Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Behaviors you term for
spedmommy4 05:24 PM 08-27-2015
I am strongly considering terminating care for a child over behavior. The behavior isn't hurting anyone but keeping this kid safe basically consumed my whole day today. (Removing dcb from furniture, shelves, etc)

So I am wondering, what behaviors you all consider terming for?
Thriftylady 06:11 PM 08-27-2015
Is it something that could cause a liability to your or your business? Meaning could something happen that could cause you to loose your license or business or be sued over? If so term the sooner the better.
Blackcat31 06:19 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I am strongly considering terminating care for a child over behavior. The behavior isn't hurting anyone but keeping this kid safe basically consumed my whole day today. (Removing dcb from furniture, shelves, etc)

So I am wondering, what behaviors you all consider terming for?
I would term for any persistent and/or unmanageable behaviors that cause harm to myself, my family, other daycare kids or the child themselves.

This includes both physical and emotional behaviors.

Sometimes, its just not the right fit.
spedmommy4 06:32 PM 08-27-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Is it something that could cause a liability to your or your business? Meaning could something happen that could cause you to loose your license or business or be sued over? If so term the sooner the better.
Possibly. He has special needs. His receptive language skills are low so he doesn't have a good understanding of what I want. I'm a licensed special education teacher so I am using positive behavior supports and visuals but they aren't helping.

Today, I was low. I had 6 kids by myself. I spent the entire morning engaged with him. I removed him from furniture over and over and over. He ran at top speed and knocked over a two year old twice.

The parents have made the referral to special education and I think that's best but it's taking forever. He needs a special education placement, or a nanny.
Febby 06:32 PM 08-27-2015
In the (good) centers I've been in, children could be terminated for behaviors that posed a safety risk for other children, staff, or to themselves. Constantly having to remove a child from a shelf (or other furniture) DOES create a safety risk for everyone because the child could fall and hurt themselves, another child, or you if you don't happen to be close enough to intervene quickly enough.
childcaremom 01:55 AM 08-28-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would term for any persistent and/or unmanageable behaviors that cause harm to myself, my family, other daycare kids or the child themselves.

This includes both physical and emotional behaviors.

Sometimes, its just not the right fit.

If a child is no longer/not responding to my disciplining techniques, I consider it not to be a good fit and will term. I don't have a list of specific behaviours, but do have low tolerance for aggression, language and defiance.

It is hard when you have one child who demands all your time and energy when it is a group of children that you have to care for. I look at an overall picture of how much time I spend with just this one child and the issue vs the group. Parents are always in the know and I do give it a time frame to see improvement. If I can't correct the balance, I will term.

The two terms I have had over behaviour issues were (1) aggression (running full tilt at another child, twice, to knock them over. Specifically targetting this one child with their aggression repeatedly. Not responding to any of my disciplining techniques. (2) Not responding to various disciplining techniques. Resulted to damage to my home, repeatedly trying to leave my property and/or get to areas of my home that are out of bounds (I had to lead this child everywhere). Final straw was mass disruption at nap time. Consistently.

I do think that some children are not cut out for group care. I also think that some children are not suited for my environment. I think children need to be in a setting that is positive for them. Whether that means a solo caregiver, a smaller/larger group, more adult attention (in other words, more adults available for supervision), etc. And that is how I frame it for the parents when I term.
Tags:behavior, safety, terminating care
Reply Up