Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Being Held Hostage in Snohomish, Washington.

My wife and I are trying to open a in home center in Snohomish county Washington. The licenser will not return our calls, we called Olympia and talked to a live person once but she is now not returning calls. We actually went to the office in Everett and spoke with a person who said our licenser is not in and that they have trouble getting phone messages with the system they have. We have been playing this game for over a year and are getting close to having our house ready.
Anyone else had problems in Washington like this?
Old 01-31-2020, 11:50 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Have you completed modules one and two online, yet?

https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/services/ear...ensing-process

And the application? - https://www.dcyf.wa.gov/forms?field_...=15-955&title=
Old 01-31-2020, 12:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

Yes we have.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:41 PM

How about your local CCR&R? They are paid to guide you through the process.

https://childcareawarewa.org/providers/

https://childcareawarewa.org/contact/
Old 01-31-2020, 02:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you very much! We will contact them.
My wife had one of the largest child care centers in the state in the early 90s and then owned a center in Idaho. She has been out of the game for a few years and so much has changed in Washington.
One of our biggest concerns is ADA access since our proposed in home is in a basement. We have legal and code compliant egress but for all I know they will require a elevator.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:16 PM

I opened my own in '94, the changes have been overwhelming at times for those of us who stayed in it the entire time. I can't imagine starting over now. I can't even figure out how anyone is profitable within five years with all the prerequisites, now. With our ratios being cut in half and our regulation book going from 45 to 358 pages long during my career. I am not even 50, yet. It's crazy.

Licensing has never been known for their helpfulness, hopefully, your CCR&R will be more helpful for you.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around. Invite your wife. This is the place for honest answers.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:11 PM
Daycare.com Member

I think this is what you're looking for. Here's the link. The key word is "reasonable". Installing an elevator in a home is not reasonable.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleII....htm#asubpartb

§ 36.302 Modifications in policies, practices, or procedures.

(a) General. A public accommodation shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures, when the modifications are necessary to afford goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations to individuals with disabilities, unless the public accommodation can demonstrate that making the modifications would fundamentally alter the nature of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations.
§ 36.302 Modifications in policies, practices, or procedures.

Tags
access, ada, ada laws, ccrr, washington, washington member, washington regulations, washington state