Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Suggestions...
jenboo 09:52 AM 10-31-2013
So i have a dcf that i kind of want to get rid of. This is the family that didnt sign up with me until the night before i opened (one month ago) and decided to change their days. Previously, we didnt have an official schedule set, just what we talked about at the interview. When she finally signed up, I didnt know what to say...i was opening the next day and stressing out. She changed from 5 days to 3 days and decided that her baby was not going to come the 2 days she had originally said at the interview. I definitely learned my lesson from this family but now im stuck.
The dcg comes mon, tues, fri. I have spent the month I have been open trying to find someone for wed/thurs but its not happening. I cannot afford to only have dcg come 3 days a week. I need someone full time.

I dont know how to get out of this situation or if I just need to suck it up and learn from my mistakes.
momofboys 09:58 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
So i have a dcf that i kind of want to get rid of. This is the family that didnt sign up with me until the night before i opened (one month ago) and decided to change their days. Previously, we didnt have an official schedule set, just what we talked about at the interview. When she finally signed up, I didnt know what to say...i was opening the next day and stressing out. She changed from 5 days to 3 days and decided that her baby was not going to come the 2 days she had originally said at the interview. I definitely learned my lesson from this family but now im stuck.
The dcg comes mon, tues, fri. I have spent the month I have been open trying to find someone for wed/thurs but its not happening. I cannot afford to only have dcg come 3 days a week. I need someone full time.

I dont know how to get out of this situation or if I just need to suck it up and learn from my mistakes.
Let DCP you are not taking PT clients any longer - if they wish to continue with you they need to pay for a FT spot. Giving them this option puts the ball in their court.
MamaBearCanada 09:59 AM 10-31-2013
I wouldn't term until you have someone able to take the fulltime spot. For me some money is better than none. Would a switch to MWF help? Also, I charge more per day for part time than fulltime so that helps. Here fulltime pays the equivalent to $40/day and parttime $45/day. You could write a letter to mom explaining that she will get first refusal on a fulltime spot and that fulltime takes priority over parttime.
childcaremom 10:04 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
I wouldn't term until you have someone able to take the fulltime spot. For me some money is better than none. Would a switch to MWF help? Also, I charge more per day for part time than fulltime so that helps. Here fulltime pays the equivalent to $40/day and parttime $45/day. You could write a letter to mom explaining that she will get first refusal on a fulltime spot and that fulltime takes priority over parttime.
This is what I do.
jenboo 10:07 AM 10-31-2013
so how do i present this to her?
I get so nervous about this type of stuff.
Do i say that after a month of running my business I have decided to no longer accept part-time care unless you pay for the full-time spot ??
KIDZRMYBIZ 10:13 AM 10-31-2013
I had the same problem when I first started care, for a family member on my husband's side. I never could find someone for just 2 days a week. Ever. For 5 years. Everyone needed at least 3. All I could look at was the potential income I was losing!

So, I changed my definition of ft as 3 or more days/wk, and pt as 1 or 2 days. I've had 2 dcf's (one is still here) that pay the ft rate, and are happy to have the other 2 days to drop-off even though they aren't working to do whatever they want kid-free. *that deserves a but it's their choice*

I have a neat paragraph in my handbook about rates and slots that you would be welcome to use. Just PM me if you think you'd like it!
childcaremom 10:33 AM 10-31-2013
Whenever I address this sort of thing, I always stress that it's a business decision.

So:

In the best interest of my business, I am finding it necessary to make some amendments to my policies. While I do accept PT families, FT families are always given priority. While I will do my best to fill in the days around my PT families' schedules, there are times when I will be unable to do so. In the event that this is the case, and a FT family is interested in the space, I will offer you first choice at amending your PT contract to a FT one. If you choose not to, then your PT spot may be terminated to make room for the FT spot.

Or something along those lines. It gives you the option of keeping them, or not, and doesn't give you a set time frame to have to keep looking. I would def. start advertising and not let them go until you have someone to replace them with.

I send these amendments home periodically. I have been reopened for a year and sent home 3 already I always have my families sign these and return them and add them to their file. Never had a problem. Good luck!
jenboo 10:44 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I had the same problem when I first started care, for a family member on my husband's side. I never could find someone for just 2 days a week. Ever. For 5 years. Everyone needed at least 3. All I could look at was the potential income I was losing!

So, I changed my definition of ft as 3 or more days/wk, and pt as 1 or 2 days. I've had 2 dcf's (one is still here) that pay the ft rate, and are happy to have the other 2 days to drop-off even though they aren't working to do whatever they want kid-free. *that deserves a but it's their choice*

I have a neat paragraph in my handbook about rates and slots that you would be welcome to use. Just PM me if you think you'd like it!
Sent you a PM
jenboo 10:44 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by childcaremom:
Whenever I address this sort of thing, I always stress that it's a business decision.

So:

In the best interest of my business, I am finding it necessary to make some amendments to my policies. While I do accept PT families, FT families are always given priority. While I will do my best to fill in the days around my PT families' schedules, there are times when I will be unable to do so. In the event that this is the case, and a FT family is interested in the space, I will offer you first choice at amending your PT contract to a FT one. If you choose not to, then your PT spot may be terminated to make room for the FT spot.

Or something along those lines. It gives you the option of keeping them, or not, and doesn't give you a set time frame to have to keep looking. I would def. start advertising and not let them go until you have someone to replace them with.

I send these amendments home periodically. I have been reopened for a year and sent home 3 already I always have my families sign these and return them and add them to their file. Never had a problem. Good luck!
Thanks!! This is just what I needed
itlw8 12:11 PM 10-31-2013
I want you to practice these two lines over and over and USE them

I am sorry that won't work for me and the other one is Let me get back to you about that.
butterfly 12:14 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:

I am sorry that won't work for me and the other one is Let me get back to you about that.

jenboo 01:43 PM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:

haha. I will start right now!!!! Seriously, I need to be tough! I was very proud of myself when I charge my first late fee! I was so nervous!!
Unregistered 02:51 PM 10-31-2013
You are never "stuck "you can always term at will, without and explanation, this is you're business and the parent is a flake.
daycare 03:02 PM 10-31-2013
yes, you are never stuck...

here is what I have in my policies.....

Part Time Schedules: I understand that Full time families have priority over part time families. All part time schedules will be accommodated on a first come, first serve basis AFTER full time families have been scheduled. All part time families will be given an opportunity to fulfill a full time contract prior to new enrollment
Reply Up