Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Locked Door or Unlocked Door, That is the Question
sierrastreasures 10:06 AM 07-20-2010
This should be quick, in the past I always left my door opened so the parents would have the freedom of coming in whenever they stopped by. This changed while I was in the back yard with my little ones. We had just come in after having a wonderful time in the pool. I ran out of towels so I ran upstairs to retrieve one and low and behold there was a man standing in the middle of my livingroom entering my kitchen. I stopped dead in my tracks and said "may I help you?" I was shocked when he bolted for the door saying "sorry wrong house". Never again will I leave the door unlocked.

Today one of my DCMs left the front door unlocked while exiting. I wasn't expecting my next DCB for another hour and went to work preparing breakfast. About 15 minutes later I heard the front door open and panicked. It was DCBs father walking down to the daycare so I sighed a breath of relief.

I don't know about you but I feel very uncomfortable with parents just opening my door and walking in. I know his is a business but it's my home as well. I would never go to their home nor when my daughter spent the night over a friends house would I just walk right in because she was in their house so what gives them the right to just walk into my house as well.

I can't get it through to one mom and dad who insist on just opening the door and just walking in. I have dropped subtle hints yet today the mom and dad don't even knock they just turn the knob just to see if it's open then just walk in without knocking if the door has been left unlocked.

Can someone give me a suggestion tell tell them how much I resent this? They consistently break the rules as far as paying on time with me having to ask them so I need something firm but polite please.
Thanks!
Rox
momma2girls 10:20 AM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by sierrastreasures:
This should be quick, in the past I always left my door opened so the parents would have the freedom of coming in whenever they stopped by. This changed while I was in the back yard with my little ones. We had just come in after having a wonderful time in the pool. I ran out of towels so I ran upstairs to retrieve one and low and behold there was a man standing in the middle of my livingroom entering my kitchen. I stopped dead in my tracks and said "may I help you?" I was shocked when he bolted for the door saying "sorry wrong house". Never again will I leave the door unlocked.

Today one of my DCMs left the front door unlocked while exiting. I wasn't expecting my next DCB for another hour and went to work preparing breakfast. About 15 minutes later I heard the front door open and panicked. It was DCBs father walking down to the daycare so I sighed a breath of relief.

I don't know about you but I feel very uncomfortable with parents just opening my door and walking in. I know his is a business but it's my home as well. I would never go to their home nor when my daughter spent the night over a friends house would I just walk right in because she was in their house so what gives them the right to just walk into my house as well.

I can't get it through to one mom and dad who insist on just opening the door and just walking in. I have dropped subtle hints yet today the mom and dad don't even knock they just turn the knob just to see if it's open then just walk in without knocking if the door has been left unlocked.

Can someone give me a suggestion tell tell them how much I resent this? They consistently break the rules as far as paying on time with me having to ask them so I need something firm but polite please.
Thanks!
Rox
I have had several parents in the years of doing daycare, that just walk right on in and have scared me to death!! I have my door locked and they need to knock, otherwise if I forget to lock it, they all know to knock before entering, some just don't always remember to do it!! I will place little reminders in my monthly reminders to please knock at my door, before entering. IN many cases, my house will be locked. Last yr. I even added this into my contract, but some over looked it, or don't really care to knock!! It drives me nuts as well!! Let alone anyone can just walk right in form outside!!
Daycare Mommy 10:45 AM 07-20-2010
I'd let them know they scared you and say that you didn't hear them knock. If they say they didn't knock, you just ask them to knock in the future. I don't usually talk about it. I just keep my doors locked and that solves that.

There was a post recently about doorknobs that you can set to lock, but the inside handle still turns freely and opens even when locked to outsiders so you don't have to unlock and then remember to re-lock every time you open and close it. Good daycare investment IMO.
Janet 10:46 AM 07-20-2010
If I saw a strange man in my house, I would probably grab for the sharpest thing around me and then let my momma bear instincts take over! Lucky for any would-be intruder, the sharpest object that is usually within my reach are those safety scissors that cut the fancy designs!

