Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Rules Out for Our State
Country Kids 04:41 PM 04-08-2015
We just received our new rules in the mail-yea!!!!

1. Toddlers, preschoolers and school agers must sleep on a bed, mat or cot.
Toddlers start at 12 months-yikes!

2. No more 15 passenger vans

3. Must have permission for water play (already have)

4. Must have permission for children to walk to school or bus stop (already have)

5. Substitue must have: first aid/cpr, food handlers, 10 hours training and it seems like something else

6. Car seats must be used only for transportation BUT if child arrives asleep may stay asleep in car seat till they wake up. (I was surprised at this one)
jenboo 05:13 PM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

every center I have worked at before my home daycare has put kids on mats at 12 months

4. Must have permission for children to walk to school or bus stop (already have)

5. Substitue must have: first aid/cpr, food handlers, 10 hours training and it seems like something else
we already have to do this here
6. Car seats must be used only for transportation BUT if child arrives asleep may stay asleep in car seat till they wake up. (I was surprised at this one)
I don't see this lasting long get ready to see police reports of infants dying from positional afixiation (spelling?) In daycares
Bookworm 06:30 PM 04-08-2015

My state has already banned 15 passenger van after several children were killed in a wreck involving the van and another vehicle. The sleeping in the car seat needs to be challenged. It sounds like the people making the rules have never worked in childcare.
Crystal 07:18 PM 04-08-2015

Toddlers start at 12 months-yikes! It's doable. I have always started my 1 year olds on a mat and have never had any issues. If they are tired, they will sleep there easily

2. No more 15 passenger vans Good

3. Must have permission for water play (already have) Good

4. Must have permission for children to walk to school or bus stop (already have) Good

5. Substitue must have: first aid/cpr, food handlers, 10 hours training and it seems like something else Good

6. Car seats must be used only for transportation BUT if child arrives asleep may stay asleep in car seat till they wake up. (I was surprised at this one) I'd challenge it to be changed, but if that didn't work, I'd ignore it and not allow them to sleep in the car seat. Parents have to carry their child from the car anyway, as I don't allow car seats to be left here.
[

Replied in bold above
Gemma 05:14 AM 04-09-2015

1)I start mine on a cot shortly after that anyway so if this is what they want, it wont be a problem for me.

2) I do not transport dcks so no problem.
3) Water permission was already a must have.
4) I do not take SA.
5) I work alone, always have and always will.
6) This one shocked me! It totally goes against the ISS regulation poster they had me hang on the wall last year! ...honestly, I would not be comfortable taking in a sleeping infant, I want to see babies awake, before the parents leave.
Gemma 05:19 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
My It sounds like the people making the rules have never worked in childcare.
yeah, I'd love to see them on this side of the game!
Blackcat31 05:23 AM 04-09-2015

Toddlers start at 12 months-yikes! It's doable. I have always started my 1 year olds on a mat and have never had any issues. If they are tired, they will sleep there easily

2. No more 15 passenger vans Good

3. Must have permission for water play (already have) Good

4. Must have permission for children to walk to school or bus stop (already have) Good

5. Substitue must have: first aid/cpr, food handlers, 10 hours training and it seems like something else Good

6. Car seats must be used only for transportation BUT if child arrives asleep may stay asleep in car seat till they wake up. (I was surprised at this one) I'd challenge it to be changed, but if that didn't work, I'd ignore it and not allow them to sleep in the car seat. Parents have to carry their child from the car anyway, as I don't allow car seats to be left here.
Originally Posted by CoachingForQualityImprovement:

Replied in bold above

I agree with everything Crystal said.

I too would challenge the car seat rule. Most times minimum standards are not best practice and safety trumps minimum standards 10/10 times in my opinion.

I also don't allow car seats on my property so all infants must be carried in and handed to me awake. I will not accept a sleeping child into care.
Country Kids 07:22 AM 04-09-2015
From what I'm reading these were rules that were put together with much input from childcare workers. They have been in the works for a year or so and have now put officially down on paper. We would receive emails to give imput on them, so there must have been enough input in favor on the carseat one to pass.
Unregistered 07:35 AM 04-09-2015
Oregon?
They also changed the SA age, it's kindergarten now instead of the months prior to first grade. Yes!!
Country Kids 07:48 AM 04-09-2015
The kindergarten rule is years to late for me though. It would have been so nice to have this about oh for the last 18 years.

