Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG so Loud
mamamanda 04:39 AM 10-21-2015
Dcg 20 mo is a sweetheart, but everything she says comes out so loud. She comes in at 6:20 and my children are often still asleep. She typically wakes them up within a few minutes b/c she yells everything. She doesn't mean to be yelling. She just gets excited. I try to read to her thinking that's a quiet activity, but when I point to a page and whisper "lion" she points and screams, "lion!" and then laughs loudly. It is so frustrating when I'm not really ready to be up yet. haha Any suggestions, or just deal with it.
Play Care 05:25 AM 10-21-2015
Are you open at that time or is this a special opening just for this family?

If this is a special opening just for this one dcf, I would probably make a bigger point of keeping dcg quiet. Things like having lights off, keeping the room darker, speaking in whispers, etc. If the child is quiet while eating, I might even have a small snack or even serve them breakfast at that time. I would not use television because often that doesn't work and it's not a habit I would want to get into.

If you are open that early, then I would try to get some white noise or something sound blocking in your kid's rooms. I would continue to work with the child on using inside/quiet voice because that is an important skill. But generally I think if you say you are "open" at such and such hour then you need to be prepared for "kid noise."
It's the main reason I refuse to open before 7:30
spedmommy4 05:50 AM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

If this is a special opening just for this one dcf, I would probably make a bigger point of keeping dcg quiet. Things like having lights off, keeping the room darker, speaking in whispers, etc. If the child is quiet while eating, I might even have a small snack or even serve them breakfast at that time. I would not use television because often that doesn't work and it's not a habit I would want to get into.

If you are open that early, then I would try to get some white noise or something sound blocking in your kid's rooms. I would continue to work with the child on using inside/quiet voice because that is an important skill. But generally I think if you say you are "open" at such and such hour then you need to be prepared for "kid noise."
This is perfect. Since the little one is 20 months, it's going to take lots of repetition for it to sink in. I've noticed that some kids (and adults) are just naturally just a little on the loud side.

Quiet/loud voice and where to use them is still excellent to practice but it may also be that she is always going to be a little louder than the other kids.
mommyneedsadayoff 06:04 AM 10-21-2015
If she gets there at 6:20, I would put her back to bed for another hour or until 7 at the earliest, especially since she is only 20 months. This way she rests or sleeps and wakes up for breakfast and the beginning of the day. If you have a separate room for her to sleep, that would work much better than having her in the main living area. My dcb comes at 5:15 and has his own room, so he goes right back to bed and usually sleeps till 8 or 9. Depending on how far away you are, she may be haing to get up at 5:30 or earlier and who knows what time she goes to bed, so putting her back to bed will mean she can last longer through the day till everyone naps after lunch and she won't be exhausted and wanting to nap at 10 am instead.
KayB 07:01 AM 10-21-2015
Is she loud all day? If so, how is her hearing? Any signs of hearing loss?
mamamanda 08:24 AM 10-21-2015
I do open early just for her so that's why its so frustrating. I don't technically open until 8:00 & my next dck doesn't arrive until 8:30 so its 2 hours that my kids could technically be sleeping. I do put my kids down at 7:30 & 8:00, but I feel they both need about 12 hours of sleep at night to function well and it keeps getting interrupted. I don't want to put them down any earlier b/c they would miss out on spending any time with their dad in the evening. Dcg does seem tired. I could try laying her back down. She is fairly quiet while she's eating. She is loud like that most of the time. Sometimes just randomly screaming for no reason. Then she laughs about it. She doesn't seem to have a hearing problem. I've wondered about that, but I talk to her in whispers sometimes just to encourage the quiet behavior, but she always understands what I say...and responds with a yelling answer. I do keep lights dim, tv off, surroundings quiet, etc. And my children have white noise going in their rooms, but the scream gets them every time.
daycarediva 08:57 AM 10-21-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

Some kids are just naturally loud. Dcg/4 that just left was so loud it was bordering on obnoxious. They had her hearing checked (at my suggestion). Her laugh made other kids cover their ears. She was also SUPER high pitched. It was like nails on a chalkboard for my dh. I had gotten used to it and didn't realize how bad it was until she left.
Unregistered 09:31 AM 10-21-2015
My hubby is the loud one, I'm the quiet one lol. He just gets excited and it rattles my nerves hahahaha
Unregistered 09:31 AM 10-21-2015
I would put a fan on by your kids bedrooms. Have the dcg watch TV or color, read until you open.
BabyMonkeys 09:51 AM 10-21-2015
I have a 16m old that does the same thing. His volume only has one level and it is LOUD. He is the perfect child other than that, and his parents are great, but boy....

(I am super sensitive to noise. I do believe I chose the wrong profession!)
kitykids3 06:45 PM 10-21-2015
I have a 23 month old that is like that right now. I spend time practicing using quiet and loud voices with her like a game, when I don't need her to be quiet. Then when I do, I can tell her and she will imitate the whisper voice. Some are just unfortunately louder. I would try putting her back down to sleep for a while and using white noise for your kids in the morning.
Tags:loud child
Reply Up