Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Here Has Made A Great Volcano?
daycare 01:03 PM 01-03-2012
My group is studying dinos and we want to make a home made volcano...

I have looked every where and it seems like a lot of them are very advanced.

Anyone have a link or idea they can share with me?

Thank a million...
Heidi 01:08 PM 01-03-2012
meeee tooo, please...we have been planning on making one!
daycare 01:09 PM 01-03-2012
lol I think I am more excited than the kids....lol
AmyLeigh 01:13 PM 01-03-2012
We have done a simple one outside. Make your mountain out of dirt with a little well/hole in the middle, put in a couple tbsps of baking powder and pour white vinegar over it.
I kept it simple so the older kids could do it themselves. Any more complicated and it becomes "my" project rather than "their" project. Always a hit.
SilverSabre25 01:14 PM 01-03-2012
What's advanced about mixing baking soda with vinegar?!

Build a cone out of clay or playdough, build it around an empty water bottle, stick a funnel in the top, cover it if you wish, pour in some baking soda, then add food coloring if you wish, pour in distilled white vinegar, and watch as it foams...

Or I suppose you could do teh Diet Coke + Mentos combo.
daycare 02:06 PM 01-03-2012
I was looking for the old paper mache kind....cant find it....but I could do the old school play dough one.........
VTMom 02:51 PM 01-03-2012
We did one last summer...made paper mache with flour and water, and strips of newspaper. I used a plastic soda bottle for the center taped down to a box. Before laying the strips down, I wound rolled newspaper around to make the basic cone shape and secured with tape. The kids loved doing the goopy part (most of the kids anyway). Once dried, we painted it and exploded our lava (vinegar, food coloring and baking soda). Easy and fun. Can't go wrong.

* just make sure you know how much liquid you need in your bottle - it'll be hard to figure out once the volcano is surrounding it
daycare 03:06 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by VTMom:
We did one last summer...made paper mache with flour and water, and strips of newspaper. I used a plastic soda bottle for the center taped down to a box. Before laying the strips down, I wound rolled newspaper around to make the basic cone shape and secured with tape. The kids loved doing the goopy part (most of the kids anyway). Once dried, we painted it and exploded our lava (vinegar, food coloring and baking soda). Easy and fun. Can't go wrong.

* just make sure you know how much liquid you need in your bottle - it'll be hard to figure out once the volcano is surrounding it
yes yes this is the kind we want to make... do you have a link or instructions to make it?

thanks for responding....
countrymom 03:11 PM 01-03-2012
you can use chicken wire and then paper mache it. we don't build anything like that. I give my ds (hes 9) a large bottle of vinegar, large box of baking soda and food coloring and him and his sister along with the older dck's go on the deck and go crazy with it. Dh comes home and wonders why the deck is so colorful. The kids love it.
VTMom 03:14 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
yes yes this is the kind we want to make... do you have a link or instructions to make it?

thanks for responding....
I'll have to do some digging after dinner...
daycare 03:16 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by VTMom:
I'll have to do some digging after dinner...
oh yeah...you rock thanks so much.... we are going on a dino dig tomorrow and then Thursday we will start the volcano process.... The kids ask me daily when we will do it, so I want to make sure its a really good one....

Then I will let them do like county mom said and let them do it on their own.
VTMom 03:40 PM 01-03-2012
http://www.dltk-kids.com/type/how_to_paper_mache.htm

http://www.ehow.com/how_2087490_make...e-volcano.html

I think I got the general idea of how I did it from a couple different sites, but the above two seem to describe the direction I went. Good luck! It's fun and the kids really get into it. I had a few 4 year old boys obsessed with lava for a while so this was a blast (get it...blast... volcano...sorry long day).

Have fun!
Sunchimes 05:43 PM 01-03-2012
I put out my handbooks today, and I included some of Nan's ideas on potty training. My kids are just 15/16 months old, but I've had hints for a couple of months that at least one parent is thinking about starting.

Today, a (different) mom said she wanted us to start because her daughter "was really interested in the potty". This child only has a few words--and even fewer recognizable ones. There is no way this child is ready to potty train.

I just smiled politely and gave her the handout and asked her to read it before we began.

If it wasn't for your info Nan, I would be looking at "training" a baby.
daycare 07:49 PM 01-03-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I put out my handbooks today, and I included some of Nan's ideas on potty training. My kids are just 15/16 months old, but I've had hints for a couple of months that at least one parent is thinking about starting.

Today, a (different) mom said she wanted us to start because her daughter "was really interested in the potty". This child only has a few words--and even fewer recognizable ones. There is no way this child is ready to potty train.

I just smiled politely and gave her the handout and asked her to read it before we began.

If it wasn't for your info Nan, I would be looking at "training" a baby.
I think you may have posted this in the wrong place
Tags:crafts, crafts - volcano, volcano
Reply Up