Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insatiable Baby- Update
EchoMom 05:46 AM 07-10-2012
I'm so upset about this! Yesterday I posted about the 10month old DCbaby that won't stop eating but mom says not to give him anything extra and although has been extremely nice about it has said don't give in to him, don't feed him anything else.

Today she packed 10month old baby for 9 hour day:
1 8oz formula bottle
1 Tbsp cheese
3 Tbsp peas/black beans mixed
2 Tbsp Chex
5 Tbsp cottage cheese/peaches mixed

Is this enough for a regular baby??? I'll have to look at feeding chart again. It certainly won't be enough for him!
cheerfuldom 05:51 AM 07-10-2012
you need to get some good info on amounts for children that age as a guide line for your daycare. Is this food for one meal? does he have breakfast and lunch at home? is mom supposed to be packing snacks as well? maybe she isnt aware of your daily schedule and how often the other kids are offered food in your care?

I would get some sort of guideline going that is more specific for her and either she can follow that or look for other care. you both have to find a way to work together so he isnt crying for food all day! Much of what I have seen as far as serving sizes for one year olds has the portion sizes at half cups or full cups. A tbsp is one spoonful! Plus the one bottle a day does not seem sufficient at all for a 9 hour day. Is it formula or breastmilk?
EchoMom 05:53 AM 07-10-2012
It is formula. Yes she knows how often the other kids eat. I'm assuming he has breakfast and dinner before and after. He comes about 9am and leaves about 5pm. The food I listed is supposed to be for the entire day here.
EchoMom 06:03 AM 07-10-2012
Actually I just found out the bottle she's sending me is only 6 oz. I thought it was 8.
DCBlessings27 06:09 AM 07-10-2012
A 6 oz bottle for the day? The chart and the minimum of 14-16 ounces is just for the daycare day (from Blackcat's chart). Even if he gets a bottle for breakfast, he should still have probably 10 ounces minimum at your house and then more formula at home. He's likely starving because he's not getting near enough of what he needs from the formula.

From the original post, someone said that you should hand the mom that printout or have her bring you a note from a doctor stating a feeding plan. I completely agree with that advice.
e.j. 06:14 AM 07-10-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
I'm so upset about this! Yesterday I posted about the 10month old DCbaby that won't stop eating but mom says not to give him anything extra and although has been extremely nice about it has said don't give in to him, don't feed him anything else.

1 8oz formula bottle
1 Tbsp cheese
2 Tbsp Chex

Is this enough for a regular baby??? I'll have to look at feeding chart again. It certainly won't be enough for him!
According to the feeding chart I have from my food program, a 10 month old should get:
Breakfast: 6-8 fl. oz of formula, 2-4 tbsp of iron fortified cereal,1-4 tbsp of fruit or veggie.
Lunch: 6-8 fl oz of formula, 1-4 tbsp of fruit/veggie and 2-4 tbsp of meat/alt
Snacks: 2-4 fl oz formula, 0-2 bread or cracker.

Looks to me like she's not packing enough food for this child for 9 hour day.
pootmcgoot 06:14 AM 07-10-2012
That's not enough. My dd was an average eater to picky eater and ate more than that. At 10 months she was drinking 20ish ounces of formula and eating atleast a cup of fruit, cheese, veggies, yogurt, lunch meat and various amounts of dry cerial, rice and pasta. Sounds like he's gorging himself because she's inadvertently starving him.

Bottle wise she took 5 ounces at each nap (2 naps) and 1 at bed time and 1 with a meal.
sharlan 06:20 AM 07-10-2012
My 8 mo has 1/4 C cereal,2 - 4 OZ of formula, and 1/2 container of fruit for breakfast at 8. An 8 ox bottle at 12, Mom nurses about 2, and another bottle about 4. She is a major chub weighing close to 30 lbs.