I don't lock my door. Every time I hear a knock on the door or the door bell ring, I darn near have a panic attack! (Same thing with the phone ringing). My door is between the 2 levels of my house, and I have hyper sensitive hearing so I can hear it when people even touch the doorknob. I just hate startling and sudden sounds. Does that make me weird???

It's also just easier for me to have people just come on in because I don't want to have to run to the door every time a kid is dropped off or picked up.
tenderhearts 11:02 AM 07-20-2010
All of my parents knock and wait until I get to the door, I have had parents in the past knock and walk in, I use to keep it unlocked only during the opening and pick up hour then lock it, but because of our new front door, I always have to lock it and all my parents know this. I think most of my parents feel funny just walking in. It's scary leaving it unlocked all day during the day anymore.
JenNJ 11:08 AM 07-20-2010
I keep it locked for safety reasons. I keep it deadbolted once the last child has been dropped off for the day. I do keep it unlocked at pickup time becuase I am usually putting on shoes and it annoying to have to run to the door every 5-10 minutes. But, my dcp are great about giving a quicl knock before entering, or they peek in the window and wave before coming in.

I do have a door knob that I can lock from the inside which keeps the door locked to all outside, but I can turn the knob and open the door without locking it. It was the same price as a normal knob and well worth replacing in my opinion.
AmandasFCC 11:09 AM 07-20-2010
I find it easier to just leave the door open. My front door is always locked but my door leading to the daycare is space is always unlocked. I can see it from where I supervise in the backyard and plus I can hear as soon as someone start playing with my gate so I feel completely secure leaving it unlocked. I have BAD hearing and when the kids are playing usually I can't hear if someone knocks or rings the doorbell.

Of course this wouldn't work for everyone. If my entryway didn't lead directly to the daycare then I probably wouldn't be happy with people walking through my house at will, so I would make sure to set something up so I could hear the doorbell in my playroom and keep the doors locked.
Michael 11:10 AM 07-20-2010
A previous thread on locked doors: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14784
Vesta 11:15 AM 07-20-2010
I show the parents out the door and shut it and lock it behind them.
Nice loud CLICK from the deadbolt, they know I lock the door, they hear it and it's written into the policy that they sign off on.
One grandma still tries the knob, but this is the same grandma that drops the kid off in his pajamas (no go), so I don't expect much from her.

My husband and I are just serial door lockers. It's automatic, door closes, we lock it. We do it at my parents house also, but not on purpose and it even surprises us when we try to open their door from the inside and it's locked.
It's too the point that I check the knob several times when we are going outside to make sure that I haven't pre-locked the door and I'm not going to shut it and lock us out of the house.

It is your home and they don't have the right to walk into it whenever they please, even if their child is inside. You are not denying them access, you are providing an extra level of security in order to keep their children safe and secure from any yahoo (parent or otherwise) who may decide to mosey in off the street. Or for the kid who decides to mosey on out the door....
misol 11:17 AM 07-20-2010

Thanks!
Rox
I keep my door locked at all times. Period. The problem of forgetting to knock is solved. I never understood how someone can "forget" to knock on a door of a home that isn't their own???

You are right - this is a business but it is also your home and you should treat it as such. Do what you feel comfortable with. If you leave your door unlocked after business hours then you will probably feel comfortable leaving it unlocked during business hours. My door is locked 24 hours a day.
SunflowerMama 11:39 AM 07-20-2010
I just keep my door locked at all times. All my parents knock when they drop-off or pick-up and I just come to the door. It's for my security and for the security of my children and the dcks.

If you keep your door locked they won't be able to just walk in w/o knocking.
MarinaVanessa 11:54 AM 07-20-2010
I have this in my contract:

"You are a welcome figure in our daycare. The door is always open to our daycare families during regular business hours. “Open door” does not mean unlocked."

And I simply have the front door locked at all times. I do it because it irritates me to have a parent just walk in to my house and so now I keep it locked. I tell them that for safety reasons the door is kept locked.
Childminder 12:46 PM 07-20-2010
There are door knobs that remain locked at all times, so all you have to do is shut the door and no one can enter from the outside, like hotel rooms or businesses that require you knock. Our local police dept has one. Word of advice though - make sure you have a key hidden outside for when you get locked out or use a key pad lock.

