Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Upset Mother
JennyBoo 08:27 AM 03-05-2010
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site, and I was excited to find this so I could have like minded people's advice. I was hoping to hear what you all had to say about this situation:

I have been in child care for 7 years now, 5 of which in a licensed daycare and 2 years of providing care in my home. I am sure most of you have contracts, handbooks and papers for all your families to sign right?

Yesterday I had a child vomit on me at the end of the day 2 times, and informed the Mom at pickup, that since my policy is 24 hours symptom free (which she signed) that the child could not return today. This would ensure that if she is contagious that no other child would be in contact with anything as well as me so I could continue to provide excellent care.

I am pretty sure that this is the same policy in any childcare facility, in hopes of keeping everyone else healthy. I think it is just common sense!

The mother ignored me, felt her child's forehead and said "Oh you look okay sweetie, we will see how you are in the morning" (meaning today). The mother kept saying "Oh she has never been sick" and "Well, if she is fine tonight she can come back."

I reminded her about the policy, and that it is the same for every family and that I will not risk anything.

She stood there and said some choice words, and a big "Whatever" in my face. I just kept telling her that this is what I have to insist on. I stayed calm and professional through it all, and when she was walking out the door, I asked her to call me and just let me know how the child was later on and she said "What is the F*****G point when I can't bring her back." very rudely and walked away muttering to herself to the car.

I am just so shocked that she would be like this about her sick daughter and not want to keep her home to get her feeling well. The best part is that she is on Maternity leave right now and is home all day anyway, so the Mom would not even have to call in sick at her work.

I have not heard anything from her today, and it is payday. Any thoughts about whether I should hound her for payment or wait and see if someone comes at the end of the day with it? The families know it is payday every Friday and it is their responsibility to get it here regardless.

I guess what I am asking is your thoughts about this situation, has anyone ever had something similar? Should I talk to her about her rudeness and that I do not deserve it? Would this be grounds for termination is anyone's eyes? What would your next step be?

Any help is appreciated, I ask because this is one situation I have never come across with any family. I just thought that if a child is sick, the Mom would understand and want to do anything to get them well again.

Thanks All So Much!
Pammie 09:54 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by JennyBoo:
<snip>I just thought that if a child is sick, the Mom would understand and want to do anything to get them well again.
Oh my! In a perfect world, maybe? I have/had too many parents that a sick child is simply an inconvenience to their lives

I think that you did the right thing by sticking to your health guidelines - and the admirable thing of maintaining your composure (after being vomited on twice) while dealing with a ranting parent!!

I wouldn't hound them for payment - if Friday at closing is your pay-deadline, I'd give them till then to show up with your payment. I personally never "remind" parents about when my fees are due - they're all adults and know. And depending on your contract, and your feelings about keeping this parent as a client - either enforce your late-fees, or use it as grounds to terminate??

good luck in whatever you decide to do!!
Hugs
Pammie
momma2girls 09:58 AM 03-05-2010
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site, and I was excited to find this so I could have like minded people's advice. I was hoping to hear what you all had to say about this situation:

I have been in child care for 7 years now, 5 of which in a licensed daycare and 2 years of providing care in my home. I am sure most of you have contracts, handbooks and papers for all your families to sign right?

Yesterday I had a child vomit on me at the end of the day 2 times, and informed the Mom at pickup, that since my policy is 24 hours symptom free (which she signed) that the child could not return today. This would ensure that if she is contagious that no other child would be in contact with anything as well as me so I could continue to provide excellent care.

I am pretty sure that this is the same policy in any childcare facility, in hopes of keeping everyone else healthy. I think it is just common sense!

The mother ignored me, felt her child's forehead and said "Oh you look okay sweetie, we will see how you are in the morning" (meaning today). The mother kept saying "Oh she has never been sick" and "Well, if she is fine tonight she can come back."

I reminded her about the policy, and that it is the same for every family and that I will not risk anything.

She stood there and said some choice words, and a big "Whatever" in my face. I just kept telling her that this is what I have to insist on. I stayed calm and professional through it all, and when she was walking out the door, I asked her to call me and just let me know how the child was later on and she said "What is the F*****G point when I can't bring her back." very rudely and walked away muttering to herself to the car.

