Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapers
Bella99 08:42 PM 04-20-2012
So sorry for all my questions..

I saw one lady in my area is cloth diaper friendly. Now, i'm familiar with cloth diapering, but how does one have a cloth diaper home daycare. Who does what.. ect. If anyone has any insight? I'm curious.
Abigail 08:47 PM 04-20-2012
I'm confused on your question or what exactly you're asking about. I'm a cloth-diaper friendly daycare and that means that I am willing to cloth diaper if the parents provide the diapers. Many home providers will not do cloth diapers because you have to carry back and forth and have the storage room and make sure to abide by licensing standards for health/safety guidelines. Cloth diapering in my state isn't allowed in centers, only home daycares because they argue it's not sanitary and too difficult to diaper correctly.
Bella99 08:55 PM 04-20-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm confused on your question or what exactly you're asking about. I'm a cloth-diaper friendly daycare and that means that I am willing to cloth diaper if the parents provide the diapers. Many home providers will not do cloth diapers because you have to carry back and forth and have the storage room and make sure to abide by licensing standards for health/safety guidelines. Cloth diapering in my state isn't allowed in centers, only home daycares because they argue it's not sanitary and too difficult to diaper correctly.
Sorry, I wrote it as it came out in my head.. spur of the moment question.

I was asking how the daycares go about cloth diapering. Do you clean them, or do you hand them off to the parents, if so.. how do you store them, do you store them as any family would or is it different because you're a daycare. Do you only allow disposable liners?

I think thats it for the questions, for now..
MarinaVanessa 10:41 PM 04-20-2012
I accomodate cloth diapers. The parents supply enough cloth diapers to last me for an entire day plus some disposable diapers "just in case". They also supply me with a wet-bag to put the soiled diapers in and I recommend the flushable liners. I only accomodate for pocket diapers though which are the ones that pretty much look like regular disposable diapers (not flat diapers).

When the DCK does their business I take the soiled diaper and if they use flushable liners I'll remove the liner and flush it down the toilet and put the dirty diaper in their wet bag. I do not rinse or wash the diapers. They go in the bag and get sent home at the end of the day. The flushable liners really help to catch most of the poop so the diapers don't get as dirty or stained.
Michael 11:18 PM 04-20-2012
More threads on cloth diapers: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=cloth+diapers
Abigail 07:38 AM 04-21-2012
I'm very similar to MarinaVanessa's post. I've had two families on cloth diapers and both used Bum Genius pocket diapers. I have a changing table with drawers and all the drawers have three baskets so I can hold three children's spare clothing and diapers. The cloth take up a TON of room. I have to use 2/3 of a drawer to store them. So my top drawer I took out two baskets and the wet bag and about 10 diapers that are pre-stuffed ready to use go in their. I just open the top drawer while I change their diaper so I put the soiled diaper into the wetbag in the drawer and store the wetbag in the drawer. I have only had 2 solid poops from my toddler in cloth and that diaper I carry down the hall and dump in the toilet. They do not use liners.

I get enough diapers to last the day and they brought about 5 disposables which I have only used 1-2/month with two full time in cloth diapers. When I change them I only have to fold over the laundry tabs and then pull out the insert (which is the nasty part for me) because the insert is always wet and I'm just squeezing the soiled insert to be able to pull it out and set it in the diaper to fold over and then pickup the diaper to put in the wetbag.

I would probably do anykind of cloth diaper to give it a try, but personally when I have kids I want to use the Bum Genius diapers because of my experience over the years with them.
MarinaVanessa 10:24 AM 04-21-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm very similar to MarinaVanessa's post. I've had two families on cloth diapers and both used Bum Genius pocket diapers. I have a changing table with drawers and all the drawers have three baskets so I can hold three children's spare clothing and diapers. The cloth take up a TON of room. I have to use 2/3 of a drawer to store them. So my top drawer I took out two baskets and the wet bag and about 10 diapers that are pre-stuffed ready to use go in their. I just open the top drawer while I change their diaper so I put the soiled diaper into the wetbag in the drawer and store the wetbag in the drawer. I have only had 2 solid poops from my toddler in cloth and that diaper I carry down the hall and dump in the toilet. They do not use liners.

I get enough diapers to last the day and they brought about 5 disposables which I have only used 1-2/month with two full time in cloth diapers. When I change them I only have to fold over the laundry tabs and then pull out the insert (which is the nasty part for me) because the insert is always wet and I'm just squeezing the soiled insert to be able to pull it out and set it in the diaper to fold over and then pickup the diaper to put in the wetbag.

