Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tylenol Because It's Wednesday
Soupyszoo 08:10 AM 03-07-2012
I have a new dcb who started three weeks ago. He's 8 months. He is their second son. So far dcm has brought him every morning and informed me that she has given Tylenol. When I ask "why" or "what for" she has varying reasons. Never for a fever, but for example, today she gave him Tylenol because "he has a runny nose". His runny nose is clear. She's taken to the doctor twice in the last two weeks because of his congestion, which IMO sounds and looks normal. I don't think I will say anything about what she chooses to use Tylenol for, but does anyone else think this is a little much?
Country Kids 08:12 AM 03-07-2012
Isn't there a thread somewhere where a child was being overmedicated and had to finally be termed because the provider was afraid of something happening to the child from it?

Anyone remember that one?
Soupyszoo 08:20 AM 03-07-2012
Oh my gosh really?? I haven't seen that. I don't give it to him during the day because he doesn't need it. I was always the kind of mom/provider that tried to use medicine as little as possible. I've never given my kids Tylenol/motrin etc for a runny nose

She's not a new mom too which confused me because usually by the second one you kind of know what's going on, KWIM
Breezy 08:28 AM 03-07-2012
I remember that thread. So sad!! Yes I think that's too much tylenol and for dumb reasons but maybe she thinks its a cure all. I dated a guy once that said his mom gave him tylenol for everything from a hangnail to a stomach ache. So whenever I had a stomach ache he would say want me to get the tylenol? He seriously thought it would help any ailment.
Soupyszoo 08:37 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I remember that thread. So sad!! Yes I think that's too much tylenol and for dumb reasons but maybe she thinks its a cure all. I dated a guy once that said his mom gave him tylenol for everything from a hangnail to a stomach ache. So whenever I had a stomach ache he would say want me to get the tylenol? He seriously thought it would help any ailment.
Do you guys think I should say something?? I wasn't going to but maybe she's just that clueless
godiva83 08:42 AM 03-07-2012
I would say something, it isn't good for a child or really anyone for that matter to use medications in excess - and taking it everyday or not for the appropriate ailments is dangerous and not needed.

Tell Mum you feel that DCB is well and there is no need for tyelonol in your opinion. Or if it's hard to be up front, tell her you were reading an article on the over use of tyelonol in children and how dangerous it can be - play dumb. I am sure if you google it an article or 2 will come up and you can fwd it to her.
Soupyszoo 08:44 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by godiva83:
I would say something, it isn't good for a child or really anyone for that matter to use medications in excess - and taking it everyday or not for the appropriate ailments is dangerous and not needed.

Tell Mum you feel that DCB is well and there is no need for tyelonol in your opinion. Or if it's hard to be up front, tell her you were reading an article on the over use of tyelonol in children and how dangerous it can be - play dumb. I am sure if you google it an article or 2 will come up and you can fwd it to her.
Good idea!
MrsB 08:48 AM 03-07-2012
If it were me, I think I might add an article in my newsletter about the risks/lasting effects of overmedicating with tylenol!

It is so aweful! I had to report a parent to CPS because come to find out she was giving her 4yr old child benedryl in the car at pick up everyday (2pm) so she would mom could take a nap when they get home. The little girl never slept here, but was always quiet and stayed on her mat during rest time (1130am-2:00pm).
Blackcat31 08:49 AM 03-07-2012
An old thread(s) about over medicating a child.....they have some good info in them.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35122

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...over+medicated
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:18 AM 03-07-2012
Oh Boy another one?

Why?

I thought there was a recall on the infant tylenol because the droppers were wrong.

I would tell this parent I cannot accept your child if he is medicated for nothing.

Some parents
nannyde 10:58 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
I have a new dcb who started three weeks ago. He's 8 months. He is their second son. So far dcm has brought him every morning and informed me that she has given Tylenol. When I ask "why" or "what for" she has varying reasons. Never for a fever, but for example, today she gave him Tylenol because "he has a runny nose". His runny nose is clear. She's taken to the doctor twice in the last two weeks because of his congestion, which IMO sounds and looks normal. I don't think I will say anything about what she chooses to use Tylenol for, but does anyone else think this is a little much?
I don't accept children on Tylenol or advil for any reason because it masks fever. I have to know every day the children attending are fever free without the aid of medication. That's impossible to know if the kid comes on tylenol or advil.