I am just so shocked that she would be like this about her sick daughter and not want to keep her home to get her feeling well. The best part is that she is on Maternity leave right now and is home all day anyway, so the Mom would not even have to call in sick at her work.

I have not heard anything from her today, and it is payday. Any thoughts about whether I should hound her for payment or wait and see if someone comes at the end of the day with it? The families know it is payday every Friday and it is their responsibility to get it here regardless.

I guess what I am asking is your thoughts about this situation, has anyone ever had something similar? Should I talk to her about her rudeness and that I do not deserve it? Would this be grounds for termination is anyone's eyes? What would your next step be?

Any help is appreciated, I ask because this is one situation I have never come across with any family. I just thought that if a child is sick, the Mom would understand and want to do anything to get them well again.

Thanks All So Much!
Good luck with this one!! I guess if anyone talked to me in my house and daycare like that, they would be done!!
I changed my payday to Mondays at the start of the week, instead of Fridays about 3 yrs. ago. It is so nice getting paid before the week, in case anything like this happens.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:02 AM 03-05-2010
wow,.. I cant imagine any of my parents talking like that to me,.. I wouldnt insist payment today, I mean, they know the policy,.. they shouldnt have to be reminded like a 2 yr old going potty. .. but would charge late fees if not paid today. Also,.. after I got paid I would give notice. I would give notice stating something like,..,...

Ms Cursing parent;

Due to the lack of professionalism and respect you displayed upon leaving my home on xx/xx/2010 , provider is terminating contract effective xx/xx/2010. As per contract Ms Cursing Parent is responsible for childcare fees for the termination period whether or not child is brought for care.

Thank you,..

happy provider

I would attach the part of her contract where she agreed to and signed about the term policy. When she confronts you,.. and you kow she will somehow,.. just remind her that you are not someone who can be talked to like that. You demand respect and if she isnt giving it you will get someone from your waiting list who will. Then add something like,.. maybe you should think before cursing like that in front of your provider, about a policy designed to keep children healthy.
JennyBoo 10:06 AM 03-05-2010
Thank you all for your advice and replies. I have been in so many situations in the childcare field, but none of which made me feel so upset and disrespected especially in my own home. I am a Professional giving a professional service and deserve to be treated that way. I was just floored a parent would act this way over their sick child, but again it takes all kinds!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 10:12 AM 03-05-2010
I am just amazed at how rude whe was to you! Personally I wouldn't even want her to come back if she has a mouth like that and it's VERY disrepectful to go against your policy...how can a parent do that?

We have a health plan that that our state wrote out for us...I am almost positive it has in there that the child has to be vomit free for 24 hours before they can return..I will have to double check but I'm certain that's how it is....that's the rule for school so I don't think it's any different for us providers. And that is what I tell all my parents, if they are throwing up they have to be done with it for at least 24 hours.

If I had a parent ignore me like that and talk back at me like that, sorry, they are not welcome here. That is just plain rude!! Sounds like by her poor attitude, she might not come back to pay you. I hope she does pay but she doesn't seem to have any respect..you might have to fight for what she owes you or just let her go and be done with it. It really stinks, but I have had a young mom stiff me years ago. Very frustrating. Good luck with it, you are definitely in the right and the mom is in the wrong.
tenderhearts 11:15 AM 03-05-2010
Wow I can't believe how she was acting and in front of her child??? Plus I'm sure if the tables were reveresed she probablly wouldn't want her child around someone who was sick. Here in my state, it is state regulation to call the parent if the child throws up in care and must be free of it for 24 hours before returning (and much more), so if your state has something like that I'd show it to her and tell her that it's not only your policy but it's state regulations. good luck I'd probablly terminate if I could, but I know it's hard to do that especially if you need the money. I don't expect payment if they call in sick but it's due immediatley upon return to daycare.
ghostlykisses 06:00 PM 03-06-2010
I am not sure how calm I would have been in that case. I hate it when people swear in front of kids. I probably would have told her that the way she was speaking to me was rude and her language was not acceptable in a daycare home.

