Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>But Its Just The FLU?? UGH
daycare 02:58 PM 08-30-2011
So I have a DCG age 3.5 who has gag reflux. However, yesterday the DCG threw up a record 7 times. All day DCG whined and cried off and on. The parents often keep DCG up really late at night, so it's not really anything different than I experice with her most days.

So around 5:15PM, DCG starts throwing up a ton. All of the food that was thrown up was food that had been digested from earlier in the day. At first I thought that it might have just been the gag refulx, but 9 times out of 10 that happens right after eating and the food has NOT been digested. This was not the case

So I tell DCM as pick up that DCG can't come to DC for 24 hours, basically can't come back until WED. Well now my child got sent home from elementary school throwing up..... So it's not gag reflex its the FLU.

I immediatley infrom all of the parents that the flu is going around and to please keep sick children home. Of course the DCM of the little girl says well it's just the flu, whats the big deal? UGH

Question is, do I open tomorrow or not? If I decide to close, do I have to credit everyone back, since they all pay monthly? in my 8 years, I have never had to close for any form of illness. So now I am questioning what to do.

Oh and if anyone knows how to get vomit smell out of carpet, please let me know. I just had my carpets steam cleaned on saturday (go figure) so I don't want to have to have them done again. I just want to reclean the area that was covered in vomit. I feel like I am get sick just from the smell.

thanks so much...
AnneCordelia 03:03 PM 08-30-2011
OMG, vomit. So gross. I'd probably rent a cleaner for the spot...it's about $40 but would be worth it to me to have the vomit smell GONE.

I don't know that I'd close unless *I* was sick. How old is your sick child? When my school age children are sick they are away from my DC area so I don't close.
daycare 03:10 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
OMG, vomit. So gross. I'd probably rent a cleaner for the spot...it's about $40 but would be worth it to me to have the vomit smell GONE.

I don't know that I'd close unless *I* was sick. How old is your sick child? When my school age children are sick they are away from my DC area so I don't close.
lol.... I know what you mean, my husband said to do the same thing. Just stinks that I spent $175.00 saturday to have it done professionally...ugh

As for my kid, she is old enough to take care of herslef....So unless I get it then I will stay open....And hopefully the vomit smell will be gone by tomorrow...

I didnt have any kids today thank god becuase they are on vacation....
jessrlee 03:10 PM 08-30-2011
Baking soda all over the spot and then peroxide. let it set for a couple of hours and then soak up. vacume as much as possible tomorrow. Hope DD feels better
daycare 03:27 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Baking soda all over the spot and then peroxide. let it set for a couple of hours and then soak up. vacume as much as possible tomorrow. Hope DD feels better
wow now thats a combo, but I will try anything at this point...lol Ok I am gonna do it now... Thanks for responding!!

yes I hope DD is better too. I feel horrible when my kids are sick....
mac60 03:58 PM 08-30-2011
I could not live without my carpet shampooer. You should buy even a cheap one. Vomit here, I use white viningar in the carpet shampooer. Shampoo the same spot at least 3 times. Feel sorry for you, what a mess.

I would of sent her home after the first time. I hate vomit. I wouldn't close either, but tell them if your child has thrown up they can't come till 24 hours vomit free.
AfterSchoolMom 04:19 PM 08-30-2011
Don't put peroxide on the carpet if it's any color but white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peroxide will bleach the color out of carpet! Learned that the hard way when one of my kids spilled some on my brand new bath mat.
Kaddidle Care 04:20 PM 08-30-2011
Ugh! I could never put up with that amount of puke. On a daily basis?
daycare 04:27 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I could not live without my carpet shampooer. You should buy even a cheap one. Vomit here, I use white viningar in the carpet shampooer. Shampoo the same spot at least 3 times. Feel sorry for you, what a mess.

I would of sent her home after the first time. I hate vomit. I wouldn't close either, but tell them if your child has thrown up they can't come till 24 hours vomit free.
well the thing is that the child does have a doctor note on file stating gag reflux. I allow for the child to vomit 2 times before being sent home. however, this time it was once in the am after snack and then did not happen again until right before she went home around 5:15 at pick up. She threw up six more times...OMG talk about a huge mess. There was mounds of food on the carpet in piles all over the place it was horrific. I have never seen that much vomit from one person in my life...ugh
sharlan 05:17 PM 08-30-2011
Poor baby.

Save up and buy yourself a home steam cleaner. They are so worth having.
PitterPatter 05:29 PM 08-30-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
So I have a DCG age 3.5 who has gag reflux. However, yesterday the DCG threw up a record 7 times. All day DCG whined and cried off and on. The parents often keep DCG up really late at night, so it's not really anything different than I experice with her most days.

