him and stick his feet in brother's face.
My3cents 11:52 AM 04-03-2012
Holy Crap No! lol...

I wondered this too, a while back.

Does this work for the walkers as well? I need to keep a good man down....lol. He keeps waking my sleepers up, jumping and now trying to climb out- ugh
Unregistered 11:52 AM 04-03-2012
Thanks for all the help! Definatly checking into sleep sack. Reward system would not work for her. She has one if those personalities that are very strong willed. She is so smart and she will even tell you what she is supposed to be doing and what she is doing. I brought back up my octagon gate and put her in it, it is too tall to climb over, but she knows she can lift up the bottom so I held it down for a few minutes and ignored her tantrum. She is now sleeping, but she ripped off her pants and pullup first and is sleeping halfnaked on the blanket. I don't even care. I'm just glad she's out! LoL

I love her to death, but she sure keeps me moving!
Reply Up