I would probably do anykind of cloth diaper to give it a try, but personally when I have kids I want to use the Bum Genius diapers because of my experience over the years with them.
Wow Abigail, I don't even go as far as you do for cloth diapers. I also LOVE the Bum Genious pocket diapers. I was going to sell them after I used them for my own son (one of the reasons that I allow cloth diapers) but decided to keep them just in case I decide to have another baby a few years down the road. Back to the diapers: the only thing that I do is dump the poop in the toilet (if they use a flushable liner then I plop it- poop and all - into the toilet and flush. If they don't use a disposable liner then I just plop the poop into the toilet). I don't scrape or rinse the cloth diapers or cloth liners at all (some people use the insert, a cloth liner and a disposable liner, at least I do and my clients do). I just fold the diaper back up and put it in the wet bag. I don't pull the inserts out either, they stay where they are. I don't want to mess with them .
youretooloud 10:36 AM 04-21-2012
I love cloth diapers because I don't have to keep a bucket of smelly diapers in my house. It actually bothers me that so many parents use disposables because then I have to use my trash space to throw them out. Our garbage is only picked up once a week. In the summer the flies are horrendous out by the dumpster.

I send them home every night, and they wash them and bring them back. I don't mind folding the prefolds or flats... in fact, I kind of enjoy folding them. (I also enjoy hanging my laundry on the line... I'm weird like that) But, I don't want to wash them.

So, the parents just wash em, and dump them in the sack. I fold them, put them away, and use them like a disposable.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407396...Types&var=sbar <--My favorite system is covers and a prefold or flat. I don't like the all in ones... but, I don't tell them my preference, I let them choose and I'll use whatever they want.
DBug 01:23 PM 04-21-2012
My parents bring a bag of cloth diapers & fresh wet bag each morning. I take the whole bag to the bathroom at our first diaper change time, put the used ones in the wet bag (dump any loose poop, I leave the messy stuff), and take the whole thing back to the child's cubby after our final diaper change time for the day.

I do make sure each child has a few disposables here just in case. We pay for garbage too, so it saves me money when families go with cloth. The last few have used Bum Genius with snaps (MUCH better than velcro -- love them!), but I've also used others as well.

It's actually pretty easy, and it does open up your choice of clients if you're willing to accept cloth. Also, the parents that are willing to invest the $$ and energy into using cloth tend to be the type of parents that spend more time and energy on their kids . Always a good thing!
Abigail 03:59 PM 04-21-2012
I didn't have to do anything except dump the poop for the first cloth diaper family. I don't think asking me to fold over the laundry tabs is a big deal or to dump the solids into the toilet or to pull out the insert. This way my client only has to unzip the bag and dump it into their washer along with the bag. They must do diaper laundry 3-4 times a week because they have 3-4 different wetbags.......they are probably called dry bags, lol, because no water is in them.

The only changes I had to make in daycare to accommodate cloth diapers was to change out my diaper pail to a flip lid garbage can. The diaper pail I had wouldn't let me toss in just wet wipes from cloth diapers since you obviously can't fold those into cloth diapers. So I opted for a small 4-gallon (or so) black step can which uses grocery bags. No diaper pail completely holds in the smell anyways and since i work alone my changing table is in the main daycare room where we are all the time and I can supervise while I change diapers. Everytime I get a poopy diaper which is normally just one a day or sometimes everyone at once is when I tie out the bag and toss it into the garage. It's emptied daily that way, but not necessarily at the end of the day. I don't want to waste more bags than I have to even though I'm recycling the grocery store bag, but I am very thankful for the two kids in cloth because it cuts down on my diapers in the garbage.
3girls 08:40 PM 04-21-2012
I opt in for cloth diapers Just bag em up and send em home to be washed. I used cloth on my own because of the nasty chemicals in disposable diapers and when other other parents do cloth too.
Sprouts 05:31 AM 04-22-2012
I am thinking of switching my son to cloth diapers, how many should I buy? And how often do they need to be washed? And do they feel when they're wet as compared to regular disposable diapers?
Countrygal 05:34 AM 04-22-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I love cloth diapers because I don't have to keep a bucket of smelly diapers in my house. It actually bothers me that so many parents use disposables because then I have to use my trash space to throw them out. Our garbage is only picked up once a week. In the summer the flies are horrendous out by the dumpster.

I send them home every night, and they wash them and bring them back. I don't mind folding the prefolds or flats... in fact, I kind of enjoy folding them. (I also enjoy hanging my laundry on the line... I'm weird like that) But, I don't want to wash them.

