Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Used Chalk Board Paint?
littlemommy 08:11 AM 02-29-2012
Just curious how it works. I would love to have a big chalk board but they are expensive!
Blackcat31 08:18 AM 02-29-2012
I tried it a few years ago and found that it required twice as many coats as they suggested and then didn't stretch nearly as far as I had hoped. I ended up with a smaller area than planned.

I also found that most chalk does not really erase from the painted area very well and seems to "stain" it. After many tries, I just used water to wash it off but you can still see everything the kids ever wrote.

It may be improved since then but I personally am done and not going that route again. Maybe someone else can give you a more current "review" of it.
SandeeAR 08:35 AM 02-29-2012
Curious of replies of recent users. I plan to paint a 4 x 8 exterior plywood board and then hang it on my fence. Due to being on a main (busy) street, we can't go out front and draw on the driveway.
familyschoolcare 08:39 AM 02-29-2012
My sister used it resently. She said that she did find that it took more paint than can said would. She was perpared for that because the guy at the

hardware store warned her of that. Her only real complaint is that the wall she painted it on was not a smooth and flat as she thought it was which causes problems.
melskids 08:55 AM 02-29-2012
I know a provider near me who painted her ENTIRE bottom half of the room in chalkboard paint. she said the kids loved it and had no complaints.

Maybe there are different brands with better quality?
Meeko 09:18 AM 02-29-2012
It's not perfect, but my husband made this 17 years ago and we use it almost every day. The kids started to clean the bottom half in one of the pics...so it's still chalky on the top half!

I am just now thinking I want to put a couple more coats of paint on....but it has done us well.

Please excuse my half finished wall paint......always working on something!

Hmmm...pics didn't attach......will try and fix.
Daycare Diva 09:18 AM 02-29-2012
I am thinking of painting one side of my shed that way the kids can have something to draw on when we are outside.
Meeko 09:22 AM 02-29-2012
17 years old and still going. Needs a re-coat...but we use it almost daily.
Meeko 09:24 AM 02-29-2012
17 years old and used almost daily. Needs a re-coat, but I am very happy with the way it had held up.
Attached: board1.jpg (2.4 KB) 
Sunchimes 10:05 AM 02-29-2012
Meeko, I can't get the image to open--it seems to be unclickable. But I can see in the thumbnail, and it looks great.

We had a pool table in the game room, which became my sewing craft room. The grandkids still enjoyed playing, so we cut a piece of plywood for the top as a work space, and they could just lift it off if they wanted to play. I sanded the heck out of the plywood and painted it with raspberry color chalkboard paint. I loved it. It isn't a smooth as I wish and took way more paint, and it isn't perfect, but I've used it to death. Instead of bits of paper floating around, I could design or keep measurements on the chalkboard. It doesn't wipe off as easily as the ones you buy ready made, but using a damp cloth seems to do the trick.

It is in the corner of my playroom now, and we put diaper bags,etc on it. I've kept it because the babies were ok without that space and it made a perfect place to store the twin stroller (no garage). But, I'm done. Hubby is going to build a shelf around the room, the kids are walking and the double stroller isn't as needed, so it can head to the attic, and the grandkids are teens and don't visit as often. I'm going to put the chalkboard on the wall and let the kids go. Maybe not yet--they are still eating chalk, but soon.

I'd like to put one outside. I wonder if I could use the paint on something weather proof, like plastic or something. Something to think about.
childcarebytori 11:35 AM 02-29-2012
I have an outdoor chalkboard on my wall in my backyard. I used chalkboard paint and it's been wonderful. I had to use two coats, but I am in a desert state so it's been hit with hot heat in the summer, snow this past winter and 12 kids coloring it up everyday.

You can check out the photo of it on my website's photo gallery.

www.childcarebytori.com
MissAnn 04:32 PM 02-29-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Just curious how it works. I would love to have a big chalk board but they are expensive!
I have Wallies.....I'm telling you, they are wonderful!

Go here: wallies.com

I have long, wide strips so the kids can "sign in" I want to get more!
GrannyJ 05:01 PM 02-29-2012
I just finished making a chalkboard our of plywood, I put it up on my back fence. So far we all love it! So I would recommend it.
Crazy8 05:10 PM 02-29-2012
I recently used the chalkboard spray paint on a piece of galvanized metal to have a magnetic chalkboard. It worked ok but it doesn't erase as well as I would like. I use wet paper towels on it to get it really clean but that seems to be taking off some of the paint. Not sure if it needed more coats or what - I used the whole can.

I'll see if I can find a pic of mine.
Tags:chalkboard
Reply Up