Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:56 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Question Tax Status Of Family Child Care In A California Rental Home?

In California, a licensed small family child care (for up to 6 kids) in a rental home is considered residential- not business- use of the property. So if that's a fact, then

- Can the licensed small family child care in a California rental home be registered as an LLC?
- If not, can the child care provider's income be taxed as business income (e.g. can the rent etc. be deducted from income taxes)?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
In California, a licensed small family child care (for up to 6 kids) in a rental home is considered residential- not business- use of the property. So if that's a fact, then

- Can the licensed small family child care in a California rental home be registered as an LLC?
- If not, can the child care provider's income be taxed as business income (e.g. can the rent etc. be deducted from income taxes)?
Not sure about the LLC, but on Federal taxes (not sure about cali state taxes) the rent etc can be deducted on a time/space percentage. This would include utilities used in the daycare, and such. There are special federal forms for this called business use of the home. There are several that go together. In my experience, states go by federal income, so it would carry down to state. But I think California has their own rules lol.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:32 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
There are special federal forms for this called business use of the home.
Ah, but this is exactly the crux of the issue. According to zoning laws, our child care will be a residential- not business- use of the home.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Ah, but this is exactly the crux of the issue. According to zoning laws, our child care will be a residential- not business- use of the home.
I am not sure that matters. Hopefully Tom will chime in soon. He is the expert.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:20 AM

Here is a great article about whether or not you should become an LLC or not

http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...mpany-llc.html

Here is the link to Tom Copelands blog. TONS of great info! Book mark the site as you will reference it often.

http://tomcopelandblog.typepad.com/t...ds-taking-car/
Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default tax status

Quote:

Establishing an LLC has nothing to do with whether or not the provider is living. So, yes, a provider can set up an LLC in a rental home.

Rent is always deductible.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:57 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Thanks, Tom!
If possible, I'd like to buy one of (your?) e-books that explicitly mentions what you just wrote. Which e-book would you recommend?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:33 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default books

Quote:
Thanks, Tom!
If possible, I'd like to buy one of (your?) e-books that explicitly mentions what you just wrote. Which e-book would you recommend?
Only two of my books are available as e-books: Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide and Family Child Care Contracts & Policies.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Tom,
Sorry that I wasn't clear. I appreciate your free advice, but now would like to pay some money to get a more substantial advice. I could ask a lawyer, but I prefer to buy a book first on this subject. Can you recommend one that explicitly deals with the issue of running an LLC from a rental home in California?
Old 05-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Didn't even need to respond, Sergio
Good luck!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:43 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default rental

Quote:
Tom,
Sorry that I wasn't clear. I appreciate your free advice, but now would like to pay some money to get a more substantial advice. I could ask a lawyer, but I prefer to buy a book first on this subject. Can you recommend one that explicitly deals with the issue of running an LLC from a rental home in California?
Nolo Press from California has published a lot of legal books. Check them out.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:08 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Tom, you're too modest!
Will this book have all the information I need?
http://www.redleafpress.org/Family-C...book-P919.aspx
Old 05-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default legal help

Quote:
Tom, you're too modest!
Will this book have all the information I need?
http://www.redleafpress.org/Family-C...book-P919.aspx
My book will help explain the differences between the various forms of business structures but it's not a substitute for legal advice that can help you understand the particular rules in your state.