Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pilgrims vs. Indians??
daycare 04:03 PM 11-02-2012
So I am not very Educated on the Thanksgiving Holiday. I do understand very basics of it...... For me it is more of a commercial celebration with friends and family more than anything.

This month is National Reading month and I wanted to do a reading challenge of teams.

Something like the Pilgrims vs. Indians....Each child can choose a team to be on...

Would this be an incorrect thing to do? If it's not a good idea can you suggest something else ??? like cats vs dogs???
AmyLeigh 04:28 PM 11-02-2012
I would steer away from pilgrims v. Indians, personally. I live near a reservation, and while I dont have any tribal members as clients, I want to exemplify cultural sensitivity.
I dont have any neat ideas otherwise.....hmmm...reds v. yellows? (Autumnal colors). Im just not very creative.
momofsix 04:29 PM 11-02-2012
I agree. No Pilgrims vs Indians. Glad you asked!
familyschoolcare 04:31 PM 11-02-2012
Pilgrims vrs Indians could be seen as insensitive as the pilgrims where friends with the Indians and the a few years later the white man kicked the Indians out off the land they had lived on for years.
daycare 04:33 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Pilgrims vrs Indians could be seen as insensitive as the pilgrims where friends with the Indians and the a few years later the white man kicked the Indians out off the land they had lived on for years.
Oh dear....thank goodness I asked.........

I will have to come up with something else...
is there another animals besides the Turkey that is known during this time??
daycare 04:37 PM 11-02-2012
how about I do this..../

cat vs dogs and hang this up??
Attached: thanksgiving-animals-leaf-frame.jpg (16.4 KB) 
familyschoolcare 04:41 PM 11-02-2012
familyschoolcare 04:52 PM 11-02-2012
daycare 04:55 PM 11-02-2012
I wonder why it keeps reposting like this??
familyschoolcare 05:15 PM 11-02-2012
Sorry I think it is my fault I am on my phone and got a call while responding I going from one to the other got it messed up.
AmyLeigh 06:20 PM 11-02-2012
Pinecones v. Acorns?
daycare 07:05 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by AmyLeigh:
Pinecones v. Acorns?
ahhh I love that.....so stinking cute
Crystal 07:46 PM 11-02-2012
How about no teams and you just have a "how many books can WE read" challenge? Create a chart and every time you read a book with the children, or the children "read" a book on their own, you record the Title, Author and Date that it was read. You could even send home reading logs with the families to log books that they read at home and add those to your chart. Maybe set a goal for how many books to read for the month and if they reach that goal they get a pizza party or something.. At the end of the month, total the number of books read and if the goal is reached, the GROUP gets the prize!

I would call it "Fall Reading Frenzy" or "Falling for Books" something related to the season rather than the holiday.
Willow 07:58 PM 11-02-2012
I agree with Crystal, I'd probably avoid the vs. as it might be discouraging.

Although the Pilgrims were *never* "friends" of Native Americans (my dad is Native American and I have some pretty strong feelings about all that....) I don't think there's anything wrong with going with a Thanksgiving theme.

I'd maybe make a turkey. Every book read earns a feather (everything out of construction paper would make it easy and super inexpensive). The goal of the group would be to see how big everyone can build the plumage? You could celebrate with a party and take pictures of everyone by it the day before Thanksgiving? The nice part about that is the turkey would be something the parents could actually see and would likely appreciate.

Come to think of it I may just do that myself even though my group is small and made up of littles lol
daycare 09:52 PM 11-02-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
I agree with Crystal, I'd probably avoid the vs. as it might be discouraging.

Although the Pilgrims were *never* "friends" of Native Americans (my dad is Native American and I have some pretty strong feelings about all that....) I don't think there's anything wrong with going with a Thanksgiving theme.

I'd maybe make a turkey. Every book read earns a feather (everything out of construction paper would make it easy and super inexpensive). The goal of the group would be to see how big everyone can build the plumage? You could celebrate with a party and take pictures of everyone by it the day before Thanksgiving? The nice part about that is the turkey would be something the parents could actually see and would likely appreciate.

Come to think of it I may just do that myself even though my group is small and made up of littles lol
This rocks. I am on it!!!!!!
Thank you all for time posting this. I love love love it!!

And thank you all for not making fun of me that I still really don't understand this American holiday. Perhaps I should take time to learn more about it!!

Yeah I'm excited!!!!!

Oh and I saw a huge turkey you can purchase from orientation trading.

So buying it!!!!
Angelsj 05:32 AM 11-03-2012
It is long, but if you really want to understand what Thanksgiving means to the Native American peoples you should read this and this to start off.
bluemoose_mom 06:53 AM 11-03-2012
Just out of curiosity...where are you from daycare? I'm sure everyone else knows, but I'm rather new.
Willow 07:43 AM 11-03-2012
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
It is long, but if you really want to understand what Thanksgiving means to the Native American peoples you should read this and this to start off.
Awesome links
daycare 08:49 AM 11-03-2012
Egypt... But have been here almost 20 years. I'm embarrassed I still don't know much about any of the holidays .
bluemoose_mom 09:51 AM 11-03-2012
I wouldn't be so embarrassed, I'm sure most (me included) could learn more about holidays in general, and not just what that holiday means to our family!

But cool that you're from Egypt! I love to travel (haven't traveled outside the us, besides Canada a couple of times), so it's kinda fun to hear where people are from!
daycare 01:14 PM 11-07-2012
So I have my turkey up and ready to go....I am still cutting and drawing the feathers...

I just need to make a nice banner to go over the top of the turkey with a nice saying.... I'll try to get some pics of it later on...

We named the Turkey Tom... So the letter going out says Tom the Turkey needs to earn his feathers can you help him....
Tags:thanksgiving - crafts
Reply Up