Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Post on DC FB Page
lovemykidstoo 07:31 AM 11-25-2017
When you post on your daycare facebook page wishing everyone a happy Thanksgiving and that you appreciate all of your families and you can see that 13 people read it and only one person "liked" it.
Josiegirl 07:47 AM 11-25-2017
I loathe FB so much. I have an account but hardly ever look at it. Don't put much into it, I never check likes either. Maybe people are too busy?
midaycare 08:26 AM 11-25-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I loathe FB so much. I have an account but hardly ever look at it. Don't put much into it, I never check likes either. Maybe people are too busy?
Don't put any stock in fb posts and likes. People are weird!
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 11-25-2017
I don’t understand the point of liking a post.

If I agree with someone’s point of view, I guess I would say that agree but if I “like” it, I don’t see the benefit to myself or the poster (other than knowing we agree... lol!)

In all honesty I see even less sense in liking a post that wishes others Happy (whatever the occasion)!

I don’t mean this rudely to you (or anyone else) but to me “likes” are a form of validation and I see no sense in validating a good tiding kwim?

I don’t know, I probably have a very different view of FB “etiquette” than others do but I will admit, I do not understand a lot of it....

I’m sorry you didn’t receive the responses you were hoping for though.
Ariana 09:45 AM 11-25-2017
To me a “like” is both an agreement and an acknowledgment. So if someone posted “baby girl arrived 7am this morning” I would hit “like” as an acknowledgement. If someone said “I hate Christmas traffic” I would hit “like” in agreement.

Either way I think it is rude to not acknowledge that someone said something. If I went into a room and said “Happy Thanksgiving everyone” and everyone looked at me and then returned to doing whatever they were doing wouldn’t that be rude? I think so!
Ariana 09:45 AM 11-25-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Don't put any stock in fb posts and likes. People are weird!
And also this . I am so over daycare families.
lovemykidstoo 12:51 PM 11-25-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
To me a “like” is both an agreement and an acknowledgment. So if someone posted “baby girl arrived 7am this morning” I would hit “like” as an acknowledgement. If someone said “I hate Christmas traffic” I would hit “like” in agreement.

Either way I think it is rude to not acknowledge that someone said something. If I went into a room and said “Happy Thanksgiving everyone” and everyone looked at me and then returned to doing whatever they were doing wouldn’t that be rude? I think so!
This was my thought. I just thought it was rude not to say Happy Thanksgiving back or something similar.
ColorfulSunburst 01:28 PM 11-25-2017
are you sure that the all 13 people who have read your post are your customers?
lovemykidstoo 01:37 PM 11-25-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
are you sure that the all 13 people who have read your post are your customers?
Yea, it's a private FB page and it says "seen by" and their names.
Unregistered 06:29 PM 11-25-2017
Oh lord. If this is expected I am the rudest person alive. It's facebook, it's not like you actually told the individual and they didn't respond. Personally if I expected each individual to provide some type of response I would have said "Happy Thanksgiving" to each individual.
-misplacedMidwestmom (with phone issues)
Lil_Diddle 08:57 PM 11-25-2017
I made the same post on our daycare fb page, only two responded. But honestly, it did not bother me. But I do have to say I love on the private fb page that it shows who has seen my post. I'm just waiting for the day a DCP says, "oh I had no idea......" and I can say, well it was in the newsletter as well as on our fb page, I see that you did see that post.
CalCare 09:20 AM 11-26-2017
Oh, I definitely wouldn't read anything into it if I were you. I rarely "like" or respond to anything on FB. I mainly use Facebook for marketing my childcare. That and the childcare group chat. All my friends do the birthdays and the "hashtag blessed" stuff lol I rarely reply to much of it. Unless something is actually really amusing or interesting. I would have to reply to 20 or more "Happy Thanksgiving" posts if I were to reply to them. It just seems silly. Because then the next day it's 20 "Black Friday, Everyone!" And then it's everyone's "I'm Thankful for..." And then it's "Small Business Saturday" and then it's "Cyber Monday" by then it's someone else's birthday and the next day it's "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" and on and on day after day lol I just cruise through.
CeriBear 12:12 PM 11-26-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I’m glad I’m not the only one who loathes Facebook. I used to have an account and almost never posted there but a few months ago I deleted my page. I got tired of seeing all my friends posting silly selfies and telling me what they ate for dinner.
midaycare 12:46 PM 11-26-2017
Originally Posted by CeridwenLynne:
I’m glad I’m not the only one who loathes Facebook. I used to have an account and almost never posted there but a few months ago I deleted my page. I got tired of seeing all my friends posting silly selfies and telling me what they ate for dinner.
You mean...you don't care if a friend several states away ate a burger? But...what if they cooked it themselves? What if they were at a restaurant? Don't you NEED to KNOW?
ColorfulSunburst 05:06 PM 11-26-2017
You mean...you don't care if a friend several states away ate a burger? But...what if they cooked it themselves? What if they were at a restaurant? Don't you NEED to KNOW?