So around 5:15PM, DCG starts throwing up a ton. All of the food that was thrown up was food that had been digested from earlier in the day. At first I thought that it might have just been the gag refulx, but 9 times out of 10 that happens right after eating and the food has NOT been digested. This was not the case

So I tell DCM as pick up that DCG can't come to DC for 24 hours, basically can't come back until WED. Well now my child got sent home from elementary school throwing up..... So it's not gag reflex its the FLU.

I immediatley infrom all of the parents that the flu is going around and to please keep sick children home. Of course the DCM of the little girl says well it's just the flu, whats the big deal? UGH

Question is, do I open tomorrow or not? If I decide to close, do I have to credit everyone back, since they all pay monthly? in my 8 years, I have never had to close for any form of illness. So now I am questioning what to do.

Oh and if anyone knows how to get vomit smell out of carpet, please let me know. I just had my carpets steam cleaned on saturday (go figure) so I don't want to have to have them done again. I just want to reclean the area that was covered in vomit. I feel like I am get sick just from the smell.

thanks so much...
Carpet I would probably go with a rug scrubber but in case money is tight you can use items from home. I recently had to get vomit out of my matress from my own child. I used baking soda and white vinegar. It will bubble up and break down the protiens. spread the baking soda through the carpet and pour on a little vinegar. Soak 5 mins wipe up with a damp towel and repeat. If the smell seems to be gone then coat with baking soda again and let dry then vaccume it up. Some powder may remain just loosen it with a cloth and vaccume again. My matress is white so I don't know if this method causes loss of color in carpet. I would do a small hidden area 1st. As for my vomit covered matress I could bury my face in it the next morning and didn't smell anything!
daycare 05:33 PM 08-30-2011
I think I am going to do the baking soda alone or just the vinegar alone..

I just paid a lot of money to have the carpets cleaned on saturday, so it's not in my pocket to purchsae a cleaner. However, it sounds like I might need to get one for future.

thanks for posting.....
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:27 PM 08-31-2011
Yes I would close and No i would not credit back to the parents with sick kids.
daycare 12:29 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
Yes I would close and No i would not credit back to the parents with sick kids.
well I ended up with it....so I am here today with NO kids. My husband took my little one to his parents since they are gone out of town so that I can rest. I have not gotten sick in so long that I forgot how much it sthinks to be sick.

I feel bad for kids when they get sick and I am feeling bad for myself today....lol

I had no choice but to close, as everyone got it!!
mac60 12:32 PM 08-31-2011
Do you have a shop vac, the ones that you can suck up water......you could maybe spray and scrub with white vinegar water and suck it up with the shop vac. I think it would work. You will have to repeat over and over but should work. Put a fan on it for a couple days.
daycare 12:34 PM 08-31-2011
I celaned it all up with a scrub brush and loads of towels. I did the vinegar and backing soda and the smell is gone. My husband is going to rent the carpet cleaner later tonight and re clean it again. Talk about a mess....lol
mac60 12:34 PM 08-31-2011
I will say, I learned my lesson with so called professional carpet shampooers. I have had them before, then just bought my own, that are so worth it, and I feel they do just as good as a professional. I have a Hoover Steam Cleaner. Right now I have 32 boxes of laminate in my dining room to be laid.....I am slowly getting rid of carpet in my main rooms.
daycare 12:37 PM 08-31-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I will say, I learned my lesson with so called professional carpet shampooers. I have had them before, then just bought my own, that are so worth it, and I feel they do just as good as a professional. I have a Hoover Steam Cleaner. Right now I have 32 boxes of laminate in my dining room to be laid.....I am slowly getting rid of carpet in my main rooms.
i wish I could get rid of the carpet, but now that mu husband is going to school, its not in our budget. Plus when we bought the house 3 years ago, the carpet was bradnew. that would be a dream though, you are lucky....

I think I am going to look into buy a steam vac. I pay my carpet guy $175+ to clean it every quater. I do enjoy having somone else to do it, but I think that in this case having one of my own would be a good idea.....
LittleD 04:36 AM 09-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
i wish I could get rid of the carpet, but now that mu husband is going to school, its not in our budget. Plus when we bought the house 3 years ago, the carpet was bradnew. that would be a dream though, you are lucky....
I bought a steam cleaner and had to wash the carpet once a week I was so tired of washing the carpets, I got rid of them (felt even though I washed it, it was still unhygienic) and got beautiful click flooring. I have a god and never noticed how much she shed until IO had the new flooring. And I found I was sweeping 3-4x a day, and there was still dust and sand every where. I traded one problem for another. If you ever get the click flooring, let me suggest you get the lighter colored ones. The dark ones (very beautiful) they show every speck of dust!!!
Tags:flu, reflux, vomiting
Reply Up