So, the parents just wash em, and dump them in the sack. I fold them, put them away, and use them like a disposable.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1407396...Types&var=sbar <--My favorite system is covers and a prefold or flat. I don't like the all in ones... but, I don't tell them my preference, I let them choose and I'll use whatever they want.
I'm like you - I don't mind the cloth diapers at all, although none of my parents currently use them. And I LOOOVVVVEEEE to hang clothes on the line - it is my "quiet time".
Texasjeepgirl 04:22 PM 04-22-2012
I've only had one brief experience with cloth diapering... just a few months ago..
The now 9 month old baby in my care... mom asked if I would 'try' them here.. and I told her sure... It was really never and issue.. the mom put a liner inside ...which when the baby pooped..all I did was dump the poop..which was on the liner.. into the toilet.. then bag the diaper..
Except for the dumping of the poop...the only other difference is snapping up the snaps rather than disposable diaper closure tabs...
The mom decided she didn't care for using them.. so now the baby is on disposables again... but I certainly didn't have any type of issue with using them in my daycare... I don't know why they are made out to be non sanitary... the old traditional cloth diapers...yes...but the new one's.. not at all...

MarinaVanessa 08:35 PM 04-22-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I am thinking of switching my son to cloth diapers, how many should I buy? And how often do they need to be washed? And do they feel when they're wet as compared to regular disposable diapers?
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I bought 12 when I first got started and that works for me just fine. That's enough to last me 2 full days. I had disposable diapers always available though jut in case and I preferred not to use cloth diapers at night.

I always washed my diapers at the end of each day but I hear you don't have to wash them that often but for sure every other day. And you can't dry the diapers themselves in the dryer, they have to be lined dried. Line drying so helps with getting stains out of them too. The inserts and cloth liners can be dries in the dryer though.

12 diapers all at once can be a big expense so if you don't mind using used ones you can sometimes find them cheaper on eBay or craigslist. Sometimes you an even find them used on websites that sell cloth diapers and they're professionally washed and cleaned. Good cloth diapers will cost you a good $12-$15 per diaper depending on the brand. I recommend Bum Genius. I love that they are adjustable and can be used for infants all the way up to 2-3 years. Ok ow it sounds like a lot of money to spend all at once but I made my money back within the first 2 months of using them compared to using Kirkland diapers from Costco.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me
littlemommy 10:44 AM 04-23-2012
What do you ladies do for wipes? Do you require parents to supply cloth wipes or use disposables? If you use disposable wipes do you throw them away or send em with the diapers?
I have a dcb in cloth. The parents use disposable wipes. It gets super messy to try and throw those away so I've been sending them in the diaper. Is that horribly mean of me?! I use prefolds with my kids and find cloth wipes to be so much easier.
youretooloud 11:15 AM 04-23-2012
I use disposable wipes, and I throw them in the same bucket as the disposable diapers.

I don't like the reusable wipes because they are so small and annoyingly hard to keep track of.
Bella99 11:22 AM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
What do you ladies do for wipes? Do you require parents to supply cloth wipes or use disposables? If you use disposable wipes do you throw them away or send em with the diapers?
I have a dcb in cloth. The parents use disposable wipes. It gets super messy to try and throw those away so I've been sending them in the diaper. Is that horribly mean of me?! I use prefolds with my kids and find cloth wipes to be so much easier.
Why do you send disposable wipes home? They need to be thrown away.
MarinaVanessa 12:52 PM 04-23-2012
I'll use whatever they want me to use but so far noone uses cloth wipes and I don't either. I put the disposable wipes on the dirty diaper and when I'm donr toss them in the diaper genie with the other disposable diapers.
littlemommy 09:57 PM 04-23-2012
Originally Posted by Bella99:
Why do you send disposable wipes home? They need to be thrown away.
It gets messy to seperate out the wipes from the dirty diaper. I don't have any other babies in disposables so no diaper genie. I'd rather not throw loose poopy wipes in a trash can. Good thing he rarely poops here
KBCsMommy 09:21 AM 04-24-2012
So for all of you who cloth diaper....how often do you change your babies? And do your cloth diapers stink?!

I have a dcg who is cloth diapered, and everyone always knows when she's here because her diapers stink soooo BAD!!!

And her mom is always saying I don't change her enough because she always gets a red bum when she leaves. Although she usually comes with a rash and by Tuesday its gone and have pointed it out on several occasions..When she's awake I change her as needed. Before and after naps and every hour to hour and a half.

So how often do you change their cloth diapers?
littlemommy 11:19 AM 04-24-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
So for all of you who cloth diaper....how often do you change your babies? And do your cloth diapers stink?!

I have a dcg who is cloth diapered, and everyone always knows when she's here because her diapers stink soooo BAD!!!

And her mom is always saying I don't change her enough because she always gets a red bum when she leaves. Although she usually comes with a rash and by Tuesday its gone and have pointed it out on several occasions..When she's awake I change her as needed. Before and after naps and every hour to hour and a half.

So how often do you change their cloth diapers?
Every 2 hours
Tags:cloth diapers
Reply Up