Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Days and Schedules
SquirrellyMama 10:51 AM 07-20-2012
Does anyone give their families free days to use through out the year? I usually give 5 days they don't have to pay to use. I am wondering how common this is.

Also, anyone here that doesn't have a set daily schedule? I have such a hard time with schedules. If I have one I am very strict about it where nothing is fun. I have a hard time with having a schedule but being flexible also.

If I don't have a schedule then I'm super flexible but I'm not sure how professional that is.

Kelly
DaisyMamma 11:01 AM 07-20-2012
My current families get 1 week of vacation that they don't have to pay. This was eliminated for incoming families as it isnt common in my area and turned out to be a financial burden.

My schedule is flexible and I feel the same as you. I'm thinking of doing a schedule starting with the school year.
SquirrellyMama 11:05 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
My current families get 1 week of vacation that they don't have to pay. This was eliminated for incoming families as it isnt common in my area and turned out to be a financial burden.

My schedule is flexible and I feel the same as you. I'm thinking of doing a schedule starting with the school year.
I've thought about making them take all five days at once which would make it easier for me but I haven't done that yet. I think I'll keep it in the contract for now but think about doing away with it should I ever get a new family in.

I wonder if I could do a general schedule but not have times attached. That way we wouldn't feel pressed to move on or stay with an activity but I also won't throw my whole day off without some direction.

K
DaisyMamma 11:07 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I wonder if I could do a general schedule but not have times attached. That way we wouldn't feel pressed to move on or stay with an activity but I also won't throw my whole day off without some direction.

K
Good idea, I think I will do this as well!
cheerfuldom 11:10 AM 07-20-2012
I dont do any free days....I guess I dont understand why a provider would be working for free?

Taking unpaid vacation or time off is another story....but I give myself paid vacation so again, not applicable to me.
SquirrellyMama 11:14 AM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I dont do any free days....I guess I dont understand why a provider would be working for free?

Taking unpaid vacation or time off is another story....but I give myself paid vacation so again, not applicable to me.
They can take the free days for use with illness or vacation. There are only 5 so if they go over that then they have to pay for days when they are out for illness or vacations. They can't bring the child and not pay me.

K
cheerfuldom 12:34 PM 07-20-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
They can take the free days for use with illness or vacation. There are only 5 so if they go over that then they have to pay for days when they are out for illness or vacations. They can't bring the child and not pay me.

K
OH! I was misunderstanding completely....I thought that you were offering days were the child could be in care but the parents not pay. I see what you are saying although I do not offer anything like this. Too annoying to keep track of and it is a loss of income to me with no benefit (for me).
Kiki 12:35 PM 07-20-2012
I have vacation days set aside for parents. They only get 10 each year, and once they use them all, I don't offer any other discounts.
Crazy8 12:37 PM 07-20-2012
I give 1 week (5 days if they are f/t) vacation to my families. This summer I wanted some more time off so gave them the option of up to 2 free days a week for the summer months as long as they give me notice - so far none have taken me up on it.
Country Kids 01:24 PM 07-20-2012
I don't have the parents pay if I'm off for vacation, sickness, personal days, etc. Much easier to keep track of=

They have to pay for any time they take off. I have in my handbook if I'm open and you aren't here for a scheduled day then you are having to pay.
spud912 02:00 PM 07-20-2012
I give the parents 2 weeks unpaid a year for vacation purposes. I also take up to 2 weeks unpaid off a year. In an ideal world, these 2 weeks would coincide, but they never do.

As far as schedule, I have a set schedule I stick to. I am flexible on the activity times, but not on the other scheduled blocks of time. For example, my meal and snack times, nap times, restroom breaks and free play times around meals are set in stone. I am flexible with my outdoor time, arts & crafts, circle and school times, and afternoon free play. Basically, I am "flexible" between 9 and 11 am and 3:30-5 pm (if you call that "flexible" ).
Truly Scrumptious 03:51 PM 07-20-2012
I don't allow any free days or weeks for that matter and my schedule doesn't have times listed.
daycarediva 04:23 PM 07-21-2012
I used to offer 5 'vacation' days. But I got into an argument with a family whose kid comes m-thurs, and wanted 5 Fridays free. Her reasoning was that it wasn't any different. (Yes, it really is. Watching a kid all day free, versus not being paid for not watching him) Then I had families argue with me about which days they took off (I wrote the days on the back of their contract, but neglected to have them sign for them. Just a pain, in my opinion. So I amended my contracts to allow no 'free' days.
Reply Up