I don't have mine locked at all but have a loud alarm that goes off if it opens.
nannyde 12:46 PM 07-20-2010
Locked at all times. If you want to pi$$ me off try the door handle when you know I keep the house locked. I don't allow parents to walk in without me answering the door.
alyssyn 08:47 PM 07-20-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Locked at all times. If you want to pi$$ me off try the door handle when you know I keep the house locked. I don't allow parents to walk in without me answering the door.
Same here. I always keep the door locked. These days you just never can tell!
originalkat 07:37 AM 07-21-2010
I think it depends on what your set-up is. My house is set way back from the street as you can see in the picture. The parents enter through the side kitchen door where they enter directly into the daycare area. That is where I am in the mornings and evenings. I can easily see who is coming and going and I have a dog who alerts me of strangers (UPS man etc...) I keep the door unlocked from 7:00-7:45 when the last child arrives in the morning. Parents are free to come right in and do not need to knock. I then lock the door and it remains locked until 4:00 PM when I expect my first Pick-up. After she gets picked up I lock it again. I unlock from 5:00 to 5:30 for the rest of the parents. If someone were to show up in the middle of the day they would be greeted by a locked door. But during normal pick-up and drop-off it is open. If I had a different set-up I may very well do it differently.
House Set back from the street.

KItchen Entrance

They walk directly into the daycare area which is gated off from the rest of the house.

For me, keeping the door unlocked during those short windows of time and allowing parents to walk in without knocking works well.
Unregistered 03:01 PM 08-11-2011
We are NOT allowed gates anywhere here in Idaho NOR are we allowed to lock the doors !
Unregistered 08:00 PM 08-11-2011
I was told by the fire dept that I had to have it unlocked, then when they came once (for an inspection) we were outside and the fireman came in and asked why the door was unlocked and he could just walk in! Uhhh, geee, i dunno! Now I am not under their juristiction, so I keep it locked. My daycare is completely away from my house, so its not that I care that the parents walk in unannounced ( i unlock during drop off and pick up) but my fear is a kid will walk out! Yes, watch them and they wont open the door, but to me thats like leave a knife on the floor and watch to make sure they dont touch it! I also would hate to turn around and see a stranger walk in to my house!
Zoe 09:14 PM 08-11-2011
My husband was notorious about forgetting to lock our front door when he left for work at 5:30 in the morning and I was very nervous about people walking in. So we bought one of those automatic dead bolts that locks the door after 30 seconds automatically. I lock the door at all times but if someone were to forget, it will lock itself. Works very well for me and no one has questioned me about it. It's my home, there are children involved, it's a safety issue!
mom2many 09:19 PM 08-11-2011
I would never be okay with a parent just walking in and I'd totally be freaking out if I saw some strange man in my house! I realize it's a place of business...but it's still my home and I expect the parents to respect that. Everyone has always been considerate and knocked and I've never had anyone try to just walk right in.
Christian Mother 09:46 PM 08-11-2011
My husband built a gate in front of our house so that it locks from the inside. It's the only way they can get into the front door. Since my door is located on the side of the house. I give each parent there own set of keys. I sometime will keep my main door locked even when the gate is locked bc I had a father come at diff. times during the day and scare the crap out of me. So I began to lock the door after each parent dropped there kids off. It helped a lot. Now each parent knocks before entering and I have one set of parents that I get dcb at the door and mom says her good byes there. I suggest locking your doors. That will prevent them from entering with out knocking.
mac60 03:26 AM 08-12-2011
OriginalKat.....I love the pics of your house. What an adorable house and great yard. Also wondering, Is that vinyl or ceramic tile floor...I like it.

I have switched to locking my doors after drop offs and unlocking before pick up. Always locked if we are out back. I have some parents that knock and walk in, and some that just walk in. I also have some that think they can walk in anytime during the day unannounced with no knock or phone call.

