Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd
KEG123 07:30 AM 06-24-2011
DKB was coughing and just threw up some berries. Otherwise is acting fine. Do I call dad and let him know to pick him up, or send an e-mail (he is able to check at work) that I'll keep an eye on him and if he starts acting sick or pukes again to come get him?
KEG123 07:40 AM 06-24-2011
So nobody would do anything??

This is my first experience with a dkb puking. Only been open 2 months.

Anyone??
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 06-24-2011
My sick policy says that if your child throws up for ANY reason, they go home and stay until puke free for a minimum of 24 hours. I do not wait for repeat puking.
Cat Herder 07:46 AM 06-24-2011
Here, if he was coughing on his food or beverage and gagged, I would wait a bit if he has NO other symptoms.

If he has a lot of coughing going on (without getting food/fluid in his airway first) AND vomited I would probably caution on the side of sending him on his merry way.

Without having witnessed it, it is hard to give an accurate answer...ykwim?
KEG123 07:53 AM 06-24-2011
Thanks. That's what I was thinking but since he's not acting sick I guess I was debating on what to do. I sent an e-mail to dad and he's gonna come pick up.

And his breakfast was a good hour and a half prior to the puking.

And it was cough cough, gag... silence for a couple minutes... then puke.
GotKids 07:55 AM 06-24-2011
Sounds like the coughing caused the vomit. I would not send him home unless it continued or the symptoms made him unable to participate as normal. I see nothing wrong with emailing though, my parents like to stay informed during the day.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 06-24-2011
as weird as this sounds, I can do snot, diarrhea and all the other fluid type things kids have going on but I just cannot do puke...even when it is from a bad cough. Plus, I always figure if they are coughing hard enough to throw up, a good day of rest at home will do them wonders.
MarinaVanessa 08:03 AM 06-24-2011
Sorry, just saw this. Sometimes it just takes us a while to read the threads. I would have checked his temperature and if he had a fever over 100* I would have called the parent to have him picked up. If there was no fever I would have notified the parent and told them that it happened but there was no fever and warned them that if it happened again or if a fever came on then they would have to pick up. I have a two-throwup policy though. In this case it seemed like it was the coughing that made him puke and not that he was sick. That's nice though that the parent decided to pick him up.
Cat Herder 08:11 AM 06-24-2011
"And his breakfast was a good hour and a half prior to the puking.

And it was cough cough, gag... silence for a couple minutes... then puke"

Yeah, that would be a free pass home.
KEG123 08:26 AM 06-24-2011
He just left. After I e-mailed dad, he had a massive stanky poo... so I think something is brewing in there.
CheekyChick 09:10 AM 06-24-2011
If I sent children home for coughing and then vomiting, I would have very few children here...

If there is no fever, I would email the father and tell him that his son vomited his breakfast and that if he vomits again, he will need to pick up his son. Otherwise, I'd just wait and watch for other symptoms of the flu. I'm guessing the little boy is fine.
countrymom 09:51 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
He just left. After I e-mailed dad, he had a massive stanky poo... so I think something is brewing in there.
yup something is brewing, but if he just puked once and it wasn't alot or more mucuousy then I let them stay, but if it was alot and did it a second time its a call home.
Blackcat31 10:04 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by CheekyChick:
If I sent children home for coughing and then vomiting, I would have very few children here...

If there is no fever, I would email the father and tell him that his son vomited his breakfast and that if he vomits again, he will need to pick up his son. Otherwise, I'd just wait and watch for other symptoms of the flu. I'm guessing the little boy is fine.
coughing hard enough to throw up is usually either a sign of an illness brewing or the remains of one...so if all the other kids get sick then you will have no kids there and a few kids are better than none.

Also, as a parent, if my child was exposed to another child's illness simply because the provider didn't want to lose the money for having fewer kids, then I would be really upset. I understand that kids expose others simply by being in a group together but as a provider it is our responsibility to not allow exposure to go on any longer than absolutely necessary.
squareone 10:41 AM 06-24-2011
Regardless of the reason, if a child vomits even once I send them home.

When I first started, that wasn't my policy but I've been burned twice using the "wait and see approach". Now I just let the parents play that game.
GotKids 10:49 AM 06-24-2011
and it really helps remind the parents of the illness policy. I thought others might like it as well. keep me home.jpg
Attached:
CheekyChick 02:46 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
coughing hard enough to throw up is usually either a sign of an illness brewing or the remains of one...so if all the other kids get sick then you will have no kids there and a few kids are better than none.

Also, as a parent, if my child was exposed to another child's illness simply because the provider didn't want to lose the money for having fewer kids, then I would be really upset. I understand that kids expose others simply by being in a group together but as a provider it is our responsibility to not allow exposure to go on any longer than absolutely necessary.
Actually, several of my kids have asthma, so coughing and then vomiting is not uncommon. Oh, and I get paid if they get sent home sick.
KEG123 05:17 PM 06-24-2011
I have asthma and I've never puked from coughing!
Tags:communicable disease, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy, sick policy, vomiting
Reply Up