As for payment...well you did say her child was not allowed to come to care the next day. She probably thought she was making a wise butt statement by not showing up with payment. Good times!
Persephone 09:20 PM 03-06-2010
I agree that you done the right thing.

I'm wondering if she showed up with payment today? If not if you have it in you handbook, I'd charge your late fee.

I would be up to you if you want to ask her not to come back. Have you had any other problems with this family?
JennyBoo 02:13 PM 03-07-2010
Persephone - yes the husband actually showed up with the payment at around 9:00 p.m. that evening and I did ask for late fees as it was 4 hours late and I was not even notified that he was coming at that late time. He came the door, and actually threw the cheque to me and said "This is yours" and walked away. It was complete rudeness all over again. This family is always causing me small problems (not bringing diapers on time, picking up late etc) so I will have some major decisions to make this upcoming week. I believe all of us who have a home daycare work very hard and just want to be respected.
Persephone 04:13 PM 03-07-2010
Persephone - yes the husband actually showed up with the payment at around 9:00 p.m. that evening and I did ask for late fees as it was 4 hours late and I was not even notified that he was coming at that late time. He came the door, and actually threw the cheque to me and said "This is yours" and walked away. It was complete rudeness all over again. This family is always causing me small problems (not bringing diapers on time, picking up late etc) so I will have some major decisions to make this upcoming week. I believe all of us who have a home daycare work very hard and just want to be respected.
Wow! I can't believe that he threw it at you! That's totally rude!
Pammie 04:15 PM 03-07-2010
Oh my goodness!!
After being treated horribly by the mom, and being thrown a check at by the dad, they would be terminated immediately! No way they would ever be welcome into my home again!!
momma2girls 04:46 PM 03-07-2010
I totally agree!!! I wonder how this week will go for you with them. Keep us posted!!
momofboys 04:50 PM 03-07-2010
I'm sorry! What a headache! Seriously, are they in junior high? I'd be tempted to terminate them on the spot for that behavior!
Daycare Mommy 06:38 PM 03-07-2010
I agree with the other posters. That's total disrespect from both parents when you have done absolutely nothing to either of them. I'd hand them their 2 weeks notice tomorrow morning if it were me. Whatever you are being paid by them can't be enough to have to deal with that nonsense. Here's a quote by another provider in a yahoo group I saved from years ago that sums this up nicely:

"My time, sanity, and personal self-worth are more valuable to me than keeping clients who think they can treat me like dirt..."
momma2girls 07:14 PM 03-07-2010
Originally Posted by daycare mommy:
i agree with the other posters. That's total disrespect from both parents when you have done absolutely nothing to either of them. I'd hand them their 2 weeks notice tomorrow morning if it were me. Whatever you are being paid by them can't be enough to have to deal with that nonsense. Here's a quote by another provider in a yahoo group i saved from years ago that sums this up nicely:

"my time, sanity, and personal self-worth are more valuable to me than keeping clients who think they can treat me like dirt..."
very well said!!!!!
JennyBoo 06:58 AM 03-08-2010
Hi Everyone:

Oh thank you all for your supprt - Daycare Mommy - that quote is wonderful and I have already tucked a printed copy away and will always remember it.

Well this morning, it was such a circus. The door rang one hour before I even open and it was the Grandma - no Mom or Dad dropping the child off. I kindly told her that I do not open for another hour, that no one was here and obviously she could see I was still in my pyjamas. She says " I was told to bring her to daycare today and I have to get to work." Well, guess what? I shut the door on her, and walked away. I am sorry, but the family knows this - it was 6 am for crying out loud!

Pick up should be a shock, as I have my letter ready and I am officially done with this family. So much disrespect in three days is enough. I want to maintain my professionalism, but at this point I have several famliies on my waiting list and have already called one this morning. I know the space will be filled.

I will keep you all updated about how giving her the letter goes tonight as I am sure it will be interesting. I guess the best thing I can do is look ahead, laugh and stop worrying as this is nonsense.

Thanks everyone you are great - so happy I found this forum!

Have a great day!
Persephone 07:10 AM 03-08-2010
Hi Everyone:

Oh thank you all for your supprt - Daycare Mommy - that quote is wonderful and I have already tucked a printed copy away and will always remember it.

