Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Age Question
countrymom 02:14 PM 12-09-2010
should a 5 yr old be able to put together a 25 piece puzzle (you know the dora big size ones) because today the dcb sat forever trying to figure it out and the other 5 yr old boy had literally no idea how to even put a puzzle together. Do you think thats weird, my kids have been puzzles together for since they were really little (the wooden ones first) when my kids were 5 they were doing those 1000 piece puzzles with us (now that reminds me, I need to buy one for christmas for them)
grandmom 02:18 PM 12-09-2010
I learned puzzles late, and still don't do well with them.

My daughter on the other hand used to do 100-pc puzzles in an hour. She was barely 2, and had no help. She has an incredible ability in spacial stuff.

Maybe this guy you mention has abilities in other areas. Keep giving him puzzles, just start with smaller ones. Then celebrate his success every time. He will need this skill soon in school. Maybe he's never done puzzles at home?
melissa ann 03:21 PM 12-09-2010
My son did those puzzles at age 2. A dcg just recently started doing those and she'll be 4 in Feb.
nannyde 03:39 PM 12-09-2010
How are you presenting the puzzles? Tell me exactly how you do it and I'll see if I can help. There's a technique to teaching them puzzles that works with all of my kids. They start puzzling at about 15 months or so.

By the time they are five they can usually do the 200 piece puzzles but that's with kids that have been here since birth. If I had a five year old that couldn't do them I would use the technique I use when I introduce them to the toddler 1's.

I don't have puzzles over 200 pieces so I don't know about the 1000 pieces.
countrymom 05:05 PM 12-09-2010
I should have noticed something was up when a couple of weeks ago another child knocked over my stack of wooden puzzles, it was amazing how the younger ones where putting them together quickly and he was puttsing around, really struggling. My dd happened to leave her puzzle out and he opened the box this morning (I assumed he knew what to do) so I let him figure it out.
Lucy 05:48 PM 12-09-2010
Some have aptitude for it, some don't. As Grandmom said, she still has troubles with puzzles. I don't think there's anything wrong with that unless he has troubles with other areas. He'll probably excel in something else that the rest have trouble with.
momofsix 07:24 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
How are you presenting the puzzles? Tell me exactly how you do it and I'll see if I can help. There's a technique to teaching them puzzles that works with all of my kids. They start puzzling at about 15 months or so.

By the time they are five they can usually do the 200 piece puzzles but that's with kids that have been here since birth. If I had a five year old that couldn't do them I would use the technique I use when I introduce them to the toddler 1's.

I don't have puzzles over 200 pieces so I don't know about the 1000 pieces.
I'd love to hear it! I don't have any technique's at all for puzzles other than putting the easy ones out when they're little and showing them how they work, then gradually advancing the difficulty!
SilverSabre25 08:29 PM 12-09-2010
I'd say, normally, yes, a 5 yo should be able to do a 25 piece puzzle.

I'm guessing it's a combination of lack of exposure and possibly lack of spatial awareness. How is he with things like shape sorters?

You could try sitting down with simple wooden ones (the ones that have a different spot for each piece) and see what he does with those, talking him through it if necessary. Then when he's proficient with those, offer the wooden ones that have a "scene" to put together but only a few pieces. Again, helping and explaining if necessary. Then puzzles with more pieces. Then the cardboard kind, etc, etc.

Nanny, I'm curious about your technique as well. My 3 yo is good with the simple puzzles but is having trouble making the leap to the more complex ones. It doesn't help that she has a low frustration threshold.
Abigail 08:55 PM 12-09-2010
Do you have 12 piece puzzles to start with? Do they show a picture of the end result? I've never seen a child do a 100 or 200 piece puzzle and I know I certainly wouldn't want to do one either I enjoy the 25-50 piece puzzles just fine. I don't have anything really over 25 pieces right now.
melskids 02:11 AM 12-10-2010
i couldnt and wouldnt want to EVER do a puzzle...lol i just dont have the patience because i am not very good at them.

my hubby and my son however, can pick up a piece and put it EXACTLY where it belongs. EVERY TIME. it really amazes me...

i would give him other activites that use spatial awareness, and see how well he does with those. then you'll know if he either needs help in that area, or if he just doesnt like to do puzzles.
nannyde 03:21 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
I'd love to hear it! I don't have any technique's at all for puzzles other than putting the easy ones out when they're little and showing them how they work, then gradually advancing the difficulty!
Yes that's the premise but there are a lot of tricks you can do along the way.

My goal with puzzles is to get them to the point where they can do it without adult involvement at each level until they move to the next level. Not only DO the puzzle but BEHAVE when they are doing it. Settle down enough to commit to it and get it done.

I will photograph our puzzles and show you guys how we do it in steps.

It will take me a few days to do it. It will be easier to show you then to explain it all. I will post them on a page on my website and then link them because we don't get much room on here for pics.
countrymom 07:04 AM 12-10-2010
thanks nannyde, I know that there is no exposure to puzzles in either of these boys houses. Its sad because both boys are struggling in school, I try and expose them to all the things my kids were exposed too so school wouldn't be a struggle, but like dh said last night, it takes time and effort to spend with your kids. Both boys watch way to much tv and I mean way too much, I don't understand how hard it would be to have things set out for them to do. this drives me nuts.
SilverSabre25 07:06 AM 12-10-2010
Thanks Nanny! "Doing it without adult involvement" is my goal with everything.
nannyde 07:12 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thanks Nanny! "Doing it without adult involvement" is my goal with everything.
It's a bit of work upfront but it PAAAAAYYYYYS once they are mid three.
melissa ann 02:45 PM 12-12-2010
A dcb that I had until the end of aug (will be 5 tomorrow) could not do 24 pc puzzles. He did the board ones but that's it. He also had other issues. Didn't know his abc's, counting or numbers, and made no effort to learn to write. But he gets no help at home.
momofsix 03:02 PM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Yes that's the premise but there are a lot of tricks you can do along the way.

My goal with puzzles is to get them to the point where they can do it without adult involvement at each level until they move to the next level. Not only DO the puzzle but BEHAVE when they are doing it. Settle down enough to commit to it and get it done.

I will photograph our puzzles and show you guys how we do it in steps.

It will take me a few days to do it. It will be easier to show you then to explain it all. I will post them on a page on my website and then link them because we don't get much room on here for pics.
Thank you...I'm looking forward to it!
DCMomOf3 05:39 PM 12-12-2010
I start with the wood puzzles that have separate pieces (6-8) with handles first, before a year old. Then Upgrade to the cardboard puzzles that have the piece shapes indented in the bottom of the frame. Then to the 24 piece and beyond. My 3yo ds can do the 24 piece alone, and I'm trying to give him the courage to tackle a bigger one. My PS DCKs though give up too soon on the cardboard ones still though, so I just hope it "clicks" sooner than later. My 1 yo toddlers are all just now getting good at the ones with the handles, so in a few weeks/months I'll try them on the cardboard ones but I'm stalling trying to get my ps DCKs to master them first.
DCMomOf3 05:41 PM 12-12-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
thanks nannyde, I know that there is no exposure to puzzles in either of these boys houses. Its sad because both boys are struggling in school, I try and expose them to all the things my kids were exposed too so school wouldn't be a struggle, but like dh said last night, it takes time and effort to spend with your kids. Both boys watch way to much tv and I mean way too much, I don't understand how hard it would be to have things set out for them to do. this drives me nuts.
I see this with so many things, it's sad.
Tags:age appropriate, puzzles
Reply Up