One day I had 3 kids at the kitchen table eating snack and I was loading the dishwasher...I turned around and a person was standing in my dining room, she had walked in 45 minutes early and walked thru living room and dining room and was standing there looking at me.....pissed me off bad. She never bothered to say hi, I'm early, not a peep.....just standing there. Then I had a dad that basically came barreling thru the front door walk thru the living room then tried to step over the gate and nearly tripped.

People are rude. I have sent out memos on more than a couple occassions, but they just don't get it.......I can hardly wait till 3 kids start different schedules of preschools.....as they will all have to ring the door bell before I let them in.

I have been locking my doors all summer, I have even ignored one particular mom when she knocks on the door, I put up a new doorbell and she refuses to use it. ugg.....
PitterPatter 04:39 AM 08-12-2011

Thanks!
Rox
I keep my door locked at all times during daycare hours. I am here to protect children and in this day and age I don't trust anyone. I have it in my contract that I will keep the door locked during DC hours to ensure the safety of their children. I also had to add a statement of sometimes before or after daycare hours I may have the door open but that I expect them to respect my home and knock even if my door is open. I have had some bad experiences with unlocked doors in the past! Clients are told the hours but they don't seem to care much if THEY need something. I have people pop in before daycare and evenings. Even once on a weekend evening!! So I started making changes.

Once in the AM before DC opened I was upstairs in the restroom. I had the doors shut but unlocked as I would be right back and no kids were here anyway. When I came down I found DCB sitting on my couch and DCM looking through things on my entertainment center in the living room!! When I asked what she was doing she said "oh the door was unlocked and I thought u heard us come in" The next day I went to fill my Sons prescription and found it was missing! It had been in a drawer on the ent center top shelf!

Another time was 10:00 at night on a Saturday I was watching a movie with a guy friend and had the door open to enjoy the breeze when a DCD just walked in the house and yelled "Hey got your money". He walked in wearing full "BLING" looking like a pimp or drug dealer and handed me the wad of doallar bills which was only like $30 but looked like much more. I don't know if I was more mad that he invaded my privacy or that he made me look suspicious in front of my friend. I have had other times this same DCD and another would just walk in. I hate it when anyone walks in but the DCDs really scare me especially when I have no idea they might enter. I started keeping my doors locked all the time now.

Others are just parent's walking in at will with no knock before daycare oficially opened just because my door is open and they want to get to work early. I'm sorry but this is still a home so that needs to be respected 1st in my opinion. We are not friends, we are not family, there is a line that gets crossed when I can't have privacy in MY own home.

My prob is solved but I no longer have an open door.
daysofelijah 04:46 AM 08-12-2011
I keep it locked. I have some parents that can't get it through their heads that it is rude to just walk into someone else's house without knocking first, even though I have dropped less than subtle hints when they have done it. The knob stays locked all the time. I keep a lock away key under the deck because I (or one of the kids) have forgotten to unlock it when going outside before!
Unregistered 05:10 AM 08-12-2011

Thanks!
Rox

A home daycare is something all together different imo, it is someone elses home period. And as such they should be acting as guests when dropping their children off. Sadly you have some very rude people and sometimes just have to be blunt.
Myself I would never keep my door unlocked, and have you thought of getting a security door with a spring....because when they come in it will close shut. But what I would do is personally lock it when everyone leaves. I also have a top lock that the children can't reach so I always lock that as well. My parents aren't allowed too far out of the foyer, and everything is gated mainly to keep the parents out of the rest of my home which works quite well.
I also don't go outside until all the children have arrived, so maybe just changing your routine and being vigilant about locking up should nip that. Worse case senerio tell this lady, and as for not paying charge her late fee's; that usually works. Good luck
Kaddidle Care 06:10 AM 08-12-2011
For the safety of the children and yourself, keep it locked.

You probably really startled the intruder asking him if you could help him when he was probably looking to steal something!

Too many nutters out there - keep it locked.
meganlavonnesmommy 07:17 AM 08-12-2011
My licensing requires me to keep all doors locked at all times. So there is no question from parents.

I prefer it to be unlocked so parents can come and go. I am usually on the floor playing with kids, and its easier for them to just come in rather than me get up and go answer the door. But I lock it because of our licensing rules.