I reply only to messages that are addressed to me personally.
lovemykidstoo 05:59 PM 11-26-2017
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:

I reply only to messages that are addressed to me personally.
lol I crack up at my niece. She puts every life event on FB and I mean every life event.

This post was on my private daycare fb page. So like 13 or 14 people are on it so it was directed at just those select few and said I was thankful for them. So it was a bit different than putting it on my regular fb that has 200 or 300 people on it, but I get the jist that it's really not a big deal.
CeriBear 04:25 AM 11-27-2017
And if they ate it cooked medium-well with fries as a side while their hubby ate his still mooing.
midaycare 05:43 AM 11-27-2017
And if they ate it cooked medium-well with fries as a side while their hubby ate his still mooing.
And what type of beer?!?! I have a friend, bless his heart, who needs to share almost every meal and include what type of beer. Then my dieting friends...Ugh. Pics of Shakeology. Pics of keto recipes. Pics of vegan recipes.

I must know a lot of foodies
MarinaVanessa 07:59 AM 11-27-2017
In FB if you scroll down the feed any posts you scroll by show that people "saw" it. People don't always read what others post, they just scroll through the hundreds of posts looking for something that pops out at them or that looks interesting.

It's FB, not a personal greeting. Social Media is very informal and very much different than saying something in person to someone. I bet that if you told those 13 people that "saw" the post that you wished them a Happy Thanksgiving that they wouldn't ignore you and everyone would wish you a Happy Thanksgiving in return.
Cat Herder 08:17 AM 11-27-2017
I get it.

I often post 50ish photos of a DCK's Birthday party that I planned, decorated and generally went over the top for only to have them be ignored by the parents of that child. All. The.Time.

Per one of my current DCM's: They don't want their friends, co-workers or family to see the photos. If they click on them, it shows in their feed. It is hard for them to get away with blaming everything negative that happens with their child on their daycare provider if people see those photos.

I post them, anyway. It is still good advertising when the other clients click on them.
CityGarden 09:15 AM 11-27-2017
Personally I see FB as a good marketing tool but not the best way to interact with parents. I use a Shutterfly Site (which is private) and love that I can document our days there. Parents can see it (or not) it has calendar alerts and reminder, sign up list for parties, etc. It also makes it easy to do an end of year scrapbook for the families.
Ariana 11:17 AM 11-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I get it.

I often post 50ish photos of a DCK's Birthday party that I planned, decorated and generally went over the top for only to have them be ignored by the parents of that child. All. The.Time.

Per one of my current DCM's: They don't want their friends, co-workers or family to see the photos. If they click on them, it shows in their feed. It is hard for them to get away with blaming everything negative that happens with their child on their daycare provider if people see those photos.

I post them, anyway. It is still good advertising when the other clients click on them.
In a private group that doesn’t happen. They can like freely without it going to their newsfeed .
Ariana 11:21 AM 11-27-2017
Originally Posted by CalCare:
Oh, I definitely wouldn't read anything into it if I were you. I rarely "like" or respond to anything on FB. I mainly use Facebook for marketing my childcare. That and the childcare group chat. All my friends do the birthdays and the "hashtag blessed" stuff lol I rarely reply to much of it. Unless something is actually really amusing or interesting. I would have to reply to 20 or more "Happy Thanksgiving" posts if I were to reply to them. It just seems silly. Because then the next day it's 20 "Black Friday, Everyone!" And then it's everyone's "I'm Thankful for..." And then it's "Small Business Saturday" and then it's "Cyber Monday" by then it's someone else's birthday and the next day it's "HAPPY NEW YEAR!" and on and on day after day lol I just cruise through.
It seems silly to respond to the person who cares for your child every day? I think there is a difference between that and what you’re describing. I am also on Twitter and you know the crap that is on there! I ignore 99% of it except when my daughters teachers post something. I go out of my way to acknowledge it.

Clearly I am in the minority!
Cat Herder 11:21 AM 11-27-2017
In a private group that doesn’t happen. They can like freely without it going to their newsfeed .
I know. Mine is not a private group. Just a normal FB page.

It is too old to change it now.
Mom2Two 11:32 AM 11-27-2017
I wouldn't read too much into it. With all the stuff that people have going on during Thanksgiving, they are probably just tuning daycare and work out as blissfully as we tune them out during breaks.

After all, for most dcparents, dropping kids off and then getting them home for dinner off is part of their work life, which they probably want to forget about for a few days.

They are clients, not family.
lovemykidstoo 06:52 PM 11-27-2017
It seems silly to respond to the person who cares for your child every day? I think there is a difference between that and what you’re describing. I am also on Twitter and you know the crap that is on there! I ignore 99% of it except when my daughters teachers post something. I go out of my way to acknowledge it.

