Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sending Handbook Before Interview?
Kindermom 03:41 AM 02-13-2018
Do you ever give your handbook before an interview?

I am currently messaging back and forth with a potential new family. Last night, after asking me a few questions, DCM was all excited to meet and set up a tour. She had already asked me how many children I watch and my rates earlier in our conversation.

This morning, I woke up to a message with a list of questions, which may have been copied and pasted, and are the usual "first time parent" questions- which I find nothing wrong with, but a few of which I have already answered. Many of them are questions regarding my policies.

Would you just send your handbook to them? On one hand, I don't want to waste anybody's time if it isn't a good fit, but on the other hand, I don't think they get a good feel for me (or me for them) and they don't get to see my space, etc.

However, I don't want to come off as not willing to answer, etc. and mention a tour/interview for the third time.

How would you handle that?
amberrose3dg 03:46 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Kindermom:
Do you ever give your handbook before an interview?

I am currently messaging back and forth with a potential new family. Last night, after asking me a few questions, DCM was all excited to meet and set up a tour. She had already asked me how many children I watch and my rates earlier in our conversation.

This morning, I woke up to a message with a list of questions, which may have been copied and pasted, and are the usual "first time parent" questions- which I find nothing wrong with, but a few of which I have already answered. Many of them are questions regarding my policies.

Would you just send your handbook to them? On one hand, I don't want to waste anybody's time if it isn't a good fit, but on the other hand, I don't think they get a good feel for me (or me for them) and they don't get to see my space, etc.

However, I don't want to come off as not willing to answer, etc. and mention a tour/interview for the third time.

How would you handle that?
I have, it saves on wasted time. If the parent has issues with my policies or time off it makes no sense to interview. I do not negotiate on my policies and if they still do the interview sometimes they think they can talk you into letting some of the policies slip. I honestly think it is a good practice to be familiar saves headaches down the road, even for enrolled families.
bklsmum 03:48 AM 02-13-2018
I send mine before hand! Them agreeing to my policies is WAY more important than them falling in love with my space IMO.
Josiegirl 03:54 AM 02-13-2018
I do too, or at least try to. That way, any questions that crop up due to the handbook of policies, can also be asked. Lots of times the written words need to be clarified.
Kindermom 04:02 AM 02-13-2018
Thank you for all the great replies.

Let this be a PSA regarding the power of coffee....I haven't had my coffee yet and just realized I was reading a first message from someone else inquiring about care, lol. They have similar first names though. Oh boy. I hope it's not one of "those" days. At least it's not a Monday!

Have a great Tuesday, everyone!
Ariana 05:08 AM 02-13-2018
I always answer a few standard questions and then I set up the interview by saying “I would like to set up a time to meet so I can answer any further questions you might have and you can get a feel for how my program runs”. I never send my policies out anymore until I have met people face to face.
Blackcat31 06:16 AM 02-13-2018
I don't send my handbook until I am fairly certain I am accepting the family.

The questions they are wanting to know will be addressed during the tour/interview since that is the point of the tour/interview.

I e-mail them a parent questionnaire before meeting and ask that they answer and return before our scheduled tour/interview time.

