Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Magical Blankets
Controlled Chaos 12:19 PM 08-10-2015
I just wanted to thank you all for the idea of the one child per blanket training. I had never needed it before. But recently when I have been making lunch they have been getting physical, throwing toys, being generally insane. So, I put a bunch of manipulative toys, blocks and animals in giant zip lock bags along with a blanket. When we head upstairs I give each child a bag (ages 15m-5yo) and they put their own blanket out, dump their toy on their blanket, bring me the bag and then "go play toys"! I set my phone to go off every 10m, they switch to a new blanket rinse and repeat. It took 4 days of training...magical! Making lunch is so peaceful now! I had a 15m old drop in today (comes 3-5 times a month) and she always screams while I make lunch. She is super easy the rest of the day - but screams non stop while I cook. Well, today was the first time she didn't! She stayed on her blanket with the other.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Indianadaycare 01:06 PM 08-10-2015
That's awesome! It's great having other input, isn't it?
spud912 01:06 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I just wanted to thank you all for the idea of the one child per blanket training. I had never needed it before. But recently when I have been making lunch they have been getting physical, throwing toys, being generally insane. So, I put a bunch of manipulative toys, blocks and animals in giant zip lock bags along with a blanket. When we head upstairs I give each child a bag (ages 15m-5yo) and they put their own blanket out, dump their toy on their blanket, bring me the bag and then "go play toys"! I set my phone to go off every 10m, they switch to a new blanket rinse and repeat. It took 4 days of training...magical! Making lunch is so peaceful now! I had a 15m old drop in today (comes 3-5 times a month) and she always screams while I make lunch. She is super easy the rest of the day - but screams non stop while I cook. Well, today was the first time she didn't! She stayed on her blanket with the other.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!
That sounds awesome! How did you get a 15 month old to stay on her blanket though ??
Josiegirl 03:48 PM 08-10-2015
Well that's a cool idea! Glad it's worked out so well for you!
AuntTami 06:28 PM 08-10-2015
Originally Posted by spud912:
That sounds awesome! How did you get a 15 month old to stay on her blanket though ??
Maybe it was a special blanket with straps LOL! I kid I kid.

I need to try this for my group. Lunch is THE MOST chaotic time of the day.
Controlled Chaos 09:24 AM 08-11-2015
I did have to put her back on her blanket a few times

Whenever I heard the blankets suggested before I thought it sounded like over kill and unnecesary but it has become a perfect lunch time solution
Blackcat31 09:38 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I did have to put her back on her blanket a few times

Whenever I heard the blankets suggested before I thought it sounded like over kill and unnecesary but it has become a perfect lunch time solution
We use hula hoops. Works the same though....

It's a great way to teach kids about personal space and boundaries.
mamamanda 09:56 AM 08-11-2015
I do this every time my kids get too rowdy. Works like a charm.
Tags:blankets
Reply Up