Our school district is now going to full day kindergarten so it won't even matter now to me as I won't be having kindy's here anymore.
CraftyMom 07:49 AM 04-09-2015
I agree with all the new rules except the last one. However, couldn't you have your own rule for that? The rule is there for those who don't want to wake up an infant, so they are covered. However, you could have your own policy that says "I will not leave a child sleeping in a car seat or carrier. If your child arrives sleeping they will be moved to a play pen"

From what I understand, state regs are the minimum allowed, but you could go above and beyond
jenboo 09:19 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I agree with all the new rules except the last one. However, couldn't you have your own rule for that? The rule is there for those who don't want to wake up an infant, so they are covered. However, you could have your own policy that says "I will not leave a child sleeping in a car seat or carrier. If your child arrives sleeping they will be moved to a play pen"

From what I understand, state regs are the minimum allowed, but you could go above and beyond
Im very concerned about the not-so-smart providers who think that leaving infants sleeping in the carseat is not dangerous because licensing says its okay to do.
DaveA 10:24 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Im very concerned about the not-so-smart providers who think that leaving infants sleeping in the carseat is not dangerous because licensing says its okay to do.
This is the part that worries me. I worry that a newer/ less informed/ lazier would do just that.
Blackcat31 10:42 AM 04-09-2015
From what I'm reading these were rules that were put together with much input from childcare workers. They have been in the works for a year or so and have now put officially down on paper. We would receive emails to give imput on them, so there must have been enough input in favor on the carseat one to pass.
CK, are providers in your state required to take SUIDS/AHT training as part of the initial and continuing process of being licensed?

In my state we are required to take some form of those trainings on a yearly basis so the car seat rule would be moot for us as the SIDS/AHT training would demonstrate and teach us about safe sleep.

I would "hope" providers are smart enough to at least understand the concept of CYA in regards to best practices but since that isn't a guarantee...

Of course, there are providers out there that do know and are required to follow safe sleep practices and still don't.
CraftyMom 11:25 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Very true. I was thinking along the lines of parents insisting the provider lets the baby sleep and not take him out.

It seems silly that they changed this rule. There has been so much emphasis on safe sleep, now they are making exceptions. The rule was there for a reason to begin with, why change it?

I can see where providers WOULD want it changed. If the baby arrives sleeping and you move him to a play pen, most of the time he will wake up and not go back to sleep, which can be a pain. But why take a chance?
Country Kids 11:41 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
CK, are providers in your state required to take SUIDS/AHT training as part of the initial and continuing process of being licensed?

In my state we are required to take some form of those trainings on a yearly basis so the car seat rule would be moot for us as the SIDS/AHT training would demonstrate and teach us about safe sleep.

I would "hope" providers are smart enough to at least understand the concept of CYA in regards to best practices but since that isn't a guarantee...

Of course, there are providers out there that do know and are required to follow safe sleep practices and still don't.
No trainings at all-I learned most of that here on this forum! Never ever have heard anything on the car seat sleeping as a parent or as a provider.
Country Kids 11:43 AM 04-09-2015
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Very true. I was thinking along the lines of parents insisting the provider lets the baby sleep and not take him out.

It seems silly that they changed this rule. There has been so much emphasis on safe sleep, now they are making exceptions. The rule was there for a reason to begin with, why change it?

I can see where providers WOULD want it changed. If the baby arrives sleeping and you move him to a play pen, most of the time he will wake up and not go back to sleep, which can be a pain. But why take a chance?
There was never a rule so they didn't change anything. This was actually a very new rule-nothing before has ever been in our book about carseats.
Unregistered 09:42 AM 04-10-2015
It also says we can use a couch or bed for toddlers. A 1 year old sleeping on the couch???..........
Unregistered 05:03 PM 04-10-2015

Toddlers start at 12 months
Could a pnp mattress be considered a mat? I think so. Word play...
Reply Up