Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 week trial period
PolkaTots 06:34 AM 02-12-2015
How do you handle a 2 week trial period when the child is not a good fit?

We are nearing the end of week 1 and the child is not adjusting well at all, and it's setting off my normally calm group. Not to mention, DCM picked up after close yesterday. It's been a long week...
Blackcat31 06:40 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
How do you handle a 2 week trial period when the child is not a good fit?

We are nearing the end of week 1 and the child is not adjusting well at all, and it's setting off my normally calm group. Not to mention, DCM picked up after close yesterday. It's been a long week...
At the end of whatever day you want to be done.... just say or write:

DCM, I'm sorry but I just don't think I am the right fit for Jane. I don't think that continuing on for another week is going to change anything so I am sorry but I am going to end our trial period today. I can provide you with the contact info for our area Child Care Resource and Referral if you would like so that you can find care arrangements that meet your needs.

Thank you

Don't feel bad, don't be passive-aggressive or it leaves the whole issue open to negotiation (and it sounds like you don't want that)...just say it and be done.

Breath a sigh of relief and be glad it's over.
Some kids just don't fit.
Its not them and it's not you.
It just is what it is.
Unregistered 08:31 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
At the end of whatever day you want to be done.... just say or write:

DCM, I'm sorry but I just don't think I am the right fit for Jane. I don't think that continuing on for another week is going to change anything so I am sorry but I am going to end our trial period today. I can provide you with the contact info for our area Child Care Resource and Referral if you would like so that you can find care arrangements that meet your needs.

Thank you

Don't feel bad, don't be passive-aggressive or it leaves the whole issue open to negotiation (and it sounds like you don't want that)...just say it and be done.

Breath a sigh of relief and be glad it's over.
Some kids just don't fit.
Its not them and it's not you.
It just is what it is.
I have a child whose trail period ends today and I don't feel dcg and family is going to work. I feel bad for the dcg because I feel dcg has a few developmental delays but parents are in denial and make excuses about why dcg doesn't or can't do things. This is the main reason I will not take dcg because parents have the attitude that I will fix the problems without any consistency at home. Thank you for posting this when I needed to confirm my decision because I so wanted to help dcg but I know I would be stressed and irritated by the parents attitude which has already been shown several times during the trial period if I kept dcg, and would in the end end up terming down the road.
Blackcat31 09:08 AM 02-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a child whose trail period ends today and I don't feel dcg and family is going to work. I feel bad for the dcg because I feel dcg has a few developmental delays but parents are in denial and make excuses about why dcg doesn't or can't do things. This is the main reason I will not take dcg because parents have the attitude that I will fix the problems without any consistency at home. Thank you for posting this when I needed to confirm my decision because I so wanted to help dcg but I know I would be stressed and irritated by the parents attitude which has already been shown several times during the trial period if I kept dcg, and would in the end end up terming down the road.
You are welcome. Glad I could help

One of the best (and hardest) lessons I've learned is that sometimes it's best not to start something that you already know is not going to go well.

Like Craftymom said this week in regards to Kenny Rogers....

"Know when to hold 'em... Know when to fold 'em... Know when to walk away... Know when to run..."
PolkaTots 10:20 AM 02-12-2015
Thanks so much!
Reply Up