Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Active Toddler
safechner 01:34 PM 09-10-2015
I am very curious if some of you have a very active toddlers in your daycare. How do you deal with it? I have a very active two year old son and I am planning to put him in a daycare within a few weeks for full time from7:30am to 2:30pm (I get off from work at 2pm) since I have a new job that I will be starting soon. I am a little worried if provider cannot deal with him. He is very good kid and love to play with kids. He is very good share with anyone. It will be his first time to be in daycare. I decided that I will be closed my daycare for good by next week due to burn out. It is time for me to move on so I can be there for my kids.

Thanks!
Play Care 01:55 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by safechner:
I am very curious if some of you have a very active toddlers in your daycare. How do you deal with it? I have a very active two year old son and I am planning to put him in a daycare within a few weeks for full time from7:30am to 2:30pm (I get off from work at 2pm) since I have a new job that I will be starting soon. I am a little worried if provider cannot deal with him. He is very good kid and love to play with kids. He is very good share with anyone. It will be his first time to be in daycare. I decided that I will be closed my daycare for good by next week due to burn out. It is time for me to move on so I can be there for my kids.

Thanks!
I would ask how they deal with active toddlers. Is the home/class well child-proofed (locks on cabinets, larger items secured to walls, etc) how much outside time will they have? This is key, lol. I have two 16 month olds in my care and we are outside for an hour or more each morning and about and hour every afternoon.
I sure you chose a great provider who has a good plan for the kids in her care
Congrats on the new job!
kristinhomedaycare 06:55 PM 09-10-2015
I agree with other poster. I would also ask how they deal with it. Everyone has had one or multiple. It's normal at 2. Hopefully they go outside, dance, yoga, have indoor slide/ or climber maybe, etc. It depends on what state you are in to how much outdoor time you can really get. I know here if we don't get out by 10 in the summer the equipment is waaaay too hot. And in the pm with humidity it is horrible. In the winter we get multiple below zero or 10, 15 degree days where you can't go outside. Hope they have both and indoor and outdoor strategy. I would imagine if it's not working out they will term.
pandamom 07:12 PM 09-10-2015
Ita wh what the others said. I work in a center. So I have up to fourteen two year olds with another caregiver. Outside time and or large motor activities are key. If we can't go outside because of heat, we spend time dancing, crawling, yoga, etc. the attention span of a toddler is very short so we have tons of different activities to do each day. An engaged toddler minimizes behavior we don't like to see 😬
Unregistered 08:22 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by pandamom:
Ita wh what the others said. I work in a center. So I have up to fourteen two year olds with another caregiver. Outside time and or large motor activities are key. If we can't go outside because of heat, we spend time dancing, crawling, yoga, etc. the attention span of a toddler is very short so we have tons of different activities to do each day. An engaged toddler minimizes behavior we don't like to see 😬

Totally agree!
safechner 01:35 PM 09-11-2015
Thank you so much for your advice. I have looked a few in home daycares for my son and I tried to choose two of home licensed daycares that have a lot of activities that will be perfect for my son's needs. I love both of them but one provider charges $200 a week for a two year old. In my area, I dont see providers charge that much for my son's ages. Most of providers charged $135 to $175 weeks in my area. Both of them have a great reviews. It is very hard to make a decision between them.

Thank you about my job. It was a big decision to make about my daycare ( I have been doing it for 14 years) but it is right thing to do for my kids who most needs me and me.
mommyneedsadayoff 01:42 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by safechner:

Thanks!
I am a bit confused here. You have your own daycare, but you are closing it work outside the house so you can be with your children or child more? I am srry if I am not reading it right, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me? I also do not mean to be insensitive, but when some says they have a very "active" two year old, I take that as a child who probably runs the house and has very limited boundaries (or at least, enforced boundaries). Again, I don't mean that to be offensive just my experience. "active" tend to mean out of control or wild in my experience and I just wonder why you are stopping daycare to spend more time with your kid, when it means he will be in daycare for 6+hours a day, versus home with you?

The reason I ask is because one of my close friends did daycare in her house for 6 years and then when her son was born, she decided to go back to work outside the home, because she said they needed more income. I ran into dad not long after and he said their income was fine, but there son was driving her nuts and she didn't want to deal with him 24/7 anymore. So, he went to daycare and mom ended up working at the school, making very little money. SO again, not trying to be insensitive, just wondering why you are working outside the home so you can be with your kids more...usually it is the opposite Agaain, no judgement, just questions!
melilley 02:45 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I am a bit confused here. You have your own daycare, but you are closing it work outside the house so you can be with your children or child more? I am srry if I am not reading it right, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me? I also do not mean to be insensitive, but when some says they have a very "active" two year old, I take that as a child who probably runs the house and has very limited boundaries (or at least, enforced boundaries). Again, I don't mean that to be offensive just my experience. "active" tend to mean out of control or wild in my experience and I just wonder why you are stopping daycare to spend more time with your kid, when it means he will be in daycare for 6+hours a day, versus home with you?

The reason I ask is because one of my close friends did daycare in her house for 6 years and then when her son was born, she decided to go back to work outside the home, because she said they needed more income. I ran into dad not long after and he said their income was fine, but there son was driving her nuts and she didn't want to deal with him 24/7 anymore. So, he went to daycare and mom ended up working at the school, making very little money. SO again, not trying to be insensitive, just wondering why you are working outside the home so you can be with your kids more...usually it is the opposite Agaain, no judgement, just questions!
I think she means to be with them more, mentally. Burnout can take a great toll on a person and can affect their family.
Reply Up