Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default 4 y/o with speech issues

I have a dcb4 who is not up to par with speech, by a long shot. For example, he says "Me want, Me like, me not know... Etc." and also words like "wah wah" for water. I correct him every time he says something incorrectly (which is pretty much any sentence out of his mouth). I have him repeat the best he can, the correct way to say it and he does every time. So he is trying! It's just frustrating when I think about him going to kindergarten in the fall. I have never had a speech therapist to the daycare, which I know of a few instances where they have worked with children in a daycare in my area. How can I bring up my concerns to the parents, without freaking them out? I might add that he is an only child as well and I don't think that the dcp correct at home (obviously). He is also only here 2 days a week!
Old 04-10-2015, 01:11 PM
Unregistered

Look up a kindergarten readiness checklist and act like you do this with every dck going to kg.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Unregistered

I would ask the mom if she has noticed it. "I am hearing dcb do this, have you noticed it? Are you concerned?" If she's not, you can give some information on what typical year olds talk like and suggest, since he's getting close to kindergarten, that she connect with the school district. If his speech is significantly delayed, they would provide services at no cost to the family.

Tags
speech issues