Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smells of Urine
rmc20021 08:00 AM 03-01-2013
My drop in dcg just arrived and I love her to death...but today I can't stand to get near her. She smells so strongly of urine that she's sitting 5 feet away from me and I can still smell her.

I've never smelled this girl like this before, but she arrived earlier than usual because her dad thought he was supposed to go into work later and they had called him telling him he was late.

I'm thinking she's a bed wetter and dad didn't have time this morning to bathe her as he was running late. But this smell is HORRIBLE!!!!!
Play Care 08:15 AM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
My drop in dcg just arrived and I love her to death...but today I can't stand to get near her. She smells so strongly of urine that she's sitting 5 feet away from me and I can still smell her.

I've never smelled this girl like this before, but she arrived earlier than usual because her dad thought he was supposed to go into work later and they had called him telling him he was late.

I'm thinking she's a bed wetter and dad didn't have time this morning to bathe her as he was running late. But this smell is HORRIBLE!!!!!
Can you give her a quick sponge bath and then change her clothing?
Yuck! I might be tempted to call the parents and see if I could give a full bath so she wasn't smelling all day. Poor her and poor you!
KnoxMom 08:23 AM 03-01-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
Have you considered giving her a bath

I would request going forward that she brings a set of extra clothing. I charge a $2 laundry fee if the parent fails to send extra clothes (comparable to a laundromat). Surely there is a T-shirt or something you can throw on her until you wash/dry her clothes and put them back on her?

You could also consider implementing a policy that states children arriving in soiled clothing or smelling of urine will not be accepted as a health risk if you are uncomfortable with doing laundry. In our state, this is considered a form of neglect and the parent would be at risk of being reported.
dEHmom 08:24 AM 03-01-2013
If you can give her a quick bath I would say do so. I agree with pp, so probably wet herself over night and then dad didn't have time so he just dressed her and sent her off.

i have 1 dck who's got some health issues, not even sure what they all are, but slight facial deformities and developmentally delayed, heart problems as well. I don't know if it has to do with the issues, or if it's something else, but her urine is so strong. It really does stink 100% of the time, and i change her often because the smell is unbearable. It smells like a night time diaper that's a few days old. She drinks a ton of water here, I think she is still on soy milk at home, maybe that's what does it? I've given her a bath several times before because sometimes it runs up her back while she is sleeping, and when it's not contained in the diaper it's 10x stronger. A few of the kids here are grossed out by the smell, and they've gagged before, so I do my best to keep the smell down because kids can be unintentionally cruel
countrymom 09:45 AM 03-01-2013
I found wipes don't work either. If you don't want to wash you can add some lotion to a wash cloth and wipe her down, put some baby powder on her or maybe change her clothes.
dave4him 11:26 AM 03-01-2013
I would hate that, but i cant smell so i wouldnt notice. The little boy i watch always comes smelling like smoke and wet dog, now he smells like urine two since his aunts idea of potty training is to just stick him in underwear and hope he can hold it long enough to tell someone.
Reply Up