Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Specific Questions Will Reveal "AP" Method Users?
KiddieCahoots 11:07 AM 07-03-2015
I seem to attract parents that use methods similar to Attachment Parenting....used the wrong way.
Or...... that is just the majority of parenting style in my area....haven't quite figured this out yet.

Either way, I just had a dcm of a dcb 5months actually expect me to stop preparing lunch for 3 other children, just to hold her dcb, who's needs had ALL been completely met....and then some!
Mind you, this is a dcb that has been conditioned to be held...constantly! And will cry/scream inconsolably if I don't hold him. Also dcb is unable to sleep on his own or stay alseep, along with many other challenges that just do. not. belong. in group care.

So I consider to be dodging a bullet by this family leaving.

The thing is.....I'm obviously a terrible judge of character. I'm learning how to recognize the AP style a little faster, and ending the business relationship in the first few weeks, but I'd like to be able to recognize them during the interview, to avoid having to term a family at all.

What specific questions would you ask to discover if they are AP style parents, without coming off as an uncompassionate provider. Because lets face it, we know what this AP style is all about, because it's kind of a deep understanding of the development of infant/toddlers. Most parents don't, hence why so many are using AP in the wrong way, and if we phrase our interview questions the wrong way, we may scare good perspective clients off, with the wrong impression of ourselves.
Oh the delimma!
Controlled Chaos 11:43 AM 07-03-2015
1. Tell me about your parenting style
2. What is your night night routine like?
3. How does little one nap at home?
4. How much tummy time does he currently get? How does he like exploring/playing on the floor?
5. Who else has cared for little one other than mommy and daddy?
AuntTami 01:05 PM 07-03-2015
My favorite question is "how do you put little one to sleep?" That generally will tell me that I should at least be listening for other clues.
"How do you put little one to sleep?"
"Where does little one sleep?"
"what do YOU do when baby has had all of his needs met, but he's still crying?" (I know what I do, but I want to hear how they handle it)
nannyde 03:25 PM 07-03-2015
I think the first question you might want to ask is if you can stay in business long term if you eliminate attachment parent kids. If you are confident there are enough non ap kids on the market then just ASK the question... Do you know what attachment parenting is and if so do you prescribe to it? If they don't know it by name then discuss the major tenants and ask about those.

Attachment parented kids aren't a protected class. You can openly refuse them without worrying about any reprisal.
lblanke 09:19 PM 07-03-2015
If one of the parents is wearing the baby, that is a big clue. Ask if they have read Dr. Sears and, if so, did they find it helpful. Although just asking is the best way. If they are, they will know.
childcaremom 03:20 AM 07-04-2015
Talking about naps is usually the big giveaway for me. I will have a frank conversation about my nap expectations (to bed awake, independently falling asleep, in pack and play) and I can usually tell whether or not it's going to work by the parents reaction to that.

I also look for clues during the interview. I encourage parents to put the child down to explore while we talk. My interviews are usually about an hour long.I can then watch how well the baby can play independently and the parents' reactions to crying or fussing.

In all honesty, most of the families that AP have come right out and said that they were. Makes it easier for me
KiddieCahoots 01:14 PM 07-07-2015
Thank you ladies!

I've definitely got to revise my interview questions.

Nannyde, you bring up a good point! Hopefully your next book will give us tips on how to handle AP children without terming? .........
Tags:attachment parenting techniques, teaching methods
Reply Up