I e-mail a link to Google Drive for my handbook AFTER the interview. I actually e-mail all paperwork and don't print anything myself.
MarinaVanessa 06:28 AM 02-13-2018
I don't send my handbook or contract until they have come to the tour and I think that they'd be a good fit. After the first contact (whether by phone or email) I schedule the tour and I go through the policies during this time. If they still look interested and if I like them then I offer to email them the parent packet including my contract and handbook so they can read them over at home.
Kindermom 06:42 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't send my handbook or contract until they have come to the tour and I think that they'd be a good fit. After the first contact (whether by phone or email) I schedule the tour and I go through the policies during this time. If they still look interested and if I like them then I offer to email them the parent packet including my contract and handbook so they can read them over at home.
For those that do not send until after interviewing, can I ask why? I am not sure how I want to handle these things going forward and I am curious on the pros and cons of sending before vs after interview.
Kindermom 06:44 AM 02-13-2018
Sorry, I don't know how to double quote. But, for those of you that do not send until after interviewing, can I ask why? I am asking because I am not sure how I want to handle these things and am curious as to pros and cons of sending before vs after.
MarinaVanessa 07:15 AM 02-13-2018
For me a couple of reasons:
1 - I don't feel like someone gets a good feel for me personally or my daycare until they come and see me/my daycare. If you read my policies it has a bunch of "we don't do this" but you don't get to see all of the "we do this" until you get here.
2 - Policies can feel overbearing for some clients if they read them from a page but if I go over them and explain the "why" then it makes sense to them. They might read "no toys from home" and think it may be excessive but if I'm able to explain "toys from home are special for that child and are very interesting to the others. This can create friction for everyone at daycare including me and personal belongings sometimes get broken or lost" and then they understand it better. An explanation drives the message home vs reading a line on a page.
3- It could be another provider fishing for my contract and policies so that they can copy it. It has happened to me and I've had to ask them to stop using mine and make their own. Yes, that really happens. I've also had someone copy my website wording as well ... word for word. So I don't email it out until I've met them in person.
MarinaVanessa 07:22 AM 02-13-2018
ETA:
4 - people sometimes read the policies on paper and don't understand them correctly. I go over it with them in person so that I can explain and so that they don't misinterpret the rules which can sometimes turn someone off or cause problems later. A "no fever over 100 degrees policy will guarantee that a parent still interprets that as "it's ok if my baby is teething and has a fever" but that's not how I work. A fever is a fever in my daycare. I also have info there about what we do in the day and that I am play-based. Some parents are more interested in a "scholastic" approach so if they read that then they may be turned off, if I explain that we learn the same things that a child learns in a daycare center except that I control the curriculum and that we do everything through play and fun then they understand better and aren't as likely to just write me off.
LysesKids 07:22 AM 02-13-2018
are listed on my website... I don't schedule an interview until a parent reads thru them, I don't want to waste time interviewing if they don't agree. They have to contact me thru the contact page after reviewing handbook
LysesKids 07:24 AM 02-13-2018
Sorry, I don't know how to double quote. But, for those of you that do not send until after interviewing, can I ask why? I am asking because I am not sure how I want to handle these things and am curious as to pros and cons of sending before vs after.
Oh I know this well... not so worried about the policies; it's the contract I don't list online... I don't even let it out of my my home for this reason
Kindermom 07:32 AM 02-13-2018
For me a couple of reasons:
1 - I don't feel like someone gets a good feel for me personally or my daycare until they come and see me/my daycare. If you read my policies it has a bunch of "we don't do this" but you don't get to see all of the "we do this" until you get here.
2 - Policies can feel overbearing for some clients if they read them from a page but if I go over them and explain the "why" then it makes sense to them. They might read "no toys from home" and think it may be excessive but if I'm able to explain "toys from home are special for that child and are very interesting to the others. This can create friction for everyone at daycare including me and personal belongings sometimes get broken or lost" and then they understand it better. An explanation drives the message home vs reading a line on a page.
3- It could be another provider fishing for my contract and policies so that they can copy it. It has happened to me and I've had to ask them to stop using mine and make their own. Yes, that really happens. I've also had someone copy my website wording as well ... word for word. So I don't email it out until I've met them in person.
This makes a lot of sense, and I have that same concern about some of these things. However, I did send it to her already before thinking things over and I wish I would have just set up an interview first, but at the same time, I agree that if someone isn't going to follow my policies or agree to the way I run things, that it is a waste of time to go further. That being said- it has been sent, and I am of course worried now that i haven't heard back, but in reality, it's only been about an hour, lol. Should I follow up or wait and see what she has to say?
Kindermom 07:33 AM 02-13-2018
ETA:
4 - people sometimes read the policies on paper and don't understand them correctly. I go over it with them in person so that I can explain and so that they don't misinterpret the rules which can sometimes turn someone off or cause problems later. A "no fever over 100 degrees policy will guarantee that a parent still interprets that as "it's ok if my baby is teething and has a fever" but that's not how I work. A fever is a fever in my daycare. I also have info there about what we do in the day and that I am play-based. Some parents are more interested in a "scholastic" approach so if they read that then they may be turned off, if I explain that we learn the same things that a child learns in a daycare center except that I control the curriculum and that we do everything through play and fun then they understand better and aren't as likely to just write me off.

What do you say when someone emails you a list of questions, which are all covered in your handbook? Something like "These are all topics I cover in my tour and handbook?" and schedule from there?
storybookending 07:49 AM 02-13-2018
I do not have a handbook as of yet. It is supposed to be my 2018 project but I just don’t feel it is necessary yet for me personally as I have removed my number from all state referral websites and only enroll clients that I know personally or through word of mouth from someone that I know. I live in a small community so this works for me right now. My situation might be unique in this regard and not how a lot of you here are able to do things. I have seen members that will not enroll people they know personally and those that live hours away from family and friends. I love how at the end of the day we all do the same things but in such different ways.

I do have about 4 pages in contract form that highlight what I feel to be important things but not with so much detail. When it comes to word of mouth referrals I like to talk with them on the phone first and ask questions about the type of care and hours they are expecting to need first. If what they say will fit with what I have available I send the contract for them to read through and then after that set up tour if they are okay with what is listed. I won’t bend on my policies no matter the relationship I have with the person. I don’t want to waste time on families that won’t fit.
LysesKids 07:51 AM 02-13-2018
What do you say when someone emails you a list of questions, which are all covered in your handbook? Something like "These are all topics I cover in my tour and handbook?" and schedule from there?
It tells me they didn't read it & I skip them lol... everyone that signs with me, tell me that I literally cover everything possible & I get very few questions because they are onboard.
Ariana 08:17 AM 02-13-2018
I used to send my policies to anyone who inquired. It backfired for me because more often than not they would not book a tour. My policies are strict and unless you have met me you would probably get the feeling that I am not a caring person. Also without seeing my space personallh and seeing my program all you have is a bunch of rules. When I book a tour and can answer questions and go over my rules face to face I can explan why I have the illness policies, why I take a two week deposit and how it fits in the type of program I run. I am a professional. Not every person ends up signing on with me (usually because they want 10 hours of care but don’t want to pay for it) but most do so this is how it works for me.