Fever is the number one indicator of illness. We have to KNOW the child doesn't have a fever when they attend.

I pray for the day when tylenol and advil are removed from the shelves and are by prescription only. Taking them off the market would be the greatest health services to American children that the government could do. This way we wouldn't have the VERY serious issue of parents masking fever to get their children into child care and school.

We were able to get cold medicine off the shelves. Tylenol and advil need to come off too. The pediatricians should support it because it will mean more business from them. They need to dole it out in just a few mililiters at a time. The manufacturers of it could hike up the price to HIGH prices so they make the same amount of money. It would mean less risk for them, less volume for them, and way more money. Win win for everyone especially the kids. If your kid is sick enough for it they need to be seen and it needs to be prescribed. We need to STOP using it for teething and allergies. It's dangerous and it is difficult to train parents in proper use because the incentive to mask fever is money.
littlemommy 11:18 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Isn't there a thread somewhere where a child was being overmedicated and had to finally be termed because the provider was afraid of something happening to the child from it?

I posted (I think in November?) about a 13 month old who I had to term. DCM had several meds (prescription and over the counter) in his bag and wanted me to give them. Most of them were not for children under the age of 4...and Dimetap was in there-which says on the bottle not to give to kids under 7!

I know the provider that he goes to now. Since he left my care, he has been in the hospital several times for kidney infections and pneumonia. The current provider doesn't give him meds, nor did I in my house, but I still think the mom is drugging him at home. The last couple days I had him here he slept 6-8 hours/day. I was so scared for him. CPS was notified. I even called them and gave them an update after current provider told me he was in the hospital.

On a side note, on the rare occasion I talk to the current provider, I do not ask about him, she just brings it up and updates me. She doesn't see the severity of the situation that I had with the mom, and doesn't think she actually gave him the meds, but just kept them in the bag She even had the nerve to ask me if I "wanted him back" when we move this summer. Turns out DCM and boy are moving to the same city as me. Can ya guess what my answer was?! HA it's not like the mom would even WANT to come back to me. She knows I reported.
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

I posted her thread(s) here...

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
An old thread(s) about over medicating a child.....they have some good info in them.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35122

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...over+medicated
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
I posted (I think in November?) about a 13 month old who I had to term. DCM had several meds (prescription and over the counter) in his bag and wanted me to give them. Most of them were not for children under the age of 4...and Dimetap was in there-which says on the bottle not to give to kids under 7!

I know the provider that he goes to now. Since he left my care, he has been in the hospital several times for kidney infections and pneumonia. The current provider doesn't give him meds, nor did I in my house, but I still think the mom is drugging him at home. The last couple days I had him here he slept 6-8 hours/day. I was so scared for him. CPS was notified. I even called them and gave them an update after current provider told me he was in the hospital.

On a side note, on the rare occasion I talk to the current provider, I do not ask about him, she just brings it up and updates me. She doesn't see the severity of the situation that I had with the mom, and doesn't think she actually gave him the meds, but just kept them in the bag She even had the nerve to ask me if I "wanted him back" when we move this summer. Turns out DCM and boy are moving to the same city as me. Can ya guess what my answer was?! HA it's not like the mom would even WANT to come back to me. She knows I reported.
I thought of you immediately when I read this thread. I dug up your post and the updated one and linked them earlier in this thread so OP could go back and read what about your situation.

I am sooo happy you are no longer involved with that family and don't have to worry about it anymore.
littlemommy 01:31 PM 03-07-2012
Thanks BlackCat

I'll always wonder how that little boy is doing. It's sad that some of the sweetest kids have the hardest parents to work with!
Sunchimes 08:30 PM 03-07-2012
I know we never give kids aspirin, so this is a little OT but I'll share it anyway. Our GP has forbidden us to take aspirin. He said that if aspirin was invented today it would be a banned substance, or at the least, a tightly regulated substance. I do know that my husband can't use it anymore. He has had 3 rounds of idiopathic pancreatitis in the last dozen or so years. He doesn't drink or smoke or have high cholesterol or do any other things known to cause it (hence the idiopathic label). Last year, in my reading, I found that they had learned that aspirin could cause it (as well as prednisone). Pretty scary stuff.
Reply Up