Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Obsessed with GERMS
originalkat 10:08 AM 06-08-2010
Okay, I have had this family for almost a year. The mom is kind of picky/particular about things, but I usually dont mind because I tend to be like that as well with my own kids so I understand.

She is an involved parent and donates things for special parties and is very generous.

BUT!!!!!
Recently she has been asking me so many questions about germs and handwashing. She brings it up at least once per week if not more. She is worried about her daughter touching the toilet seat when she goes to the bathroom. I told her that all the kids have to hold onto the seat to balance as they get on the toilet and that they wash with soap and water afterwards.
We have discussed when and how we wash hands as well on SEVERAL occassions.

This morning she asked me to rinse the top of her sippy cup (that she brings from home each morning)because they dropped it outside. She asks me to do this every once in awhile. I have no problem doing it. So after I rinsed it and dried it and gave it back to the dcg the mom says, "So you rinsed it off really well?"
EXCUSE ME BUT I AM CAPABLE OF RINSING A CUP WITHOUT YOU MICROMANAGING MY ACTIONS!!!

I am fed up with her asking so many REPEATED questions about the same things I have already addressed with her. Her comment this morning ticked my off (The straw that broke the camels back) and I am ready to confront her about it this evening.
Her child is not ever sick and has rarely even had a runny nose in the past year they have been here. My home is very clean and uncluttered as well. What is her problem???
Am I overreacting? How would you handle this situation?
Janet 10:22 AM 06-08-2010
Just explain to her that you understand her concerns, and that you assure that the children wash their hands, etc. Also, assure her that you clean your bathroom thoroughly and you sanitize the toys. Give her a rundown of everything that you do to keep your home clean. I'll bet it's more than she does in her own home! I'm actually the germ-obsessed person in my home, so I teach my kids how to wash their hands "nurse style" lol. I also have 2 wall mounted touch free hand sanitizer dispensors in my daycare area.
originalkat 12:54 PM 06-08-2010
So the DC Mom called me at naptime and apologized for her comment this morning and about her germ phobia. It was a wonderful, friendly, open and relaxed conversation. AWESOME ending to a frustrating situation!!
momma2girls 01:14 PM 06-08-2010
I had a daycare parent obsesses and I mean obsessed with SIDS!! SHe wanted me to have him sleeping right next to me at all times!!! She had a monitor on him at all naptimes at home, that alarmed if he even moved, then another alarm, if he rolled over, and another one if he stopped breathing!!! WOWW!!!!!! Way too much for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She would ak me everyday, so where did he sleep today, for how long, etc. etc. I finally told her enough with the questions- he is 5 months old, he sleeps in the same place everyday, and sleeps pretty much the same times everyday!!!! If it is anything different I will tell you!!! Let me tell you she was obsessed with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She called me one day- and said today would be his last day!!! YEAH!!!!! I did really miss the little boy though!!!! GOod luck wherever he was going!!!!
jen 04:10 PM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
So the DC Mom called me at naptime and apologized for her comment this morning and about her germ phobia. It was a wonderful, friendly, open and relaxed conversation. AWESOME ending to a frustrating situation!!
Awsome! Nice to hear a happy ending!!!
Tags:germs
Reply Up