Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New kids....
Meeko 11:28 AM 07-11-2012
May - Aug always brings a few changes. We are in a college town (BYU) and so parents graduate and move away. I usually get one every year or so that moves on.

This year I lost 5 kids to all over the USA..(some of you may be lucky enough to enroll them...all great kids and parents!!)

I have filled the spots and just by chance they will ALL start on this coming Monday

Pray for me....and does anyone have a straight jacket I can borrow? I am sure I will need one by close on Monday!
Sugar Magnolia 11:44 AM 07-11-2012
Wow! I thought starting TWO kids at once was tough! Oh boy. How old are these 5? You know, it seems scary at first, but maybe its a good thing! They can all adjust together? Keep us posted!
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 07-11-2012
wowsa! is there anyone that can come over for a day or two to help with crowd control? a provider friend started 4 or 5 kids in the same day and had some help from a high school girl till things ironed out.
Meeko 01:57 PM 07-11-2012
I'm licensed for 16 and have an assistant too....new kids are aged 1, 2, 3 and two 4's. It's gonna be fun! Two have actually been here before, but their mom lost her job and they left about 9 months ago. Hopefully they will settle right back in.
Kiki 01:59 PM 07-11-2012
Yikes! I hope the two that have been there before settle in well, and help the others to settle. At least it's a group you can train all at once, and you don't have to rinse and repeat week after week like you would if they had all started on different days.
But really, holy guacamole, I am wishing you the best of luck!
BumbleBee 02:31 PM 07-11-2012
Praying for ya! Last January at the center I ended up with 5 new kids and 3 new assistants starting on the same day. I second possibly getting a helper for a week or so. If that isn't possible, I would either be super strict with the most important part of the schedule (nap, meals, toileting, outside) and ease into the rest or go all out and be super strict with the whole schedule from the get go. Depends on the kids and your personal preference.

Not to be debbie downer, but I always found that new kids were angels the first week and the 2nd week their true colors came out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Reply Up