I feel the same. This was a private fb page specifically for my dc families. There are only 13 to 14 of them and I said happy thanksgiving and how I was thankful for them. I think it's so different than a regular fb page post. For them not to even say anything at all I thought was a rude thing, but then again the child I have for 50 hours a week and they live right down the road, once again I see daddy home at 4:00 and doesn't pick him up until after 5:00, so why should I be surprised. That's the mentality I'm working with.
AmyKidsCo 08:22 PM 11-27-2017

I see it as more of an agreement, not necessarily an acknowledgement. For instance, if someone is ranting and I don't agree I won't like the post, even to acknowledge that I read it.

However, in your case it would've been polite for them to reply Happy Thanksgiving to you also.

In any case you're a step ahead of me - I didn't post any Thanksgiving greeting on my business or personal FB pages.
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 11-28-2017

On the flip side, I'd feel a bit offended that I wasn't told face to face verses on social media.

For example my BIL's birthday was a few weeks before mine. I bought him a card, put some money inside and told him Happy Birthday when I saw him.

When my birthday came, I got a text at 8PM saying "Happy Birthday".
It felt cold and insincere. Almost like an after thought.

As I said previously, I don't understand alot about FB but wishing someone good tidings for anything feel best (to me) when said directly to the recipient. When posted on social media MY personal thoughts are that they didn't care enough to say it TO me.

OP~ I am NOT saing you were wrong in posting anything.... Whatever works for each person..... it's not my place to say.
I am just sharing my personal perspective.
Ariana 09:53 AM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
On the flip side, I'd feel a bit offended that I wasn't told face to face verses on social media.

For example my BIL's birthday was a few weeks before mine. I bought him a card, put some money inside and told him Happy Birthday when I saw him.

As I said previously, I don't understand alot about FB but wishing someone good tidings for anything feel best (to me) when said directly to the recipient. When posted on social media MY personal thoughts are that they didn't care enough to say it TO me. )
I agree! Some people replace personal sentiments with FB nowadays and I am not a fan for sure. An aquaintance who lives far away, sure but not close family.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 11-28-2017
RIGHT! What is with selfies? I have like 20 pictures of my grandmother, and kids born today will have 20,000+ selfies and sexy poses of grandma, AND know what she ate for lunch on 9/17/12. (gag me)

Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I get it.

That's awful.

This is me. I only create a twitter to follow my kids teachers, and EVERYTHING they post, every photo of my kid gets a 'like' as an acknowledgement.

In this case, and a private page, I would most definitely say Happy Thanksgiving and that my family was thankful for you, too. (which I did, to 12+ teachers on twitter. To my son's HORROR, even the one he doesn't like)
lovemykidstoo 10:25 AM 11-28-2017

As I said previously, I don't understand alot about FB but wishing someone good tidings for anything feel best (to me) when said directly to the recipient. When posted on social media MY personal thoughts are that they didn't care enough to say it TO me.

OP~ I am NOT saing you were wrong in posting anything.... Whatever works for each person..... it's not my place to say.
I'm not sure if you're speaking indirectly or to my situation, but of course I told everyone when they picked up their child on Wednesday to have a wonderful Thanksgiving and we did Thanksgiving crafts etc.

the birthday thing gets me too. My husband does that with his nephews and nieces. He'll post on FB or text or something like that and I'm like "get on the phone right now and CALL them!" Hate that!
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 11-28-2017
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm not sure if you're speaking indirectly or to my situation, but of course I told everyone when they picked up their child on Wednesday to have a wonderful Thanksgiving and we did Thanksgiving crafts etc.

the birthday thing gets me too. My husband does that with his nephews and nieces. He'll post on FB or text or something like that and I'm like "get on the phone right now and CALL them!" Hate that!
Nope, not at all. Like I said ^^ whatever works for each person. My comment was more about a different perspective. There are lots of ways to do things and there is never one right or wrong way.
mommyneedsadayoff 11:57 AM 11-28-2017

Nope! I agree with you. I do think that it depends upon the people you're talking too though. For people I know who are on Facebook and actually participate, like post things, like things, Etc, then I expect a response back from those people. The people who I know are on there but don't actually "like" or post or anything...I don't really expect a response back from them. I feel like they they are lurkers and prefer to stay quiet.

Well I think that we can all choose to participate or not, we are in a new time and place. I speak to my long distance family members on the phone a handful of times each year, but I "love" and "like" every post they have so that they know I'm here for them (and also bc they're usually my little nieces and nephew so I think they're adorable).
There's a lot wrong with Facebook, but there can be good if you choose to look at it in that light. I don't think you have to like people's posts, but when it comes to personal relationships, like the person who watches your kid for 50 plus hours a week, your grandma, ect, it takes less than 2 seconds to acknowledge it or even comment in reciprocation of a post directed at you. I kind of find it rude.
Tags:facebook posts
Reply Up