I also want to avoid giving my policies willy nilly to anyone who inquires about a space. It could be another provider and I have worked very hard on my handbook so unless I like you and want to sign you up you won’t get it!
Snowmom 08:17 AM 02-13-2018
90% of the time, I email a PDF copy to people before the interview.
I make a point to tell them it goes into depth about my procedures and policies. It covers everything from sick days, vacation time, holidays, potty training and discipline. It can answer most questions people have about how I approach most situations that may arise. It IS the nitty gritty of daycare life here. While it can seem a bit overwhelming, it is one of the best resources for parents and they should review this before the interview.

I don't mind if I come across as a bit of a stickler, because I am! I also find the handbook shows people how organized and structured I am. If they are looking for someone more relaxed and no-nonsense, then I am definitely NOT the right choice for them and the handbook will likely tell them that!

At the same time, I also invite them to view my blog, which is protected, so they need an invite to log in. It goes back nearly 10 years, so it gives a more personal viewpoint of life here.
Ariana 08:21 AM 02-13-2018
I also wanted to add that the best thing you can do is have a trial period in your contract. I have signed on clients that said they loved my policies or I thought they were an awesome fit, only to find out they were crazy! You can never ever tell how someone is going to behave until they are enrolled and actually have to follow your policies. Some parents love the sickness policies for example until it is their kid that has to be excluded for a week
MarinaVanessa 08:53 AM 02-13-2018
In general I will answer any questions that they have even if I know that we will cover them in the tour. I do suggest that they email me questions and let them know that I'm busy during the day and have a busy schedule when it comes to my kids so I won't be able to answer them until nap or in the evenings. But I do answer their questions. Typically they're general questions like hours, rate, schedule etc but sometimes I do get more in-depth questions and I just cover them. I still go over them again during the tour anyway because I have a bulleted list of things to cover (a list of my policies from my handbook) and then it just get reinforced.

I do have my handbook and contract posted on my website, I should say that too. But I find that most people don't get that far. My initial contact whether it's through email or by phone covers my "deal-breakers" which are my rates, my hours, my pets, transportation, immunizations, medication policy and sick policy. These I want to cover up front because these are my "pet peeves".
BrynleeJean 08:57 AM 02-13-2018
id probably send it, not as a habit in all cases, she just wants to be proactive about what she is signing up for which is more than most who don't even read it and just sign it.

It probably say something like
"these are just the guidelines for the daycare, how its run, very basic rules, the tour will give you more insight into our routine, curriculum, meals, activities, the environment and that sort of thing" or something like that. good luck!
Blackcat31 09:01 AM 02-13-2018
For those that do not send until after interviewing, can I ask why? I am not sure how I want to handle these things going forward and I am curious on the pros and cons of sending before vs after interview.
It's just too much work
I get 4-8 inquiries a day asking about possible enrollment and I just don't have the time to e-mail my handbook out to all of them. Plus like a PP said, people read and don't interpret it the way it was intended etc so it's easier if I just go over the handbook with them during the interview.

They can get a feel for who/what my program is by perusing my website. The handbook is just written rules/polices that support my basic philosophies and state licensing rules/regulations.

If a potential family sends me a list of questions before the interview/tour I would tell them all their questions will be addressed during the interview/tour (since that is the point of the interview/tour IMHO) but if any of their questions were a red flag to me or needed a response immediately I would certainly answer the best I could as my goal (as I am sure is theirs as well) is to not waste anyone's time if it's clear the family is not a good fit for my program.

Hope that helps.
LittleScholars 09:03 AM 02-13-2018
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I don't mind if I come across as a bit of a stickler, because I am! I also find the handbook shows people how organized and structured I am. If they are looking for someone more relaxed and no-nonsense, then I am definitely NOT the right choice for them and the handbook will likely tell them that!
I'm in this camp also. My handbook is on my website, which is pretty hard to find (I haven't felt the need to upgrade to a more searchable option yet). Many parents don't look at it in advance, but I have two interviews this week and both moms have a lot of questions. I direct them to my handbook because I want them to see the type of business I run and find the EXACT policy that answers their question. Generally, this has worked out well, but in the cases it has not I'm grateful that it did not.
Unregistered 02:40 PM 02-13-2018
I always send mine the day before. I’m not interested in families who would be “turned off” by any of my Policies. They are not negotiable. All of my families have said that they appreciate how thorough my Policies are and were glad to see the thought put into them.

I also don’t really care if another provider uses my information. Writing policies can be intimidating for a lot of people, so if I can help another provider, happy to do so!
Tags:handbook, interview
Reply Up