My 10 mo is fed breakfast at home and has an 8 oz bottle on the way here. She has another bottle around 11. For lunch she has a container of veggies, one of fruit, and 1/2 a tiny jar of meat along with water to drink. She has another bottle about 3:30. She is only fed table food at home, I give her baby food for my convenience. She is tiny and petite weighing about 17 lbs.
littlemissmuffet 06:29 AM 07-10-2012
This mother is STARVING her child. You need to educate this mother on how/what her child should be eating/drinking in a day. You should also put her in touch with a local nutritionist. Finally, you need to stop allowing parents to bring outside food immediately, and insist that all children eat what you are serving - if that means raising your rates then so be it. I understand this might not be convenient for you, but this child is not being cared for properly and as a responsible adult it is your job to help him!
Kiki 06:35 AM 07-10-2012
Didn't you recently just do an increase in rates for parents so you could provide food? Print out the chart, give it to the mom and let her know it's not enough food, tell her she has two choices: 1-Pay the rate and you will supply, or 2-bring enough food. Or. 3-If she doesn't bring enough food, you will tack the extra onto her invoice for the following week. I guess 3 choices.

E:I agree with missmuffet, she posted as I was posting; it really is your job to help him while he is in your care, mom just might not know the proper portion sizes.
JustAMom 06:57 AM 07-10-2012
That's definitely not enough. At that age, my daughter was still drinking about 28 oz of breast milk every day (in a 24-hour period, not just at daycare). It kind of seems like she is trying to get him off the formula and onto real food. I'm a big believer in, "Food before one is just for fun." Real food should just be for practice at his age, he shouldn't be getting the bulk of his calories from it—that should be coming from formula or breast milk.
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 07-10-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
This mother is STARVING her child. You need to educate this mother on how/what her child should be eating/drinking in a day. You should also put her in touch with a local nutritionist. Finally, you need to stop allowing parents to bring outside food immediately, and insist that all children eat what you are serving - if that means raising your rates then so be it. I understand this might not be convenient for you, but this child is not being cared for properly and as a responsible adult it is your job to help him!

Yes this!!!! She is starving that child by not providing enough food...there is no way he can survive on that amount. The chart I posted on the other
thread is directly from the USDA website and is the infant meal pattern requirements that ALL food program agencies/sponsors require their providers to follow.

Here are a few more charts (they say the same things) but these are easily printable and easier to read

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/he/infantmealpat.asp

http://www.heartlandnutrition.org/Co...uirements.aspx
countrymom 07:02 AM 07-10-2012
just feed him, take the loss and just feed the poor kid. This is why parents make us sneaky, things like this. Also, I find what she sent him unappropriate. Also, if it gets to the point where he won't stop crying then you need to call her and tell her to come pick up. Ask her what she is feeding him for breakfast.
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 07-10-2012
Not enough. Not no way, not no how.

This might help you: USDA Meal Patterns This is what the food program requires for feeding, and you can quite happily claim that "regulations require you to adhere to these guidelines while a child is in your care."

Paraphrased slightly from the patterns, a 10 month old should be eating at minimum:
Breakfast: 6-8 fluid ounces of formula1 or breastmilk
2-4 tablespoons of infant cereal
1-4 tablespoons of fruit or vegetable or both

Lunch: 6-8 fluid ounces of formula1 or breast milk
2-4 tablespoons of infant cereal; and/or
1-4 tablespoons of protein (meat, cheese, cottage, cheese, beans, etc) and
1-4 tablespoons of fruit or vegetable or both

Snack: 2-4 fluid ounces of formula1 or breast milk or fruit juice
0-½ bread or
0-2 crackers
SilverSabre25 07:09 AM 07-10-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
just feed him, take the loss and just feed the poor kid. This is why parents make us sneaky, things like this. Also, I find what she sent him unappropriate. Also, if it gets to the point where he won't stop crying then you need to call her and tell her to come pick up. Ask her what she is feeding him for breakfast.
Definitely agree with just feeding him and taking the loss, and that this is why we get sneaky.