Parents should understand that the locked doors arent to keep parents out, but to protect the children. Its so unwanted guests cant come in your home, and so kids can get out. It just takes seconds for a child to open the door and get out while you are in the bathroom etc.

My biggest concern if I were you wouldnt be what the parents think, but the fact that a stranger just came into your house! That is super scary! How do you get the "wrong house", he had to be entering for a shady reason. Either to steal something, or check the place out.

I would just give all your parents a note telling them what happend with the stranger entering your home, and that for the safety of you, your home and their children that you will keep the door locked from now on. I am sure all your parents will appreciate your concern for the safety of the children. Let them know that they are welcome in your home at any time, but they will have to knock.
Unregistered 07:35 AM 08-12-2011
Unlocked at all times. I have never had an issue. We have a busy neighborhood with people all around at all times. I am not worried in the least. My husband has come home and gone in the back way and scared me more often than I prefer but only b/c I wasnt expecting him to come home on his work days.
Angelwings36 08:51 AM 08-12-2011
I used to leave my doors unlocked at all times. Not any more though!

I had a mom show up to pick up her son, she didn't knock, didn't yell out hello or anything just proceeded to go downstairs. At the time my 6 year old son was having a play date with one of my girlfriends children downstairs and she scared the crap out of him. The boys were rough housing and the mom told them to behave them went back up the stairs. I did not even realize she was in my house until she was at my front landing again and only because I had another mom at the door. I was beyond livid I terminate on the spot and was extremely emotional for the whole night after.

My doors are locked now at all times. No one has a right to wander my house without me knowing they are even in it...EVER!
CheekyChick 08:59 AM 08-12-2011
I keep the backdoor unlocked (state regs) during business hours and my main entrance locked except during drop off and pick up, so the parents can walk right in. Not only do I want to keep weirdos out, I don't want my little ones escaping.
JaydensMommy 09:16 AM 08-12-2011
I think people figure because it is a business that they can just walk right in? But I don't like that because it is my home. I don't have a problem with most parents. I did have one that on the first day just let himself in, didn't even try to knock. So the next day I made sure to lock the door when I knew he would be dropping off. He got the point and started knocking.
mismatchedsocks 09:28 AM 08-12-2011
I am shocked to hear the doors need to be unlocked in some states. That is amazing in this day and age. I could never do that. My doors are always locked....I sometimes even lock the parents in the house while they are dropping off, just out of habit. I have never thought about leaving door unlocked or letting anyone just walk in.
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 08-12-2011
Obviously from reading the posts on this thread, everyone's needs are different and everyone has different reasons for what they do or don't do.

I am having the hardest time getting my daycare parents to STOP knocking and simply waiting for me to come answer the door! I want them to walk right in. Every time someone knocks, it either gets the whole group going or it causes chaos that I have to get up and go over and answer the door.

My set up though allows me to be this way in that I not only have a driveway alarm so I can tell if anyone or anything has passed the invisible line leading up tp more door. (I know they are there long before they get to the door) I also have a video monitoring system so I can visibly see that it is a parent and I have two sets of doors to go through before you reach the coa troom/entryway which also has a half door blocking any access to the kids or my home.

You'd have to be pretty darn quick to get in without me seeing or knowing. As a matter of fact, you'd probably have to be invisible for me to not know ahead of time.

My parents are all aware of the hassle it causes to get up and answer for each one of them but yet they stand outside and knock, and then wait every single time.

If it takes even two minutes to do this and each parent arrives once for drop off and once for pick up and with having 10 parents, that is approximately 40 minutes out of my day to just answer the door!!
daycare 10:15 AM 08-12-2011
doors locked....keep the kids and and the bad guys out!!
I have it in my PHB that the door will remain locked at all times and that they will need to help keep the children safe by locking the door when they leave.

I only have one person that never knocks and tries to barge in.... I tell that person weekly that the door needs to be locked so they need to knock...for whatever reason, they don't get it!!
jojosmommy 01:42 PM 08-12-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Obviously from reading the posts on this thread, everyone's needs are different and everyone has different reasons for what they do or don't do.