Well this morning, it was such a circus. The door rang one hour before I even open and it was the Grandma - no Mom or Dad dropping the child off. I kindly told her that I do not open for another hour, that no one was here and obviously she could see I was still in my pyjamas. She says " I was told to bring her to daycare today and I have to get to work." Well, guess what? I shut the door on her, and walked away. I am sorry, but the family knows this - it was 6 am for crying out loud!

Pick up should be a shock, as I have my letter ready and I am officially done with this family. So much disrespect in three days is enough. I want to maintain my professionalism, but at this point I have several famliies on my waiting list and have already called one this morning. I know the space will be filled.

I will keep you all updated about how giving her the letter goes tonight as I am sure it will be interesting. I guess the best thing I can do is look ahead, laugh and stop worrying as this is nonsense.

Thanks everyone you are great - so happy I found this forum!

Have a great day!
Wow! I can't believe they sent G'ma to drop off! So did G'ma come back an hour later to drop off, I'm guessing, since you have a letter for them.

Good for you for sticking to your guns and not letting her drop off earlier then you open.

I'd stop worrying, I'd say after closing the door on g'ma they might not want to come back anyways!

I'd love to have seen the look on that ladies face when you closed the door! LOL Priceless I'm sure!
JennyBoo 07:14 AM 03-08-2010
Ha Ha - priceless it was. I am sitting here laughing. Her face was hilarious. And yes Grandma did come back at 7 am on the dot and basically put the child down, no goodbye and walked away. That made me sad, but I scooped up the child and comforted her and she was as happy as a clam.
momofboys 07:25 AM 03-08-2010
Ha Ha - priceless it was. I am sitting here laughing. Her face was hilarious. And yes Grandma did come back at 7 am on the dot and basically put the child down, no goodbye and walked away. That made me sad, but I scooped up the child and comforted her and she was as happy as a clam.
Wow, I'd love to see what you write out to them as your termination letter if you don't mind sharing. I can't believe the lever of disrespect they have shown you.
MarinaVanessa 08:50 AM 03-08-2010
Me too, I'd like to see what points you made in the letter. When grandma dropped off the first time was she rude too? It just amazes me when people are rude and feel entitled to do so. I'm not only talking about daycares but all work fields in general. It peeves me to think that people think that because they are paying someone for services that they think that they can dictate terms to you and have the right to be blatantly rude. It is disrespectful and dissapointing and completely unnecessary and inapropriate. What ever happened to having a civil conversation and communicating with each other?

Please let us know how it works out. Good luck to you.
AfterSchoolMom 09:26 AM 03-08-2010
I'm dying to know how this turns out. Good for you for sticking to your guns and not allowing her to drop off this morning! The complete lack of respect that some people have is shocking to me sometimes. You are being incredibly professional throughout all of this, just for the fact that you haven't stooped to their level and cursed them out - I'd be hard pressed to keep my temper in a similar situation!
missnikki 08:21 AM 03-12-2010
What ended up happening?
Childminder 08:26 AM 03-12-2010
"My time, sanity, and personal self-worth are more valuable to me than keeping clients who think they can treat me like dirt..."[/quote]

Cut your losses and get away from them FAST. Trouble with a capital T.
SimpleMom 08:34 AM 03-12-2010
I am so sorry you've had to deal with this! I had a parent like that once. Put up with a lot, but when it got to sassy talk to me AND in front of my other families/children I terminated the contract that day.

It's so hard to do sometimes, but if it's not done, those type of parent will never have a consequence to their actions and possibly do it again to another provider.

So, I completely understand and KUDOS to you. You were very professional about it and that's so important (and so hard) to do
momofboys 08:49 AM 03-12-2010
I'm curious as to what happened! Did you end up terminating them & if so what did you say?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:35 PM 03-12-2010
I am just shocked and in disbelief that those parents, both mom and dad, can be so rude to the one that takes care of their precious child, and has the nerve to come back and leave their child after being so rude.

I'm so glad you did the right thing..don't let anyone walk all over you. The whole family seems disrespectful.
Tags:behavior, drop off, illness policy, late fee, payment, terminate, upset parent
Reply Up