Curious though--why do you find her food selections inappropriate? Do you mean the food themselves, the amounts, or the fact that it's not enough?
Lilbutterflie 07:15 AM 07-10-2012
If it were me; I would call mom and tell her you need her to bring him more food by such and such time (set a time limit for when you think he'll be out of food). When she brings it, give her the printout of the USDA meal recommendations for his age. Remind her that for an extra fee, you will provide all the nutritious food he needs so she no longer needs to worry about it! If she still chooses to bring her own food, let her know that if it's not enough (according to the USDA recommendations); you will be calling her again to bring more food.
Sunshine44 08:35 AM 07-10-2012
I didn't read all previous responses, but no ONE bottle for a baby for nine hours is NOT enough and that is why this baby is upset. Babies I've had have a bottle at least every four hours. I think under a year is pretty much on demand to an extent.
Buxterboo 09:33 AM 07-10-2012
Side comment- I actually have in my handbook "children will not go hungry here. If they are hungry they will be given food" it's the only thing that is underlined. My bigger worry about people watching my own kids is that they hare hungry/crying and not being fed and hugged.

I hope the mom will be receptive to the advice and handouts that you give her!
Heidi 11:07 AM 07-10-2012
Our regs here say we MUST offer children nourishment every 3 hours (an exception is made for when they are sleeping). Even if the parents provide the food. I believe they also say that parents must be given a copy of the food guidelines. Our licensing requirements are identical to the food program...so naturally, if you're licensed in WI, you might as well be on the food program too.

Wierd, how much variation there is state-to-state, eh?
Buxterboo 10:22 AM 07-11-2012
How are things going today?
EchoMom 11:37 AM 07-11-2012
Thanks for asking Buxter.

Yesterday I fed ONLY the food that DCM sent and told her so at the end of the day. I told her it was eh, um, er, well, alright. I told her I put him in the PNP while other kids were eating so he couldn't get to it and I said that he fussed some but I tried to give him more water.

Today I'm still concerned. She sent for the 8 hour day:
6oz bottle.
1 Tbsp cheese
dozen blueberries
1 Tbsp chicken
2 Tbsp mixed veg.
2 Tbsp goldfish crackers

And it makes me sad because all the other families opted to start paying the extra $2/day to have me cook for their kids. Today all the kids had wheat tortilla quesadillas with cheddar cheese, black beans, chicken, clementines, apples, milk for lunch.

My own son had the same thing as the toddler and SA and loved it. DCbaby 10month would have loved it too but mom thinks I would over feed him I guess so she packs. But I make really good food and I wish I could just feed him, which I was doing but have to stop now and give her way a try.
Breezy 11:43 AM 07-11-2012
Thanks for asking Buxter.

Yesterday I fed ONLY the food that DCM sent and told her so at the end of the day. I told her it was eh, um, er, well, alright. I told her I put him in the PNP while other kids were eating so he couldn't get to it and I said that he fussed some but I tried to give him more water.

Today I'm still concerned. She sent for the 8 hour day:
6oz bottle.
1 Tbsp cheese
dozen blueberries
1 Tbsp chicken
2 Tbsp mixed veg.
2 Tbsp goldfish crackers

And it makes me sad because all the other families opted to start paying the extra $2/day to have me cook for their kids. Today all the kids had wheat tortilla quesadillas with cheddar cheese, black beans, chicken, clementines, apples, milk for lunch.

My own son had the same thing as the toddler and SA and loved it. DCbaby 10month would have loved it too but mom thinks I would over feed him I guess so she packs. But I make really good food and I wish I could just feed him, which I was doing but have to stop now and give her way a try.
Poor baby I have a daycare baby that mom brings food for. 12 months old and she gets cherrios and a few cans of pureed baby food. And formula. She only eats a few ounces o formula all day... The child will not eat. No matter what I do!
Unregistered 12:33 PM 07-11-2012

1 8oz formula bottle
1 Tbsp cheese
2 Tbsp Chex

Uhhh no way is that enough, my 5 month old eats 5 6oz bottles a day adding up to 30oz, baby cereal twice a day adding up to about a cup, a stage 1 container of fruit and a stage 1 container of veggies. I know as babies get older they eat less formula but the baby should ahve aleast 2 8oz bottles at your house a day.
Reply Up