I am having the hardest time getting my daycare parents to STOP knocking and simply waiting for me to come answer the door! I want them to walk right in. Every time someone knocks, it either gets the whole group going or it causes chaos that I have to get up and go over and answer the door.

My set up though allows me to be this way in that I not only have a driveway alarm so I can tell if anyone or anything has passed the invisible line leading up tp more door. (I know they are there long before they get to the door) I also have a video monitoring system so I can visibly see that it is a parent and I have two sets of doors to go through before you reach the coa troom/entryway which also has a half door blocking any access to the kids or my home.

You'd have to be pretty darn quick to get in without me seeing or knowing. As a matter of fact, you'd probably have to be invisible for me to not know ahead of time.

My parents are all aware of the hassle it causes to get up and answer for each one of them but yet they stand outside and knock, and then wait every single time.

If it takes even two minutes to do this and each parent arrives once for drop off and once for pick up and with having 10 parents, that is approximately 40 minutes out of my day to just answer the door!!
I agree. I prefer the door unlocked and parents come in as they need. I can see the street and driveway from our playrooms and my kitchen so I have never had anyone "sneak in" as people have described.
Unregistered 11:21 AM 02-16-2012
Sooo Happy I ran across this thread in a Google search. Just what I needed to hear and hope some of you dont mind if I quote you in the note I will be sending home to my Daycare Parents.
Now to vent (lol) : When I first started doing in home daycare I would leave the doors unlocked because it was all family and friends who dropped off and picked up at the same time everyday. And then the door was locked after the last one was dropped off in the morning. Now that I have a few clients who are not family or friends I do not want them just walking in. Actually they were never told that they could just knock and come in. One parent saw my best friend do it and she followed suit. This parent also knew she was by Best Friend, so I feel it is just rude of her to think she should be able to do the same. The first time she did it I just kinda looked at her and said "oh... HI!". That has been going on for awhile and now today another parent just let himself in after barely knocking. Neither of these parents drop off at the same time everyday and somedays Im left wondering if they are coming at all. There have been times when I didn't hear them knock because I am busy with the kids or if I am in the kitchen and the fan is on or Im doing dishes and all of the sudden I hear them say Hello. Scares the crap out of me. We live in a safe neighborhood but it is in the country and the houses are not right next to each other and there are only a few houses out here. And Im pretty sure everyone is at work during my daycare hours. Ive had sales men come around before and have always felt safe. But you never know these days.
Also the other pet peeve is slamming the door when they leave. They know I have babies sleeping and instead of closing the door nicely, they let it go as they are walking. Recently the door handle has broke... I believe because of this and because a few of them let their children play/hang on the handle as they are talking to me and getting ready to leave. I've even corrected the behavior and put one child in time out in front of the parent for the repetitive behavior. Now all the parents are annoyed that the handle is broke and they have to jiggle it until it clicks in order for it to stay shut.
I will be visiting the local Home Depot or Lowes this weekend to find a door handle that will stay locked to the outside like some of you mentioned.
Unregistered 12:18 PM 02-16-2012
In my policy it states:

Parents are welcome to visit any time their children are in my care. For the safety of the children, my door will remain locked at all times.

Having a door unlocked is not even an option for me. This is my home. My family and children live here, and there is no way another person is going to walk through my door at any time without me knowing it. I think I would freak out if someone just came in my house.

I have never had a parent complain or have any issue with this at all. I think that you can tell your families about what happened with the guy who just walked in, and surely they would understand.
icaredaycare 12:43 PM 02-16-2012
interesting topic. I often forget that this forum reaches out all over the world with different guidelines for different areas. I always just assumed locked doors were common sense. around here, most daycares have cameras and buzzers to let people in.

very interesting to read that some states require you to leave your doors unlocked. thanks for sharing this topic.
Sunchimes 12:44 PM 02-16-2012
Mine is always locked, and it was kept locked before I started dc. I live in an older (ca. 1870) house on black dirt. For those that aren't blessed with black dirt, this means that every time it rains, or every week it doesn't rain, the soil...and the house...shift. So, some weeks this door opens and that one doesn't, then it rains, and they change.

