Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Name Our Squirrel
Brooksie 04:26 PM 08-05-2013
We put bird seed out to be able to observe the different birds that come to eat it. We currently have blue jays, finches and even doves. We also have attracted a few squirrels. A few weeks ago I noticed a squirrel having a snack on our porch and I saw that his back left leg had a very large wound on the lower bone. When I got closer to the front door to get a look at him he slowly tried to make his way away from me, lifting his back leg high above his hip and hobbling away. I watched him slowly make his way across the drive way and he climbed up the big tree on the other side, in my neighbors yard. I felt so badly for him and I wanted to help. Obviously there isn't much I can do for him so we just make sure the food bowl is always full in case he can re visit.

Well 3 weeks later I see him multiple times a day. The visible wound is healing but you can still see the fresh skin growing over it. He still walks with his back leg above his hip but is much faster than the first day I saw him, although compared to a healthy squirrel he is still much more limited. And considering how close he lives (neighbors tree) and the multiple times a day we see him on the porch, I really think we are providing him a way to survive with his limitations. I'm fairly certain the bone was broken, I don't know how he obtained his injury, and I'm still hoping that eventually he will make a full recovery but again, he stays close to home and puts no weight on his leg.

Any way, we've been watching him every day, but I want a better way to identify him to the kids, other than the squirrel with the boo boo leg. So does any one have an idea of a name for this little guy? I try not to make wild animals seem like pets but he has a special story to us.
Meeko 05:03 PM 08-05-2013
I'm a life-long Beatrix Potter fan. Squirrel Nutkin is one of my favorite characters.
Scout 05:31 PM 08-05-2013
DS has been calling them all Jumpy from Curious George.
Starburst 07:26 PM 08-05-2013
How about 'Sandy' (like the squirrel from SpongeBob), its also gender natural name or Cheeky or Cheeks.
You can also call him 'Merle the Squirrel' if its a boy or 'Shirley Squirrely' if its a girl.
AfterSchoolMom 07:38 PM 08-05-2013
Tiny Tim.
Lyss 07:42 PM 08-05-2013
Rocky!! (As in rocky and bullwinkle )
Nutty
O'squirrelly
Doc McSquirrelly

SilverSabre25 09:12 PM 08-05-2013
wild animals I'm fond of default to Fred for some reason.
Familycare71 09:16 PM 08-05-2013
I had a baby squirrel we nursed back to health and his name was George! As in: I will love him and squeeze him and name him George!
He was amazing- I still miss him but did end up finding a rehabilitator that released him...
Starburst 09:26 PM 08-05-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
wild animals I'm fond of default to Fred for some reason.
I used to do that with the name Bob- I would call everyone and everything that. One time a friend of mine found a dog and she wanted to keep it and name it Malibu but I kept jokingly saying he looks like a Bob. She realized he had a collar (but no tags or name/numbers), and he most likely had a family. So we went outside and just waited for a while in her moms driveway because it was in the afternoon when people are off from work/school and we figured the dog lived near by and someone might be trying to look for him. Then we see a woman drive by and she stops the car, runs up to the dog with her arms open to hug him and happily shouts "BOB!"
Brooksie 04:38 AM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I used to do that with the name Bob- I would call everyone and everything that. One time a friend of mine found a dog and she wanted to keep it and name it Malibu but I kept jokingly saying he looks like a Bob. She realized he had a collar (but no tags or name/numbers), and he most likely had a family. So we went outside and just waited for a while in her moms driveway because it was in the afternoon when people are off from work/school and we figured the dog lived near by and someone might be trying to look for him. Then we see a woman drive by and she stops the car, runs up to the dog with her arms open to hug him and happily shouts "BOB!"
That is too funny!
MotherNature 06:04 PM 08-06-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
DS has been calling them all Jumpy from Curious George.
I was going to say the exact same thing.
Luna 04:14 AM 08-07-2013
Booboo
Tags:pet names
Reply Up