Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>My Return Was Rejected...
legomom922 03:41 AM 04-19-2011
So I finally finished all this tax stuff and went to my tax guy I found through a friend and he calls me yesterday and tells me our return was rejected.. because he gets a message saying on eof our dependants SS numbers was already used..So it appears that my husbands ex witch of a wife claimed a kid she is not suppose to. It is written in the divorce that DH claims 2 and she claims 2..This yr she claimed 3!! I call our attorney yesterday and he off for spring week, wont be back till next mon...great terrific... now what...

So does anyone know what happens when this occurs? This must be illegal isnt? Can she get in trouble with the irs? So my tax guy says he couldnt file our return electronically so he had to send it off in the mail, and said we would get a letter. Thats all I know at this point. Can anyone help me understand the process?
TSDaycare 03:54 AM 04-19-2011
just actually had a daycare mom do this to her ex, it is written in the separation papers of who claims each year(they switch every year), she claims she did not know she did it, even though her taxes were done really early in January, so Dad let me know this was going on-he confronted her because his return too got rejected, asked her to pay him the money he would of gotten had he been able to claim the child- she said NO!!! There were some forms that he would need to fill out for the IRS, she would be in trouble, so she decided to pay him the money......
momofsix 04:27 AM 04-19-2011
We had the same problem one year, and I freaked out
We didn't know until I tried to e-file that one of our adopted girls' birth mom used hes SS# to claim her. I called the IRS right away and expalined what happened. They really didn't care that I called (as in didn't take any info-it must happen a lot) They said to mail our return in, and not to worry (yeah right!) They would send a letter to each person claiming her and ask each to double check records. If you have the legal right to claim, you do nothing. The IRS told me that if she fought it, we would both have to try to prove our claim (birth cert. or any proof at all that we had...not like you have to save reciepts for your own kids or anything!) If you have anything in writing that says youget to claim her that should be proof enough.
We still got our refund right away. The inquiry letter took about another year. I'm guessing the birth mom said it was a mistake...she had just recently gotten out of jail for fraud and I'm sure she didn't want to go back
legomom922 05:33 AM 04-19-2011
Originally Posted by momofsix:
We still got our refund right away. The inquiry letter took about another year.:

So are you saying that while this was going on you still got your refund that you were suppose to get? or did you get the refund in the wrong amount?

Now you said the inquiry took a yr? So thsi means this won't be resolved for a whole yr???

How long did it take to get a letter from the IRS?

Remember Momofsix in my other thread I talked about my DH's crazy ex? herre's proof! LOL she is always causing trouble!!
momofsix 06:03 AM 04-19-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
So are you saying that while this was going on you still got your refund that you were suppose to get? or did you get the refund in the wrong amount?
We got the amount we sent in for, I was surprised by that!

Now you said the inquiry took a yr? So thsi means this won't be resolved for a whole yr???
I think it took almost a year for them to send a form letter that simply said something like "Someone else (they won't tell you who) has used this SS# as a dependent on their return. Please check your records to be sure you have the correct SS# and you are entitled to claim it as a dependent. If you are entitled, do nothing." Of course that's not the exact wording, but that's the general idea.

How long did it take to get a letter from the IRS?
The above mentioned is all we got from them, ever. They never said anything else about it, never said it was resolved or anything.

Remember Momofsix in my other thread I talked about my DH's crazy ex? herre's proof! LOL she is always causing trouble!!
Yeah, so sorry you have to deal with that kind of stuff. Try not to let it stress you out!
legomom922 08:30 AM 04-19-2011
Well as long as we still get what we are suppose to get, I wont stress out.
Reply Up