Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice on Terming a Family
MCC 08:24 AM 03-27-2013
Back Story:
I have a DCB that I have watched since he was 6 weeks old, he was my first kiddo, and he is now almost 1. I have had continuous issues with this family. "forgetting" to pay, bring DCB early/picking up late, he's always in clothes that are too small and I think it's delaying his crawling, DCM text me ALL the time even past 10pm, telling me they are going on vaca, then not going (this was so frustrating when he was my only one and I thought I was getting a week off)

Anyway... here is my current dilemma. My DD broke her arm on Friday, so I had a sub (my mom) Monday so I could take her to get her cast. They decided not to bring him b/c they don't know my mom (they have met her many times). During the day Monday my DD got a fever, and tested positive for the flu (tough week for us). I called all parents and told them I would be closed Tue-Wed, and let them know about Thursday. DD has not had a fever since yesterday around noon, and has been on the anti-viral since Monday at noon. My county, and pedi says she would be able to go back to daycare today at noon, so I am opening tomorrow.

DCM does not want DCB here until Tuesday, and wants me to hire professional cleaners to come disinfect my whole house. (Daycare is in the basement and we have not been down there since Sunday) I obvs will clean and sanitize, but professionals? Come on! She is also saying that she will be taking this weeks pay out of her next payment?! My contract states that they pay when I close for sickness, end of story. They are choosing to keep him out Thurs -Tues, there is no reason for him to not be here. I'm so done with them.

I was going to term them in June b/c I have a replacement lined up, but I think I want to just do it now. My contract states that if I give them 2 weeks notice of termination, they have to pay for those weeks whether or not their child is here. DCD's mom lives in the area, so I assume they will have her watch DCB, and not want to pay. So any advice on how to grow a backbone and deal with this? They are also totally the kind of people who would lash out on my advertising sources, so I am a little worried about that.

Sorry this got so long. Any advice is welcome.
NeedaVaca 09:12 AM 03-27-2013
whoa! This mom is telling you how to clean your house and what she will pay you among all the other things you mentioned. TERM! No way would I allow that to happen for one more second. When you get your next child you need to enforce your policies from the start and not let the parents get so out of hand. Sounds like they were breaking all the rules AND getting away with it. The very 1st time they break a rule put a stop to it, otherwise they will do it over and over again...Good Luck!!
Play Care 09:12 AM 03-27-2013
If you already have had issues with payment, be prepared to be without for two weeks. Yes, you can take them to court, but depending on where you live that may be more trouble than it's worth.
I would probably just come out and tell them that you can no longer meet their needs (because they are over the top and excessive ) and wish them well. You know them, no matter how much you agonize over it and try to do it nicely, they are going to be mad. If you are going to have to deal with it no matter what, may as well just get it done and have it over with. Good Luck!
Willow 09:16 AM 03-27-2013
You created your policies for a reason. They are worthless unless you follow them to the letter. Don't at all be afraid to do so, your overall reputation will squash the ruckus that mom may or may not even make. Your policies haven't changed, the policies *she* agreed to abide by when she contracted for care. This isn't "do whatever mom wants" daycare, if she doesn't like it let her know there's the door.

As for her getting bucky about an exit all you have to do is remind mom that she CHOSE you. After all the providers you're sure she interviewed to ensure her son was getting the very best she left the most precious being in her life in your care just 6 weeks after his birth, and continued to bring him to you nearly the whole first year of his life. If you were really that terrible why would she have subjected her son to such a person?

Don't be afraid to add that slander and libel are against the law.

Turn it around and hold her accountable for her actions and her words.

All that said don't turn a mountain into a mole hill until she makes it one. Give notice if you want and bill to close out the contract as your policies specify. If she refuses to pay you take her to small claims court. It's easy, inexpensive and if you have her signature on your contract you will win.
rmc20021 09:53 AM 03-27-2013
This is the reason I have in my policy that I can term at any time for any reason without notice. I have never done that, but I don't want to be in a position where I feel I have no choice but to do it and then not be able to and risk not getting paid for services I've provided.

You cannot let one person hold you back because of your fear of what they may say about you. I'd be much more concerned about what they're expecting of you and just leave em in your dust...

Abide by whatever rules you've set up in your policy and then you may want to revise your terms so you don't get put into a position like this again...and always follow your policy (ha, I'm a good one to be giving that advice...but I'm working really hard at it)
MCC 10:27 AM 03-27-2013
Thank you all for the advice. The saddest part is I never realized how ridiculous her behavior was until I came across this forum in December :/

I'm going to write up a termination letter tonight and just deal with what's to come.

I also revised my policies a couple of weeks ago for new clients but did not change it for them since I knew I was teeming them in June.
butterfly 10:32 AM 03-27-2013
I'd term. I'd let them out of the contract effective immediately since it seems unlikely that they'll pay anyways given their history. To me it would be worth the loss in pay to be done with the stress of this family.

You could give them notice and charge for it. If they refuse to pay send them to collections or small claims court.

Personally, I'd just want to be done with it...

Good luck!!
Reply Up