Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Speech Issues

I have posted about this kiddo before. He turns five this month, I am trying to prep him for kindy. He has some issues, which so far parents refuse to deal with. Mom says "oh his dad and I both have issues catching onto things but we eventually get it". Mom also said she is mildly dyslexic when I brought up my concern he may be. Dad just seems to have an "okay whatever attitude".

To me, the fact that they won't do anything doesn't take away what I believe I should be doing in providing care. So that leaves me looking for ways around it. We finally learned all our upper and lowercase letters, so we are learning. BUT numbers are a different issue right now. We are gaining ground there also, but his speech in interfering. For 3, he says "free", so for 13 he is saying "firteen". But that makes him confuse it with 14. He of course has some other speech issues, but in this case it is causing him a real issue with his learning, which he is always so eager for learning time, he loves it and mostly soaks it up. And counting to 20 and recognizing the numbers is one of the things they want to start kindy, however I have one in kindy (only elementary in our little town), that halfway through the year can still only count to 19 so who knows. But she is required to count to 100 by the end of the year to go to first grade. Sigh.

I guess I am venting because I have no idea what to do!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

If it helps any the TH blend usually is like this until a child is around 7 years old. That is typical development so I wouldn't worry too much about it. He will eventually get the hang of it.

I also feel that those standards are not necessarily going to be reached by all student since so many reach milestones at different times. If they recognize he has an issue in school the parents might be more motivated to help him after all we are just lowly daycare providers.

Tags
speech issues