Our front door is notorious for not latching when it closes and no one has been able to solve the problem. The indoor cats figured it out pretty fast and stop off at the front door now and then, just to check and see if they can pop it open. So, the door is always kept locked.

I've told all my dcp, and now, when they come in, they lock the door behind them. When they leave, they check to make sure the cats aren't waiting behind the umbrella stand to dodge outside. I have pretty good parents.
AmyLeigh 01:02 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I agree. I prefer the door unlocked and parents come in as they need. I can see the street and driveway from our playrooms and my kitchen so I have never had anyone "sneak in" as people have described.
Same here. I even have bells on my daycare door so I know the instant the door is opened.
daycare 01:03 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:
ditto this!!!
Texasjeepgirl 01:09 PM 02-16-2012
When my daycare was in my home... a traditional house... I kept the door UNLOCKED...
My daycare room was the back of the house...
Parents had to travel through my formal living room...through the kitchen...to get to the daycare room..
My philosophy was... I had to leave the children everytime someone knocked on the door...and.. what if I was changing a diaper... ? It just WEARS ME OUT to have to run back and forth.. back and forth to open the door and let people in... I always felt that no one would come walking in to my house unless they knew they were suppose to be there... ie.. a daycare client.. a regular non-daycare client wouldn't presume to just open the door and stroll in...
But then I moved my daycare in to our furniture building..
I continued to have the open/unlocked door policy... until one day ...while kids were napping.. and I was sitting at my desk.. (5 feet inside the entrance)... the door opened... (I was about to have a FIT because my policy states no NAPTIME DROPOFFS OR PICKUPS)... I stood up...just as this strange lady stepped into my daycare room... I stood there and said.. CAN I HELP YOU WITH SOMETHING... she said.. is this a daycare? I live in the apartment complex directly behind here...and I've seen parents dropping off and picking up... I was wondering if you have any openings available...
I handed her my business card...told her she could call or email for more info.. and politely opened the door and sent her out...
From that day on... I kept the door locked...inconvenient or not...
And.. after a few weeks of irritating inconvenience.. my husband installed a digital keypad entry lock on my door..
It holds several codes...
The daycare clients all have the entry code.. and at night I can put the deadbolt on... also.. we can make codes inactive when we are out of town... out for the evening...etc...
The clients LOVE IT... it gives them the peace of mind that the door is locked...and you only walk in if you have the code...
also.. it auto locks after 5 seconds...so I don't have to worry about relocking it every time..
There are tons of options online ... and you can also buy them at HOME DEPOT...

kayla 02:25 PM 02-16-2012
I have been leaving my door unlocked now after reading this i would like to start locking the door, anyone have any suggestions that i can write in a memo to let parents know why i will now be locking my door???
familyschoolcare 02:33 PM 02-16-2012
For the safety of everyone in the house from now on the doors will be locked. You are still welcome to stop by anytime and see you child. (or what ever wording works for you) just add something to let the parents know they do nt have to call before coming by.
kayla 02:36 PM 02-16-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
For the safety of everyone in the house from now on the doors will be locked. You are still welcome to stop by anytime and see you child. (or what ever wording works for you) just add something to let the parents know they do nt have to call before coming by.
Thanks that should work just fine..
Kim 07:08 AM 02-17-2012
I have a separate entrance for the daycare and both that door and the front door are locked at all times. I live in a rural area and I feel more comfortable having it locked when I am home alone with several children. The only time the daycare door is left unlocked is from 7:30-7:50am when I have 5 families dropping off back to back. I am in the same room during that time prepping breakfast anyway. After those 5 kids are dropped off it is locked again and my last daycare kid that comes later knocks. All the families knock when they arrive for picking up.
Kim 07:11 AM 02-17-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
I have been leaving my door unlocked now after reading this i would like to start locking the door, anyone have any suggestions that i can write in a memo to let parents know why i will now be locking my door???
You could always tell families that it was recommended by your licensing agency or your insurance company so they aren't thinking that something concerning happened while their child was in your care to make you change your rule. My insurance company actually recommends it so it's not a lie.
Tags:2010, gates, locked doors
Reply Up